Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Thanksgiving Day Parade « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Steamaker
Username: Steamaker

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father took me, my relatives, and most of the neighborhood kids to the parade every year until I moved. Is there still a parade and if so, why isn't it nationally televised anymore? Does anyone have any pics of what used to be?

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its the only Thanksgiving day parade as far as I am concerned. New York's is a joke. Yes Steamaker there still is a parade and it is a big deal. Google "The Parade Company" and you should find some info on it.

Steamaker

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Scooter! We braved the cold, snow, rain and everything else just to go. With so many Detroiters in Las Vegas, I'm surprised they don't televise it here. I think I'll write to the TV stations

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4439
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From 2 years ago Steamaker. Still going strong. This was a warm day. Picture from the top of the Addison.

Thanksgiving Parade Detroit

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1773
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

remember how brutally cold it was two years ago?

Steamaker

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit's marching bands were always the best. Thanks for the pic Lowell!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4443
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And down Woodward it went...

Thanksgiving Parade Detroit 2006

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

best parade memory watching it from the Vernors building, got to drink all the Vernors i wanted didn,t get a belly ache all of thanksgiving weekend. one t-day i,ll wake up and go to it again.

Hawthorne
Username: Hawthorne

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watched the parade from the comfort of the fifth floor of the downtown Lane Bryant store in 1966. A friend of our family worked there. In the mid-80s, while working at WXYZ who carried the parade at the time, I had the pleasure of editing several features going behind the scenes into the how the parade is put together. On two occasions, I was up at 2am setting up the remote broadcast truck that would bring the parade into the people's homes later that morning. Great memories.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 869
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The parade does not get complete network coverage, but it certainly is covered across the nation. I had friends and family in Philadelphia, New Mexico, and Texas that were all able to watch the 2007 parade.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 384
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only time I went to the parade was 42 years ago.

I had to pee and my mother had me do it in the car in my little red rubber boot. Then she washed it.

As long as I live... I'll never forget that.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only a portion of the Parade is nationally syndicated. I believe we have one of the biggest and oldest parades in the nation, no?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2213
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"My father took me, my relatives, and most of the neighborhood kids to the parade every year until I moved. Is there still a parade and if so, why isn't it nationally televised anymore?"

It was on down here in Charlotte, NC...

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 596
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss the ol' Detroit parade.

<313>

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was very young, I remember standing on Woodward freezing and happy to see Santa and the parade. My dad was a young executive in training at Hudsons and he was gung ho to support the company parade. Many years later, my dad had risen to a fairly lofty position at Hudsons and, by the time I was in high school, we were able to watch the parade from inside Hudsons. As I recall, there was a fairly large dressing room area in the men's suits department
that looked over the parade route on Woodward. Great times....

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 186
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WDIV has done streaming video of the parade on on their site clickondetroit.com for the last few years

Its still not the same as watching it on TV, but the technology has improved

That's how I've been able to see it here in Charleston, SC

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6129
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Lowell... did you take that last picture of the parade from the Midtown Vortex? It almost seems that we can see Jesus, the Cave Troll and the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man in that picture... :-)

(Reminiscing about the funniest 2007 DY thread... about the Midtown Vortex.)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.