Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Buy Ford stock tomorrow? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 328
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone else thinking of plunking down a bit of cash in the venerable Ford Motor Company? Or, is the thought that they will completely tank in the next couple of years?

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=20088010503 49

Rokk_krinn
Username: Rokk_krinn

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just bought some. While I don't think they will regain the number 2 position, I think they will stabilize and become profitable.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2467
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Anyone else thinking of plunking down a bit of cash in the venerable Ford Motor Company? Or, is the thought that they will completely tank in the next couple of years?

I'm gonna sit this one out, but it will be interesting to see what happens!

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3196
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd do it if I could ... but I'm tied up holding some Studebaker-Packard stock that's gonna turn around one of these days ...

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 194
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd bet you the stock slides further before going up again. The first half of this year could be especially rough. That being said, I do think they will return to profitability.

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ALMOST bought some Chrysler stock for $3.00 in 1979 or thereabouts. Woulda coulda shoulda.....

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3257
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you see the recent press about their new engine technology? There was some on Friday, so if that plays right the stock could go up Monday.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1383
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

26 years ago this month, GM was trading at around $30 per share (which was down considerably from its peak 16 years earlier of about $115 per share - since then, GM stock has split 2 for 1 so the value of those $30 shares equate to a price of $15 today). Back in early 1982, I was a GM engineer with only about 10 years of service, but from what I could see, GM at $30 looked like a bargain. So I took a chance and bought 200 shares of GM and about two years later, I unloaded them at around $58, almost doubling my investment.

Now GM (as well as Ford) stock is again selling at or near historically low prices. Would I sink some of my savings into 200 shares of GM or Ford in today's regulatory and sales environment? Only with a gun pointed at my head!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5917
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rustic, LOL, that a classic post, came from no where, and jjaba fucking fell offa his chair. Thanks. Hold on baby, maybe double down, you never know.

jjaba.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(N.B. I do not own any of the securities mentioned below, nor do I recommend them. If Ford goes broke, these things probably won't be worth anything either.)

You might look at some of the Ford convertible preferred

(see http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc? s=F-PS&t=2y)

especially if Ford survives but takes a while to turn around, these will pay you a lot of money while you wait for the stock to come back, and if it comes back a lot, they are convertible back into stock at the owner's discretion, and will be redeemed in 2032 if they haven't been converted.

I would probably buy something like that rather than Ford common shares. There is also some relatively attractive easily traded debt (actually a structured note--if you don't know what a structured note is, look it up if you consider buying it) traded as KSK. This just represents debt--if Ford goes broke, you might get something back, but the upside is limited, although it pays something like 15%.

Personally, I would not be buying any auto maker right now--this isn't Ford-specific, but I don't think they can rally much going into a recession, which is what I expect. But certainly I have been wrong before.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2291
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SELL SELL !

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3197
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba, be careful now, don't fall and break a hip now ... I'd hate it if sharing my investment stratagem sent ya to sinai hospital ...

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5922
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rustic, oy, ROTFLMJAO. You are a hoot!

jjaba.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 104
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought F was a screaming buy at 16.00 , so I bought some . Then , I thought it was a great buy at 12.00 so I bought some more . Held on to that doggy dog for a few years until I couldn't stand looking at it anymore . Sold it last year and I'll take a tax loss on it in April .Still have some Ford preferred , that sucks too . My Dad ( rest in peace ) always said buy a stock when it on it's way UP . Not when It's going down . As usual , he was right .

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 857
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wait until june, then look. stock will sink lower because of restructuring issues. It should double or triple in about 3-4 years, but what so i know.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 891
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The F stock price isn't quite down to the Morningstar buy level...I'd wait a few more months...on the other hand...pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered...greed is a terrible vice....I've thought about buying some myself...they're gonna make it!

(Message edited by GoBlue on January 06, 2008)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4752
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To put things into perspective, the Big Three automakers have market capitalizations (as of last Friday) of (in $ billions): 166, 118, and 91. The next two largest have market capitalizations of $13 billion each. Market caps

The top three belong to Toyota, Honda, and Daimler, respectively. GM and Ford are really #4 and #5. Harley-Davidson, BTW, is worth a bit over $10 billion. So now, make your common-stock purchasing plans...

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on January 06, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.