Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Tanker Accident « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1760
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this like the third or fourth tanker accident in Detroit in the last few years?

http://ap.google.com/article/A LeqM5g9rpir-fBAmSXpnGi1iieAoMN 59QD8U33I8G0

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Semi and tanker drivers through this area drive like lunatics. Many people talk about how semi drivers are the safest on the road, but I disagree. Maybe it was that way 20 years ago but it's definitely not the case today. I'm terrified when I'm near one because of so many of their 'I'm driving the bigger vehicle so I'm going to own this road' mentality. I feel bad for the driver that apparently died, but you'd hope that maybe this would teach a lesson to other big rig drivers to slow down and be courteous!

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1763
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the pressure from employers to get loads from A to B faster, after less sleep, shorter turnaround, more hours driven, etc., must play some role. I don't expect any news about that, though. The news leads with death and disaster and body parts, but the other stuff sounds too much like a "labor" story.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1915
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's crazy!

first gravel haulers flipping over all the time now haz-mat carriers?

who knows what happened here, and as many times as i've seen big rig drivers driving as if in a sports car, i've seen just as many have to react to, at best, the erratic driving habits of those piloting passenger cars around here.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4539
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Trucking safety statistics and a new study on driving behavior found that automobile drivers were to blame 56 percent of the time, truckers 44 percent, according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, a branch of the U.S. Department of Transportation.

http://www.roadsafeamerica.org /resources/truckingsafetystati stics.shtml

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2322
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never hit his brakes - so it probably was a medical emergency rather than good or bad driving.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 258
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a tractor trailer driver here in Detroit for 30 years, i have seen it all. Alot more people talking on their cell phones, texting messages,eating,drinking, and not paying attention. You cannot stop a semi carrying 40,000 lbs , on a dime.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 359
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421, is that a lot more truck drivers "talking on their cell phones, texting messages,eating,drinking, and not paying attention" or car drivers or both?

Never able to look up at see if truck drivers are multi-tasking on the road too.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 4541
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm consistently amazed on the roads at people who will change lanes in front of a tractor trailer, or even a regular truck towing a large boat or trailer, when they see the traffic ahead is braking. Seriously dangerous.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 543
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Driver's name has not been released pending notification of next of kin.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080110/NEW S02/80110035

quote:

The Michigan State Police Detroit post said the tanker, hauling propane, hit a cement wall while attempting to exit onto Dearborn Avenue in Detroit around 8:20 a.m.

The truck lost control, the cab rolled over and the tanker disengaged, falling through the gap between Dearborn Avenue and the freeway exit. The semi's tanker fell about 20 feet onto Melville and Leigh Street below, and exploded in flames that shot 75 to 80 feet in the air. The truck’s cab stayed on the freeway and burned, as well.

The force of the blast blew the end cap securing the end of the tanker, stopped only by a fence around the community center .

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1767
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must have been a spectacular explosion ...

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1768
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, the authorities now say there were two drivers. They've released this photo:

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1769
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From WXYZ-TV:

UPDATE: State police say the driver of a tanker that exploded off I-75 in Detroit was killed in the crash.

A tanker crashed through an interstate guardrail and plummeted near a home below, exploding and setting the truck and the house on fire. Those in the home escaped without injury.

Police say toxic fumes from the fire is preventing anyone from getting too close to the truck.

Authorities also aren't sure what the tanker was carrying.

A motorist says that the cab flipped over the guardrail and snapped off from the rest of the truck.

Northbound lanes of the interstate are closed at the crash site.

--- DETROIT (AP) - A tanker has crashed over a guardrail on Interstate 75 in southwest Detroit and exploded.

The tanker crash caused a house beneath the overpass near the Rouge River Bridge to catch fire.

It is not immediately known if there are any injuries.

The tanker fell about 20 feet from I-75. Flames shot 75 to 80 feet in the air.

Both directions of I-75 are closed in the immediate area of the crash.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1770
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UPDATE: Tanker driver in Detroit crash worked for Grand Rapids company

Matt Helms and Ese Esan, The Detroit Free Press

Created: 1/10/2008 10:15:18 AM
Updated: 1/10/2008 2:01:21 PM

Detroit - A tanker flipped off northbound I-75 from the Rouge River Bridge at the height of rush hour this morning, its payload exploding in flames and causing traffic backups for miles. And investigators say the driver killed worked for a Grand Rapdis company.

The Michigan State Police Detroit post said the tanker, hauling propane, hit a cement wall near the Dearborn Road exit in Detroit around 8:20 a.m. What caused the crash wasn't immediately known. But the semi's tank fell off the freeway and exploded in flames while the truck's cab stayed on the freeway and burned, as well.

“We suspect at this time that the driver was still in the cab” and killed in the crash, said State Police Sgt Ken Dilg. Officers on the scene reported no other injuries or deaths.

Gainey Transportation of Grand Rapids identified the driver killed as Ronald Martinez, 60, of Albion. The company says Martinez was a five-year employee.

A home near where the tank exploded was burned, but occupants escaped unharmed. The tanker fell about 20 feet, and flames shot 75 to 80 feet in the air.

Marco Banner, 29, was inside his home along with his girlfriend and her son at the time of the explosion. They fled and were not hurt.

The force blew out the home's windows and a fire ensued. ...

Look at the photo!

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4805
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the tanker had butane (C4) aboard--not propane (C3). The tanker was only 10% filled, so it might have been sent back to be reloaded nearby. The "reporter" probably saw the red LPG signage on the vehicle and incorrectly assumed it to be propane.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 4459
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

remember the many double-bottom tanker accidents from the late 70s?

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1771
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just going by my foggy memory, it seems to me that more kinds of dangerous trucks weren't allowed on Michigan roads in the 1980s.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2493
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in the area when that truck slammed into the wall and exploded on the I-75/I-375 interchange downtown next to Comerica Park a few years ago.

That was the accident that caused a fire so intense that it melted the overpass. That's why the whole thing had to be rebuilt. The smoke was so bad that it looked like the stadium itself was on fire.

Wasn't it last year when that truck flipped off the I-75/I-94 interchange? Yeah, these things do seem to be happening fairly frequently...

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6111
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember many years ago when one outstate tanker truck accident involved (IIRC) super hot liquid aluminum (which has a very high melting point)... and caused a motorist who was in a car behind the escaping hot liquid to be roasted alive in her vehicle. :-(

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 4461
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

liquid aluminum???

Gnome

Post Number: 544
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a common, but not well-known, practice to transport liquified metal around in what can be considered huge thermos bottles on wheels.

Believe it or not, it saves a massive amount of energy. The liquid metal is only heated once instead of going from smelting, cooling, forming into sheets, then reheating.

With liquid metal, it's poured into molds and poof!, new parts. No re-heating required.

Once you know what the tankers look like, you'll be shocked to see them zooming around.

Lafontaine
Username: Lafontaine

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Video from myfoxdetroit.com

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/my fox/pages/Home/Detail?contentI d=5446306&version=1&locale=EN- US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1. 1

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4250
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Once you know what the tankers look like ...

I'd like to see a picture. :-)

There was recently a story on TV showing how they can blow air through liquid aluminum to make a solid aluminum foam that is very good at absorbing the forces of a collision. Clever!

Gnome

Post Number: 545
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz, I googled "liquid metal" tankers, "molten metal" hauler, "melted metal" ... nothing pops up that matches.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11294
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They've been doing lotsa new things with powdered metals, too.

Curious.

I've seen stuff transported in liquid nitrogen, but never, ever thought they transported stuff at the other end of the thermodynamic spectrum!

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 129
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Driver had a long history of speeding. Wrong guy to be hauling this kind of load.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"remember the many double-bottom tanker accidents from the late 70s?"

Yeah, I was going to mention that.
I recall being in my fathers car and seeing the flames from over a mile away from a tanker explosion at 12 Mile and Dequindre. I think that was around 1977.
I do remember there being quite a few tankers that went up in flames over a relatively short period of time.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4807
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might be able to spot some torpedo cars parked on a siding west of Wyoming, south of the steel company south of Warren.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4251
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, thanks for trying. I searched too.

Gannon

Post Number: 11297
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 2:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great link, Livernois, thanks.

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 5:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"driver had a long history of speeding" ?

what other types of jobs are you recommending that he apply for? especially in a shit economy like michigan...

was probably trying to feed his poor kids. give the bloke a break, no...

Missmich
Username: Missmich

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They showed that on the news up here last night. There does seem to be more of these types of accidents, how awful!

On a side note, damn, those houses are so close to the freeway! Dont tell me people really live that close, its right on top of them!

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2495
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

On a side note, damn, those houses are so close to the freeway! Dont tell me people really live that close, its right on top of them!

I'm guessing the houses were there first...

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2209
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyway, remember the big one on the ramp from I-75 to I-94? Guess that that was several years ago now, but it took like two years to repair that ramp. I wonder who go that bill?

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Double bottom tankers were banned from hauling POL products in the 70's.They went on to a useful life of hauling sewage sludge(biosolids)to landfills or for farm field applications.We had a few "lay over" on exit ramps coming out of the Ann Arbor wastewater treatment plant.No fireballs,only poop ponds.

Missmich
Username: Missmich

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm guessing the houses were there first...

no shit! Just amazed that any one would choose to continue to live there or that it would even be legal to build a freeway and allow the houses to remain so close

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 389
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon,

I apologize. But the way Queensfinest rips on Detroit and MI is appalling.

Gannon

Post Number: 11302
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JR,

Thanks, I only caught that AFTER I chided you here, and didn't get back fast enough to let you know I had MORE of the picture.

Caustic, yeah. I'm trying to keep my opinions OF someone out of contact with them, it seems to stifle conversation with people who might need it most.

We keep everyone isolated, they more easily remain caustic...and trend worse over time.

Trying to build community here...it takes all types to make a village! Where would we be without our idiots?

(I'd be out of a job, for one...)

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2496
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

no shit! Just amazed that any one would choose to continue to live there

Did they?

Detroit's 1950 population: 1,849,568
Detroit's 2007 population: 918,849

Gannon

Post Number: 11304
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the loose definition of 'choose'.

I'm sure they are choosing another location now.

I'm also pretty sure IF they had the ability and chance, they would've slept somewhere else.

I've been around that neighborhood for years and years, playing around it even when that damn Zilwaukee disaster was being assembled on I-75 up in the tri-cities area...but even with all that concrete looming overhead, it was pretty peaceful.

Almost nobody cruised those streets...

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 390
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon,

No problem. After I hit "send", I regretted it.

But seeing like a full page of posts ripping on Detroit and MI just cheesed me off.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 201
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only thing I can find on Google about hauling liquid aluminum is the very post on this thread. LOL

Gnome

Post Number: 547
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the proper wording is "molten" not "liquid".

http://www.energysolutionscent er.org/heattreat/MetalsAdvisor /aluminum/process_descriptions /molten_aluminum_handling.htm

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F05E5D61039F934A3575BC0A964948260

http://www.alliedmetalcompany.com/mobile_furnace.htm

(Message edited by gnome on January 11, 2008)

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My husband's house was the last taken when an expressway was being built. It was early 1960's, so I'm thinking it was I-75. Their neighbors house was not--ended up living right on the service drive. My in-laws weren't offered much for their house, but at least they got something and could move. The neighbors didn't get anything, and couldn't sell their house. Sometimes you don't have a choice.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1775
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's funny to think that people look at houses along the freeway and wonder why they're there. Perhaps many of us have grown up in the newer freeway-fed suburbs and are used to sound walls, cloverleafs, and development deliberately separated from the roar of traffic. We forget that these freeways were rammed through residential neighborhoods, pushed through with a "meat cleaver" -- leaving houses abutting roaring high-speed traffic, stub-end streets that dead ended, neighborhoods that didn't connect any longer, etc.

As to why would anybody live there: Everybody has to live somewhere. Housing along the freeway is loud, polluted, ugly -- and cheaper. Even the suburbs have this kind of stuff. See the north end of "Peasant Ridge" for the suburban version.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 361
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grew up right next to I-75 & 12. In fact, the ol' house is still visible when traveling north. Still, even the constant noise of I-75 didn't prepare me for the alarms, police sirens, horns, and street traffic of living in Brooklyn. Couldn't sleep for weeks when I first got here. Now it's so in my blood that when I'm back in Madison Heights the old neighborhood sounds so quiet and peaceful. It's all relative, I guess.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1777
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Brooklyn is a lot of unusual noises, compared to the continuous freeway roar. Best thing I ever heard out my window in Brooklyn was, in a thick Kings County accent: "What do you mean Kansas City isn't in Kansas? That's crazy!"

Johnlodge

Post Number: 4566
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess that would depend what side of the river you were standing on.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1785
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh. You had to be there... :-)

Steelers
Username: Steelers

Post Number: 2068
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Trucking safety statistics and a new study on driving behavior found that automobile drivers were to blame 56 percent of the time, truckers 44 percent, according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, a branch of the U.S. Department of Transportation.

But at the same time....
There's the Mexican long-hauler issues...
quote:

Before 9/11, Mexican long-haul truckers were banned in the United States. After 9/11, and amid renewed questions about truck inspections and safety, it's argued that Mexico's 18-wheelers should be free to travel anywhere north of the border.

Holding Mexican truckers to 25 miles within the United States - where their loads are transferred to U.S. long-haul trucks -- is a waste of time and money, proponents say.

And allowing Mexican trucks to pass the border willy-nilly hauling heaven knows what is the epitome of "efficiency?"

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1786
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonder what the Teamsters have to say about that...

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080112/M ETRO/801120357

This past spring I drove on that exit ramp on to Dearborn Street. I was with a friend of mine and I mentioned Fort Wayne and since he's never been there we decided to hit Jefferson and drive by.
That exit ramp has to be one of the worst stretches of concrete I've ever seen, huge pot holes that rattle your car. As a matter of fact the large truck in front of us pulled up on the right shoulder to avoid the damaged concrete. I wonder if this played any part in the accident. I checked out the google satellite map and I'm guessing he had to lose control of the rig before the damage concrete starts which can be seen from the satellite, but it's possible he was starting to move to the right shoulder and lost control.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4823
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...but it's possible he was starting to move to the right shoulder and lost control.

Yeah! A flat tire tends to do that, especially if it were one of the two steer tires. Witnesses at the scene say that one tire was flat. Didn't state which one though.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.