Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Racially segregated amusement parks? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 699
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thomas Sugrue talked today about how even the amusement parks were segregated as were many other institutions as well as public swimming pools. Anyone have memories, or researched this?

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1046
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Anyone have memories"

------------------

I went to Cedar Point, Bob-Lo, Disney World in the 1970's. I don't remember the color of anyone's skin. I do, however, remember having fun!

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember someone telling me about a laundry they saw when they were young that said "Whites Only" and for the longest time they thought it meant for white items, like sheets and dress shirts. It is true that during Jim Crow, most things were segregated in many states. Those laws held until 1965.

Here in Detroit, Brennan Pools were not segregated when we got here in 1965, I don't know about before that, or about Edgewater, it was open to all in the late 60s.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 700
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently Boblo was only opened to Blacks on Mondays all other days it was off limits. Many other amusement parks closed within two years of becoming integrated according to Sugrue.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2549
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crystal Pools, at Eight Mile and Greenfield. Was a strictly white facility up to about 1953 or so. When court-ordered to allow non-whites as customers, the owner closed the place up rather than comply.

I used to patronize the pools, but never thought much about the race thing, being a kid.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Crystal Pool quite often and Magnolia Riding Stable just west of there. I thought they were both closed because of the building of Northland.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4252
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not locally, but I have a recollection from about 1965 of attempted segregation at an amusement park on the southern shore of Lake Pontchartrain, north of New Orleans. There was an unreasonably high minimum purchase price for tickets for a family to enter, thus excluding impoverished black families ... or so went the story heard then.

I don't recall the name of the park (possibly Pontchartrain Park?) but it was along the lakeshore, not far west of Downman Road.

(Message edited by Jimaz on January 11, 2008)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4253
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that I think of it, about one year earlier, our parents had trouble enrolling us into a local New Orleans public elementary school. It seems our surname, "Moore," was not an uncommon surname among blacks in the area and so we were required to provide proof that we had no more than some maximum percentage of black blood in our genetic lineage. It may sound crazy now but that was the way things were back then.

My parents were angry -- not from any indignancy of being suspected black, but rather because blacks might be excluded on this basis from public schools. I think this was around the beginning of the counter-racism movement.

My father worked for NASA on the Saturn V "moonshot" booster at the Michoud Plant and raised a fuss about it there. Apparently heads rolled because we were all apologetically welcomed into school immediately thereafter.

Sometimes it's the little forgotten family issues that help move the really big mountains. :-)

(Message edited by Jimaz on January 11, 2008)

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 5:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shit. This is sad. Only in 2008 on a Detroit related discussion board would this kind of topic come up, and you people wonder why everywhere else in the country thrives, enjoys economic success and looks beautiful while the better part of the state of michigan reverts to a 4th world country...

Missmich
Username: Missmich

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an unreasonably high minimum purchase price for tickets for a family to enter, thus excluding impoverished black families ... or so went the story heard then.

------------------------------ -------

now this statement is big bullshit, the high price excluded ALL poor people, not just blacks. Sheesh!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6961
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At one time during the early 1930s. When Coleman Young was part of the Boy Scouts, He and his scouts went on a field trip to Boblo Island. Before the amusement park closed, the Boblo Boat captain would let Coleman on because the boat don't let blacks on after 6:00pm. So he was left behind until some good samaritan let him on his boat and head on to Detroit.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure that Sugar Island was one of these. Then again, I never went there and it was closed long before I was around so I don't know much more about it.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3275
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Shit. This is sad. Only in 2008 on a Detroit related discussion board would this kind of topic come up, and you people wonder why everywhere else in the country thrives, enjoys economic success and looks beautiful while the better part of the state of michigan reverts to a 4th world country...

Learning about history causes economic failure? Please explain how you came to that conclusion.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11181
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So these are the 'good old days' that people reminisce about?

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1370
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

you people wonder why everywhere else in the country thrives, enjoys economic success and looks beautiful

LMAO! everyone else in the country looks beautiful? wow, you don't get out a whole lot, do you? [i know this person is just a troll, and the best way to treat trolls is to ignore them, but i couldn't help myself from pointing that out.]

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

We should not whitewash such events in time but attempt to understand the conditions in which they were allowed to exist.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think QF was just pointing out the present effects of past discrimination are sometimes misconstrued.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 406
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Pam. Queensfirst, how could learning about past racial discrimination some how prevent economic growth in the Detroit metro region? Do you think that in New York City, there is never discussion of racial issues?

Kevgoblu
Username: Kevgoblu

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Queensfirst was refering to the idea that though not many would say it outloud in public, lots of people in this region would gladly go back to those "good old days". It is this backward mentality that many progressive thinking people find totally repulsive. Often a result of (under)education. Another factor why we have difficulty drawing new industry to the region.

Where is the most racially segregated region of the country?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2500
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm interested in QF coming back and clarifying his/her comment.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5939
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba was a locker room attendant at Brennan Pools in the mid-1960s. There was nothing segrated about any aspect of it. Inter-racial fights, playing cross-cultural "dozens" was an anthropolists' dream in that locker room. But mostly, everybody got along just fine.

"Yo mama so little, she fall off the curb."
"Yo mama so ugly, gorilla jealous."
"Yo mama so poor, she steal food out the garbage truck."

All facilities at Brennan Pools and other City of Detroit Pools were open for everybody.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 893
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It still goes on with area country clubs. Someone did a thing a while back and recorded a black man calling about membership and a white man calling about membership. The black man was told they weren't accepting new members, the white man was told 5 minutes later to come and apply. Country clubs and those who belong suck.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11185
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Liar. The playing field is even. :-)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6119
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like Queensfinest is having a meltdown today... on every post he's is bitching about something... (I guess that's expected from someone who lives in Archie Bunker-ville).

393bird
Username: 393bird

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the mid and late 50s, I spent most of my Summer days at Brennan Pools in Rouge Park, and there was always a racial mixture, and never saw any problems.
My Father worked at a factory on Burt Road, and I would hitch to the pools, and catch a ride home with my Father. I also went to Edgewater Park often, and there was always a racial mixture.

Gargoyle
Username: Gargoyle

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Bob-lo, Edgewater, and Cedar Point many times in the mid to late sixties. Both black and white patrons abounded.

No Asians, though.......

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.