Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » While driving from Detroit to Port Huron « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bowling relief

years ago, on surface roads, probably Gratiot, I was going through perhaps New Haven or St Claire, and discovered this Parducci on the exterior wall of a restaurant. Inquiring inside I learned that there had been a similar one in the interior, but that it had been tossed into the dumpster during a remodeling. Whooops. In any can, can anyone give me the name and address of where this work is located? Every day the end of "Shadowing Parducci" looms nearer, but there are soooo many loose ends to tie up and I really am hoping that you folks can contribute to a dozen or two of them. eeeeeeeek

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11256
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to my map, Carpy, Gratiot doesn't run anywhere near St. Claire, but through New Haven.

If I had the freedom, I'd drive out there now.

That'd be a nice drive...on a warm but rainy day.

Gannon

Post Number: 11257
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Next town north is Richmond...

Carptrash

Post Number: 1519
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks G, and when you get in your car head West, and just keep going. eeeeek

Carptrash

Post Number: 1520
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carpwoman says Hi, Gman and St Claire Shores rather than Gratiot, - near a bridge (though NOT to Canada) Try that.

Gannon

Post Number: 11258
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back-atcher...e-mail on the way!

I was 'just' telling the story of the Purple Girl to ErikD yesterday...giving a tour of my insanity here.

Ooh, you're gonna MAKE me take that drive, aren't you?! heh

Bigcab
Username: Bigcab

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is located at "The Voyager" in St.Clair, MI at the intersection of Carney dr. and M-29. It is a bowling lane/restaurant / and sports bar.

525 South Riverside
Saint Clair, Michigan 48079

next to the drawbridge in St.Clair

(Message edited by bigcab on January 08, 2008)

Carptrash

Post Number: 1522
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many thanks to you BC and may your toast always land butter side up. eeeek

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1586
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Voyager is actually located at the intersection of Clinton and Riverside. Carney and Riverside never intersect ;)

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2316
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are reliefs just like that in the gymnasium at Grosse Pointe (south) High School. Any chance ? Circa '56.

Carpy - check out the WhiteChapel thread, I added to your review a bit.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5392
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know Parducci did the sculptural work on the Gaurdian. IN fact I thought that most of the things he did were smaller scale touches...

Bigcab

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear Focusonthed,

You are correct sir ! Clinton and Riverside.

Carptrash

Post Number: 1524
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slowly the truth comes out. Thanks all. But I have a new and exciting Parducci question for today. Shortly. eeek

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4517
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do you "eeeek"?

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 376
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's a carp.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4240
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it might have something to do with The Mouse Problem.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4519
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carp are fish. They don't eeeek.

Jimaz, I have every episode on DVD. The only thing I over ordered off a late night television ad.

Carptrash

Post Number: 1528
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I certainly do not disavow my fishy heritage, do not overlook this definition of "carp."

carp 1  (kärp) from Old Norse karpa, to boast.]
To find fault in a disagreeable way; complain fretfully. See Synonyms at quibble.
n.
A fretful complaint.

Figure the "trash" part for yourself.

Now is that something to eeeeeeeeeeeeeek about ?

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 148
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigcab
Are you from the St. Clair area?

Bigcab

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caldogven,

Close..I live in Port Huron. I love Detroit and lurk at this site often. and You ?...

(Message edited by bigcab on January 10, 2008)

Carptrash

Post Number: 1532
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might wish to check out the Mayan flavored (?) Parducci on the Port Huron Bell Tel building. An interesting detail and you might have an opinion as to what's going on in it.

Bigcab

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is a Parducci ? Is it someones name or is it a style of art ?

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6494
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigcab,

Parducci is Corrado Parducci. He was a Architectural Sculptor, who's work graces a huge number of buildings in Michigan, and elsewhere (about 600 total).

Start here for and overview:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C orrado_Parducci

Here's a brief list of buildings his work graces:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C ategory:Buildings_with_sculptu re_by_Corrado_Parducci

Gannon

Post Number: 11277
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Carpy has had us talking in Parduccial shorthand for years and years! What a trek this has been, cannot wait for the book to be finished...it's been quite a journey.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6495
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon you and me both. I've had a space on my bookshelf for quite some time.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.