Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Colbert Report's Know a District: Michigan's 13th « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 553
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colbert Report does weekly segments on the various congressional districts in the US. This one is about Michigan's 13th Congressional District, home of Detroit and represented by Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick.

Some pretty funny stuff here. He takes a couple of jabs at the city but overall it's all in good fun. Lots of props to Motown and the artists that came from here too.

I love the parts where he mentions that Devil's Night activity halted because of Detroit's "Robocop program". And that the city seems even more lovely because it's across from "the worst city in Canada: Windsor. Just... god-awful. I don't even have time to go into it."

Congresswoman Kilpatrick holds her ground pretty well throughout the uncomfortable interview.

Note that in his historical overview of the city, Colbert mentions the "King Riots of the 60s"--not only the wrong name, but he also uses a photo of a burning streetcar from the 1942 race riots on Woodward Avenue.

Check it out here:
http://www.comedycentral.com/m otherload/index.jhtml?ml_video =61108

** After clicking the link, BE SURE to click the giant "Watch Video Now" button with the smiling sun graphic... then sit through the 30-second Mr. T ad.

Ruthie1
Username: Ruthie1

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was hysterical! It was definitely an uncomfortable interview, but very funny. His delivery is so funny.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 555
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

welcome to the forum!!

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 556
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ps - my 555th post ^

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4779
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the same district that KK wants to inherit from his mother, although he says that's the furthest thing on his mind. However, we all know about politicians and their bending of the truth.

Pravda in Russian is truth, in addition to being the name of the main Communist Party newspaper in the former Soviet Union.

From my years of Russian classes, the Russians decades ago had a saying which was a play on words with Pravda and Izvestia (news):
quote:

As the two newspapers, Pravda and Izvestia, meant "truth" and "news", a popular saying was "v Pravde nyet Izvestii, b Izvestie nyet Pravdy" (In Truth there is no News, in News there is no Truth).

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on January 08, 2008)

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great! "Let's talk Detroit: do we still need it? Only Colbert could get away with that.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1351
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't Colbert still Cancelled indefintely due to the writer's strike?

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1501
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Came back online with The Daily Show last night I think.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 195
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, they were both back on last night.

I love those better know a district interviews. Very funny!

(Message edited by sturge on January 08, 2008)

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3859
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Fighting 13th!

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 195
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this a rerun from 2 years ago?

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 248
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3582
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in that district, strange mix of people

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.