Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Wtg detroit « Previous Next »
Archive through January 06, 2008Mwilbert30 01-06-08  3:25 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3258
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"lock your hitch up... what the hell are they supposed to lock it up to a tree?"

*sigh*

a padlock through the hitch coupler is all that is needed to lock a trailer onto the car's hitch, making it impossible to lift the trailer off the ball without first cutting the lock off

NOT locking the hitch is tantamount to leaving your house wide open while unattended

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4422
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric and the band, I'm very sorry to hear about your theft. It has to be devastating. I hope posting about it here and elsewhere leads to recovery of some if not all your equipment.

Good luck and keep the music alive.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2820
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Give me a fucking break lilpup.......if that is what you expect my advice to pullman strike is to skip detroit next time.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3259
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"if that is what you expect"

I expect it because that's what most responsible people hauling equipment trailers do

U-Haul even sells the locks - the basic one is about $6.00, though a long shackled Master lock will do the job

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 206
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Am the only one that has legally used 26" bolt cutters here? 10 seconds and the lock is gone.
With stuff of that value, outwit the other guy with redundant backup alarms. Cutting the wire between the trailer and vehicle will set off a loud 12V alarm. They will not hang around for witnesses.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3260
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no, you aren't, but the likelihood of that is substantially lower in common street theft

and even then, 10 seconds is an additional 10 seconds required

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 159
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^as well as the forethought to be carrying bolt cutters.

Citylover

Post Number: 2822
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You just don't get it lilpup. The reasonable expectation is that when on a usually busy thoroughfare in an allegedly typical u.s. city one can leave a trailer hitched up and not have it disapear. You, as usual have it backward.You want to blame the victim.In fact Bigb posts one down from you that the lock can be had in ten sceonds with bolt cutters.............he/she advocates an alarm...how long till someone brags about how easy it is to get around that? Not to mention you don't know whether there was a lock.

No one wants to exist like that.That is why so many people have left Detroit.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3261
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The reasonable expectation is that when on a usually busy thoroughfare in an allegedly typical u.s. city one can leave a trailer hitched up and not have it disapear"

That's not a reasonable expectation - vehicles and trailers (including semi-tractors and trailers, hooked up or separately) get stolen ALL THE TIME, sometimes even just the cargo gets stolen out of a trailer while parked.

There is even a nationwide fax network that authorities send notices out across when large commercial units get stolen.

BTW I've personally known stuff to be stolen in broad daylight while sitting on the shoulder of I-94 in Roseville - is that a busy enough thoroughfare for you? - and it was Sterling Heights people who did it.

And at what point does "lack of personal responsibility" (a favorite mantra of yours) become "blame the victim"? Let me guess - it depends which side of the argument can be used to indict Detroit, though it should be pointed out that you have no idea who stole the trailer, more or less where they're from!

Citylover

Post Number: 2824
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is not a reasonable expectation??????????????????? ?????????????????? Are you fucking high?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1343
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Crime is everywhere, but a bigger problem for Detroit."

^^^^
Compared to where?

Citylover

Post Number: 2825
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

everywhere else

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1383
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CL should know.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1345
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"everywhere else"

^^^ that narrows it down.

Bigb23

Post Number: 226
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No matter where you are, you should prepare for the worst case scenario. I live in the boonies and still lock my car doors at every chance.
A GPS/Detector is one thing - a trailer full of equipment is another. Protect your shit!

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb23 said: "No matter where you are, you should prepare for the worst case scenario. I live in the boonies and still lock my car doors at every chance.
A GPS/Detector is one thing - a trailer full of equipment is another. Protect your shit!"

You shouldn't have to. If Detroit wasn't overrun with pieces of scum you could leave your wallet laying on the pavement overnight and come back the next day and it would still be there. Heck, maybe even with more money in it than when you left it there to begin with. That's a real world class city for you, Detroit is an ultra-dump! >:-(

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 497
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are all kinds of coulda/woulda/shouldas. Agreed, they should of had insurance anywhere they are; and locking the hitch is smart. In a previous life I managed moving a lot of gear, in good and bad 'hoods, and details were key to not getting your stuff gaffled.

That said, there is something to be said about this. I was at the bowling alley across from Union street, and every one of the people I was with was freaked out (except me) about their car getting broken into. It almost ruined the night how much they talked about it - a couple were from NY, others from various 'burbs. They went out three times to check their car.

Detroit is not considered safe by most people, no matter what you and I and anyone else who is a booster say. That perception is not changing, and it is the number one reason small business and other investment is slow in the city, as well as residents leaving.

Stories like the cops not caring - which has been my experience too - do not help. It only reinforces the fear with the idea that if you are in trouble, no one will help you.

Detroit needs to fix the police and basic services. Now. Everything else will come after, believe me, with little effort. There is so much good in the city.

Bigb23

Post Number: 240
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crumbled_pavement -

Drop your wallet in Mt. Clemens or Pontiac or B-ham. Good luck, I would like flowers, money and a happy note in my wallet IF I FOUND IT.
What color is the sky in your world?

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 875
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

New York, LA, Chicago, it could happen just as quickly in any of those cities...

The difference is, the NYPD likely would have shown up quicker and done a better job investigating. Ask yourself why NYC has per capita crime and murder rates that are astronomically lower than Detroit.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5400
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Per capita is misleading at best....

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This happens once a year. A band gets their trailor/van stolen or broken into. Last year it happened to a band parked at the Days Inn on Jefferson near downtown. This also happens to Detroit bands outside of Detroit all the time. You can't predict this stuff and you can't always keep an eye on everything. It's unfortunate. The whole argument about how this happens more often in Detroit is ridiculous.

Citylover

Post Number: 2827
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really Melody? So I have just as much a chance of being burglarized in Grosse Pointe or Grosse isle as I do in Detroit?..............what complete bullshit.........posting that kind of crap is just a waste of time.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1593
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leaving a trailer unattended that is advertising "HEY, I'M LIKELY FULL OF STUFF" parked on the street is retarded.

Like someone said earlier, and I'll say again a bit differently. Have any of YOU been in a band? And toured? I have. And we never went to "dangerous" places like Detroit. But I'll be damned if we didn't lock our shit. It's just common sense. Whoever said that there should be an expectation that you can leave expensive electronic equipment sitting around unattended and not expect trouble is a fucking idiot, who probably just wanted an excuse to post some anti-Detroit rant, and got it.

Lock your shit. Most people wouldn't leave their house unlocked, why would you leave a U-Haul unlocked when full of your stuff and parked on the street?

THIS PRECEEDING POST IS NOT BLAMING THE VICTIMS AND EXCUSING THE CRIMINALS. Just saying, lock your shit.

Friendly advice from a former touring musician.

(Message edited by focusonthed on January 10, 2008)

Citylover

Post Number: 2828
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do you know they didn't lock their stuf up?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11162
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CL - You have made your points understood. Of course it is no surprise that you continually post on this thread but ignore all the others.

I really wish someone would stop bumping the record player.

Melody

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CityLover -- I guess I should've said "This also happens to Detroit bands outside of Detroit WHEN THEY TOUR all the time." I didn't mean Grosse Pointe. I meant Chicago, New York, PARIS... I should know. And don't call me bullshit.

Citylover

Post Number: 2829
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree jt1........stop blaming the victim.That's a recurring theme around here. And Melody no one, including myself has said that people are not burglarized in other locales. The point is that it is(crime, burglary, etc) is an almost intractable problem in Detroit.

Kevgoblu
Username: Kevgoblu

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citylover - say you went to the movies one evening, somewhere outside Detroit. Lets say Larurel Park in Livonia. Would you go in and leave your Ipod, handheld Nav and wallet on the seat? This is in essence what the band did. Is it thier fault that someone stole their stuff? Nope. Should we be able to have a reasonable expectation that someone shouldn't steal our stuff? Yup.

Given both those answers to be true, if I leave my wallet on the seat with my doors unlock and I come back to find it missing, I'm the dumbass.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2029
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Digitalvision's post sums it up for me. Crime, especially property crime, is still a big problem and a perception problem for the city that probably holds it back more than any other single problem. And I am a booster that lives in the city.

quote:

The whole argument about how this happens more often in Detroit is ridiculous.

I think it is fair to say that it happens more often. Maybe not orders of magnitude more often than NYC or Chicago, but still more often. For example, it might be 20 times more likely for your trailer to be stolen in NYC than in a small town, but it might also be twice as likely for it to be stolen in Detroit as opposed to NYC. That would be my guess.

But yeah, either way it's not smart to leave an unlocked trailer like that out, whether you're in Detroit, NYC, Chicago, or any other big city.

Lmcdet
Username: Lmcdet

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This almost reminds me of an episode of Ghost Hunters when they went to NY to do an investigation. the Ghost Hunters were taking their ghost hunting equipment in and one of the guys on their team place some of the equipment on the sidewalk for a second because his hands were full, all of a sudden someone came by and snatched the equipment and took off in full sprint. They ended up getting the equipment back after the criminal drop it when he saw them chasing him, but like a lot of folks on this forum have said, it can happen anywhere under any circumstances. They had a TV crew following these and this fool took equipment in front of everyone.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 258
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That schitt suxx. And text-messaging, apathetic police don't help a bit.

It does happen elsewhere, even though theft and crime overall are obviously rampant problems in the D. Sonic Youth saw all of their gear ripped off years ago in Southern Cal.

http://www.sonicyouth.com/hist ory/misc/stolen-gear.html

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2030
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they were text-messaging other officers, requesting backup to help find the trailer? ;)

Citylover

Post Number: 2830
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fabulous liars of the detroityes forum.............where does it say that their equipment was not secured and locked? How the hell do any of you know whether the hitch was locked or not? How do you know they were not insured?.......and btw insurance is quite expensive when musical equipment is used for professional purposes.

Kevgoblu, small portable devices are not the same as musical equipment.Not to mention that most trailers don't have windows exposing contents.

Oh well carry on with lies................need help? It happens every where............get insurance.........it shoulda been locked up........ that should get you all stated.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why don't the band members have nice, regular jobs? They want to be boogie-woogie boys and live a 'free life on the road'? Well, if they had responsible, adult jobs this wouldn't have happened.

There.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 684
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread reminds me of the time my aunt rented a car while here on vacation. While we were inside making the rental arrangements she mentioned to the desk clerk that she would be traveling to Detroit for the Auto Show. A few seconds later I saw a porter talking on his radio and then watched him take all four hubcaps off of a late 90's Chrysler. When he handed her the keys I couldn't help but laugh.
Crime happens everywhere, but when your odds get to a certain point you have to start taking more drastic precautions.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1039
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone should just stay home.

Melody

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why don't the band members have nice, regular jobs? They want to be boogie-woogie boys and live a 'free life on the road'? Well, if they had responsible, adult jobs this wouldn't have happened. "

Tell me you are kidding and I won't say the horrible things I'm thinking about you. I've seen your posts and thought you were alright. Until now. Unless, of course you're kidding. Being a musician is a job. Think about if your favorite musicians decided to be lawyers instead. How would your life be different? SHAME on you for saying that. Please tell me you're just kidding.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was dripping with sarcasm! Totally joking, yes!

Sounds like what my mom would've said.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melody, didn't the term "boogie-woogie boys" give you a hint?

I am a dork, but not that bad!

Melody

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's teh internets! I can't tell :-) Plus you can't tell with folks like Steeler and Ccbatson saying all kinds stuff that's bananas. I'm just glad you're kidding. I was really gonna ream you a new one. Ha.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's funny! Yeah, how would you know that I was kidding? I could've been an old fart with not a lick of sense as far as my post sounded! ha ha ha

I don't think I've ever gotten into it with Steel or Bats. I like to try to stay out of un-winable arguments.

Umtim
Username: Umtim

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some good ideas on how to avoid theft on this post. I've been ripped off in small towns in Pennsylvania several times. Now I don't own much and leave the doors open. Saves money on auto repairs.

Bigb23

Post Number: 246
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard of the internets and the interweblog.
Where can I find them?

Jt1

Post Number: 11263
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paging Citylover:

http://mmba.org/viewtopic.php? t=72362&sid=c4518de90fcb3e44cd e6bad185c1eba2

quote:

The MMBA has been struck with unfortunate news this morning. The Mountain Kids trailer was reported stolen to the police early this morning by Mountain Kids Director, Jason Tink.
The trailer was being stored in covered parking at a well-lit commercial site in Farmington Hills off of Northwestern Highway.

A police report was filed with the Farmington Hills police and local agents will be notified to be on the lookout, but according to the authorities the likelihood of a recovery of the trailer or its contents are slim. The trailer was home to all of the Mountain Kids Program equipment, including eight 20-inch Giant bikes and six 24-inch Novara bikes , 40 helmets, tools, and a custom bike rack made for the trailer.

Sorry to bring up a dead thread but I wanted to see his response.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 881
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

http://mmba.org/viewtopic.php? t=72362&sid=c4518de90fcb3e44cd e6bad185c1eba2

I'm willing to bet that the Farmington Hills PD actually showed up in a timely fashion and took a report in a professional manner, as opposed to the DPD's response to the trailer theft that was the subject of this thread.

Even if crime was the same everywhere, the quality of city services are not. The crime itself isn't really the issue, it was the apathetic response by the DPD that essentially poured salt in the wound of the band that had their shit jacked in Detroit. You cannot say that Detroit and Farmington Hills are equal in this respect, not even close. If I'm lying in a pool of blood and have to call 911 to save my life, the LAST place I want to be is Detroit because it's anyone's guess if someone is going to come help me or even if the 911 operator gives a shit about whether I live or die.

Jt1

Post Number: 11267
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warrior, you state

quote:

Even if crime was the same everywhere, the quality of city services are not. The crime itself isn't really the issue, it was the apathetic response by the DPD that essentially poured salt in the wound of the band that had their shit jacked in Detroit.

That was not CL's argument.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.