Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Where are the jobs? « Previous Next »
Archive through January 05, 2008Livernoisyard30 01-05-08  10:41 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 863
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the IT field many without science or technical degrees are able find opportunities. For example, Creative Services or Marketing departments often will consider non-tech backgrounds for managing the web presence of the organization. Same goes for Business Analysts. An aptitude for data analysis, statistics, and forecasting can go a long way. Certifications are a plus as well.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4735
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having a college degree is, perhaps, only one of fifty ways to attain work skills. However, having just any old degree isn't.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on January 05, 2008)

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like I'll be staying in VA when I graduate this may

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two words:

MASS TRANSIT

Ditch the beater, screw a new car payment & insurance company red-lining, move to a modern-adapting-to-the-21st-Ce ntury-city like Chicago where every neighborhood near a train-subway stop is re-building (and building and building). Everything you need is walking, biking, or train (BUS!) distance, you don't have to pay for parking in front of your house ($400/year, if you can find a spot), and you can stumble home from the bar.

And because jobs here are so limited, you could easily find yourself in a miserable position just because you had no alternative, and now you're stuck paying for that new chevy for the next two years and they've already stolen your airbags.

Get out while you've got the chance, work several shitty jobs in a real city, eventually you'll find something, and maybe by then they'll have offices in the new Detroit and you can transfer.

And the sub-prime market in Chicago is tanking too. Your options for finding a cheaper place in a nice location are much greater than they were even a year ago. All those new lofts going up with no one to buy? Copper thieves don't make a distinction btw new and old construction, so the developers are renting the new units so they don't get vandalized. That has caused all the mom and pop landlords to lower their prices because they have to compete with the new places, something that isn't happening here...yet. Have your Chicago friend mail you a Reader (metro times chicago style), go to the price range you want, you'll notice rentals really are becoming more and more affordable.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 680
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Marygrove so it makes it even harder on me because it isn't at the top of anyones list.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emotional attachment to anything is a bitch, especially when what's being offered in return shows little, if any, promise. Seriously, if you've come so far as to post your prospects (or lack thereof) to cyberspace, you've already bought your train ticket. Start packing, start living, instead of merely existing in a has-been, no prospect, heart-break of a town.

Cheers

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4736
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marygrove has an ed mill. Maybe you could switch into elem or secondary ed right away before you waste any more time and money.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"My, my. But aren't we the touchy one! Surely you should be able to surmise that I was referring to nondirected BA curricula (which, in all essence, are really BS...). For example, social science, political science, Detroit, etc.

Anybody paying for four or more years of that (assuming that somebody paid...) should have been contemplating whatever good might come out of all that. One doesn't even need to attend college for that! BOTOH, I have encountered hundreds over the years who merely think that a college degree in anything will get them work.

But the real world rotates on a different axis..."

Perhaps I am failing to follow the direction you took in your discussion. The only reason I am touchy about your previous comment is simply because an architectural education is unlike any other education one can receive.

We, as students, don't sit through mass lectures and write papers. Through my personal experience, we have to endure longer hours in classes, a MUCH larger work load than our friends, and suffer through a preconceived notion that those of us with degrees in architecture can expect to make money when we graduate.

Not unlike the medical field, we who chose this lifestyle ( because after all, architecture is NOT a profession, it is a life that we have to become immersed in fully to keep up, and surpass those around us) endure internships, long hours, and minimum compensation, and for people to compare our degrees to ho-hum degrees in basket weaving, is somewhat insulting to the time and effort we have put in over the years in studio trying to create work that WILL have a DIRECT impact, not only on the cities and environments around us, but also on those who will ultimately inhabit those spaces and structures.

If you were merely making a point, then I apologize for my tirade, but I feel it is imperative that those who are not familiar with the field and life that is architecture realize the lengths and sacrifices we make to try and make the world we live in, slightly better for those who follow us.

I have always wondered why people have the impression that there is money in architecture. Perhaps I should start charging more for my services ? :-)

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4737
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We know that architects are those who couldn't get into civil engineering, and civil engineers (i.e., educated ditch diggers) couldn't draw well enough to become architects.

D_mcc

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We know that architects are those who couldn't get into civil engineering, and civil engineers (i.e., educated ditch diggers) couldn't draw well enough to become architects."

Well, not so fast, all you need to know about civil engineering is that shit flows downhill. Surprisingly, we are taught a lot of the basics in school so we understand how to coordinate with engineers through every step of the design and construction process.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4738
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's this? Shit flows downhill? I'm taking notes because I only took four civil engineering courses: surveying course and lab, sanitation engineering (must have slept through that one), and structural analysis.

Didn't need to, though, but I had the time during my EE courses and, for some semesters, I took 21 credits.

D_mcc

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nut job...I took 16 a semester and was in the studio at least 60 hours a week.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4739
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For two semesters, I was an undergrad TA running broadcasting labs at UW, and for the senior year, I was the chief engineer at Wisconsin's second-highest powered radio station. Didn't take such a heavy course load then.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1762
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Digitalvision thanks for the heads up! I am good with a camera, good at script writing and my editing skills are average i still have some to learn

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 6:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku, I've got my media degree and live in the city too. I'm good at sound design, voice work and music production and have some experience with script and copy writing and video. Now we can build our Detroit-centric media empire.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 983
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit/Michigan is not a good place to find a job right now. We used to have the biggest company in the world, but GM has downsized in recent years.

You should consider taking a job with the company that has recently become the biggest on earth, Wal mart.

Walmart is fueling massive job growth and economic expansion, and you can take advantage of this growth if the Chinese government will allow you to take a job in one of their new plants.

If the move to China doesn't pan out, Walmart can offer you a part time job at a rate just above minimum wage, with no benefits.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 296
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the rest of the country doesn't think that they're going to join Michigan in this 'recession', they're delusional. The loss of very real jobs, such as those in manufacturing, cannot be easily replaced.

Honestly though, there are jobs for the right field. It's easy to completely blame the Michigan economy if you can't find one, but perhaps you need to partially blame yourself for not tailoring for skills to what's in demand. For example, as an Electrical Engineer, not only did I change jobs voluntarily about a year ago, but I recieve headhunter calls all of the time and am considering another career change. A company I have a great deal of interest in is:

http://www.itctransco.com/app. php?sec=5&id=44

That's a lot of postings at one company (assuming all are still open positions). It's in Novi, not Detroit, but if you're that picky, then perhaps you need not be.

D_mcc

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone watched the debates last night, Edwards spoke of the continuing separation of the Upper and Middle classes...this is something we need to seriously consider in the next few years...

Also...I believe it was Edwards who pointed out that 20-30 million MORE jobs will be lost in the next decade...kind of scary...

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 93
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always thought that Detroit's (really good) Jobs were spread-out. It seems like the clusters of employment have really disappeared from S.E. Michigan. Now, with the recession they are even that much more spread-out...

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4743
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Due to the relatively unhealthy lifestyles and increasing age of SE Michigan's demographics, entering the health-care industry should be a good bet. Plenty of jobs expected there.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 868
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, go follow your career. Detroit isn't worth your personal sacrifice to that extent.
I moved back here to support the city and fortunately I found a job in my field.
Problem is I was offered a good promotion, but the requirement to move to Grand Rapids. After a week of consideration, I'm moving because when opportunity knocks, I have to give up my Detroit spirit in location. But I plan on getting more established and moving back.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1566
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's really scary, is that anyone would believe a word that comes out of Edwards' mouth.

D_mcc

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As opposed to who? barrack? Change change change...sounds just like bush did 8 years ago

Chitaku

Post Number: 1764
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hutchentoot do you own a camera? I may be getting one soon but they are damn expensive

Pmardo
Username: Pmardo

Post Number: 67
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those looking for employment, I am in solidarity with you. I'm making ends meet working a part time job and doing an internship in my field (urban planning) but am hoping to land a position with some benefits sometime in 2008. If you can stay do it! Friends of mine who have moved to Chicago seem disappointed and miss the soul and genuine experience that only Detroit can offer.

Chitaku, hang in there man,

(Message edited by pmardo on January 06, 2008)

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Friends of mine who have moved to Chicago seem disappointed and miss the soul and genuine experience that only Detroit can offer

Maybe they are disappointed with Chicago, but unlike those who are "sitting on the porch" soaking up that genuine Detroit "experience", in the meantime they are gaining valuable career experience, getting raises and (hopefully) starting to save for their retirement by setting something aside into their 401(k).

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 377
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd head to Hawaii instead of South Dakota. Both have 2.8% unemployment and Hawaii is way more fun.

Yeh I'm sad for the D. Hope we will turn around soon but I doubt it will happen in 2008.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 758
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea it sucks around here I have been laid off almost for a year now! Still no work, and Ive meet many just like me it is all to common. I have started putting apps out of state now. Lets see how long till I get an offer.

Mrnittany
Username: Mrnittany

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moving for a start to your career can be tough to do emotionally, but it's worth it in terms of experience 2 ways:

(1) the obvious gain in job experience. Even a mere 2-3 years in experience makes you MUCH more valuable in a potential employer's eyes.

(2) the personal growth experience in doing something new. Even if you completely hate your new "hometown", you'll learn something about yourself in the process.

Chicago's the obvious big city to look towards, but smaller, but still big, cities like Indy, Columbus, Cinci, and Pittsburgh are all doing fairly well economically, and are all still within a 4-5 hour drive of Detroit.

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 94
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be very interesting to see who, like me, is posting to this thread from a location outside of Detroit. And, the tone of the posts from us...

I'm not in Detroit but I have a lot of friends there. All of my college educated (, with a four year degree at least) friends that are in Detroit have pretty good jobs. Only a few of my friends in Detroit that don't have a college education are employed. I can't figure out what that means because I have a few college educated friends here Chicago-land that don't have jobs too though.

And, Mrnittany, your right about the emotions. I miss my family a whole lot.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 852
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having a little trouble following the mindset here. Yes, things are bad here in Detroit, thats because the city and economy has changed and many are not adapting to those changes. If one is holding out for a career in the automotives, forget it, or at least, for now.

Look at another field that IS doing well, (insert anything) that effects a broad range of domestic industry and consumers. Companies all over are downsizing, capitalize on that. Thats the key to any successful endeavor actually. Trying to get involved with a dying industry? Why?

There are a lot of businesses in this city that are doing well, they woke up and smelled the coffee a long time ago and got away from the roller coaster that is the automotive industry. As I told an employer a long time ago when he remarked I'd regret losing my job, I pointed to a busy Detroit street and replied: "See all them cars out there? Not one of those folks work here and they're all making a living" And thats basically how the Detroit situation needs to be looked at. All of these businesses in other cites are doing things we don't do. We can do them right here. Better yet, You can do them right here. You've got the education/degree in your field, use that knowledge to start your own business. Immediate job. Not brick and mud retail, some product or service with at least a nationwide or better yet, worldwide appeal. Take advantage of the weak dollar. Companies abroad are again hungry for US made products due to quality and deflated price.

Not saying this is the answer for everyone, but for a few that are out of work it's probably a logical consideration.

Most of the folks that are leaving here will return as they did after the early 80's exodus. There's no place like home.

(Message edited by sstashmoo on January 06, 2008)

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 488
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku,

Script writing you say? Interesting. Different. Good.

What proficiency of editing are you at - have you learned FCP or Avid, or mostly theory (not a bad thing, people should learn how to edit before they learn how to use fancy software). I will keep the ear to the ground, we should exchange emails somehow and get together.

I will also file that you're "good" with the camera. Many times I get emailed on things that are just too small or not the right fit for us - labor only gigs, etc. I would be more than happy to pass it along. I'll be opening up a job board for media types on my blog for this same reason in the next couple weeks. Unfortunately, a lot of production shops and agencies have left the city - Brogan, JWT (now Mindshare) is in process, etc. I call that untapped creative potential, but I'm an optimist, sometimes, when I shouldn't be.

As to the thread topic, ErikD, you crack me up. I heard some funny stuff about how "this revolution really equals a pay raise for everyone as our prices of goods and services can drop even farther."

I had to laugh - if the wages go down in an equal or greater amount than the price cut, it's a net loss.

We need free and fair trade. Globalization has benefits, but we can't let the rest of the world get away with completely uneven standards.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 681
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstashmoo,

I agree with you whole heartedly and would love to own my own business and get that ball rolling but am not sure I am ready for that at this juncture. I have thought of trying the whole bizdom U thing but not sure that is the route to take either. I am big into green building, and energy efficiency and that is more of a global thing but although I have a ton of knowledge in that field I don't know the business management aspect enough to do that right now and thats what I need to learn. I want to stay in Detroit but options do seem very limited, but I would hate to be part of a statistic for those who are leaving the city or state. There is hope with the Book Cad/Fort Shelby/Quicken Loans/Cadilac Center coming soon I do see some light but those are still 9 months to 3 years away before they come to fruition. So that leaves us with the current debacle which is the present and what to do right now...

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking at those states with the lowest unemployment - Idaho, South Dakota, Utah, Wyoming...a lot of that low unemployment is due to the booming (and I do mean booming) coal, oil, and gas industry. A lot of the best jobs in those places are skilled trade type jobs - welders, electricians, millwrights, etc., also petroleum engineers. Places like Gillette, Wyoming actually have billboards in some spots where companies advertise for the trades they are currently hiring. Now would I recommend that someone born and raised in Detroit move to those Rocky Mountain states? Sure, as long as you can accept some major differences in climate and culture...and there are several differences, for example the strong influence of Mormons in a lot of places. Also prepare to deal with housing shortages in some places. If you are the type that likes something different, then load up your 4WD vehicle (...you don't have a 4WD vehicle? That's ok, one winter in the mountain west and you will...).

Chitaku

Post Number: 1765
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

digital.. i'm a fcp man

chuckypatch@yahoo.com

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2199
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It's all about who you know in Detroit architecture firms. I had plenty of interviews, but no offers."
-Yeah, you are lucky to get an interview anywhere in the architecture profession unless you at least know someone that knows someone at the firm. Sometimes it is almost easier to meet people (in some sort of professional group or organization), and then ask them what they do and then mention that you are looking for a new/first job.

"If anyone watched the debates last night, Edwards spoke of the continuing separation of the Upper and Middle classes...this is something we need to seriously consider in the next few years..."
-While at Detroit Mercy (ironically enough) I had to write an economic development term paper on a foreign country--Uganda. Turns out that their distribution of income is better than the U.S., crazy as that sounds.

"Now it's just sad when you have better chances of snagging a job in Alaska (or D.C.) instead of Michigan."
-Alaska (from what I hear from classmates in Architecture) is actually a pretty decent place to work as they offer many incentives to attract people up there.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 578
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not here in Michigan.....if you need a good job look elsewhere. I got a job offer in NJ...wish me luck.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1589
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few years ago, I left Michigan for an equivalent job in Chicago literally making twice the money. I couldn't be happier (except when baseball season comes around...sigh).

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 610
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtragedy

There is another word

TAX

If you want government mass transit then be prepared to pay several hundred dollars a year more in local and county tax increases.

Today, privatization is the only realistic hope for paring the huge inefficiencies accumulated in urban transit under public management with both SMART and DDOT.

We need to fill up the buses just like I did in Livonia in 2003. The Middlebelt 285 buses were filled up but then Livonia City Council members decided they wanted big pay increase and got the voters to believe there was no industry support.

There is strong industry support for SMART and DDOT but the problem is that our political leaders just want your money for doing nothing but giving speeches and hyping mass transit.

Its time to get SMART and DDOT out of the transportation business unless they let me run the bus operation myself because I've filled the buses up before thus I know what needs to be done.

Please support my efforts and maybe you DY'ers will see me on television soon.

See DETROIT LINKS

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4437
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel for you all.

Ironically I first came to Detroit because there was work at great wages.

Your stories resonate with me for the early eighties were on this path. I was laid off from my well-paying Teamster truck driving job in 1979. Suddenly one needed 15 years seniority for part time work. The lines at the unemployment office were endless. It seemed like everyone was laid off at once.

There was NO work anywhere, unless you were enterprising and sold Dallas Sunday papers for their want ads on Woodward. I was reduced to painting houses and seasonal income tax consulting.

It felt hopeless. Droves left Michigan for Texas and other points. Fortunately for me, my art career had time to blossom and I have worked on my own since. Sometimes what appears to be bleak is a blessing.

If you feel discouraged, compare these Michigan unemployment rates my friends.

Nov. 2007 7.4
Nov. 1982 16.9 Historic High
Mar. 2000 3.2 Historic Low

And if those are Michigan numbers, you can imagine what they were like in the City of Detroit. Double.

Good luck to all of you. Make yourself valuable and remember that "School is in forever."

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4799
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell: Articles on the Great Depression pegged the national unemployment rate in 1934 at 24.9%. So, on that basis alone, your historic "high" of 16.9% is way too low. Those same articles estimate that Detroit's unemployment rate was twice that of the national rate until around 1940. So, then your figure is way too light.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on January 10, 2008)

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4444
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I thought that too, I think that had to mean post-war record high.

The doom and gloom factor was really high though. It seemed like the end to many. Downtown was in total collapse and Hudson's closed its doors the next year, the murder / crime rate was going out the roof and inflation was was having us for lunch.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 880
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my sister left in '78 for Dallas. It wasn't a good time for everyone macro economically. I am glad you staid, we all benefit from it.
If only more people would.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1592
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My uncle had a similar experience with Texas in the 80s that I had with Chicago in 2005. He was lured away to Houston to work for Shell (I believe) and was paid more than double his best offer in Michigan. UM grad.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 195
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 5:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So how does this fit into the discussion.

Survey: New, qualified employees will be hard to find

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2008 0109/REG/582301617/1003/-/-/su rvey-new-qualified-employees-w ill-be-hard-to-find

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4800
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 6:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Survey: New, qualified employees will be hard to find

Companies everywhere (not just in Detroit) have difficulty attracting desirable employees because the young (mostly) have not been taking appropriate college and non-college vocational training that makes them employable. Notice the curricula in this thread that some have taken and then ask yourself which companies would actively hire them.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 297
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of recent college graduates I know picked their majors based on what was interesting, easiest and/or meant no morning or Friday classes. It was only by their senior year that they gave any consideration to finding a job. Lots of General Business Administration and Psychology undergrad majors who find they're a dime a dozen. They only blame the Michigan economy, rather than consider that they don't have the skills that local employers are in need of.

Engineers are still in demand, in Michigan, in this economy. Yet one of the biggest complaints I hear from employers is that not only are engineers hard to find - those who they do find are often foreign-speaking or have a limited grasp of the english language. It's hard to hire someone you can't communicate clearly with. Engineering IS hard, and it definitely scares a lot of people off (I realize it's not for everyone, I'm just using it as an example). Why spend every night studying in the library when you can get an easy degree and be to the bar by happy hour?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2206
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard, that is probably because 'new qualified employees' can go out of state (where the economy is doing better) and get paid more...

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4802
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Livernoisyard, that is probably because 'new qualified employees' can go out of state (where the economy is doing better) and get paid more...

Nope. It's a generational thing. Ask HR directors and recruiters (who themselves are often part of the problem in their own training, BTW). The percentage of HS kids forty years ago who took the more strenuous math curricula was around 70 or 80%. Today, that metric is around 20 to 30%.

To verify this, just ask Prof Scott and other profs or post secondary instructors who have to (on a daily basis) deal with the extremely high percentage of academic dropouts who have HS diplomas via social promotion and their taking Mickey-Mouse HS curricula. Colleges are loaded with inept students who should never have gotten HS diplomas.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6955
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are the jobs in Michigan? Most of them for long gone, moved to other states and the people followed it.

Fmstack
Username: Fmstack

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is tangential, but, like, is Trainman literally mentally ill? I've never seen a single post from him that didn't mention transit in Livonia, and it's never, ever on-topic. Does anyone know this guy, or what his deal is?

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 385
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-)

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 291
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BBDO-Detroit ad agency in Troy just laid off a whole buncha people yesterday. There goes more advertising jobs in the area.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 881
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Does anyone know this guy, or what his deal is?"

I try not to make comments or observations about posters, but the obsession with buses, where they stop and getting on TV to talk about it is rather bizarre. The last post omitted the consistently mentioned "DARTA". What can it mean? :-)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3271
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Engineers are still in demand, in Michigan, in this economy."

The vast majority of ads I have seen for engineering request 10 years experience, or are overly tailored to specialized fields (e.g. powertrain software).

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6958
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Boileau,

What about Michigan's unemployment rate in 1930. Its a whopping 43.0%. Now that's a historic high.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 582
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah now it's at historic lows. Everyone wants to save a buck or two so no wonder alot of american manufacturing jobs have gone overseas. Why should someone pay 2 dollars more for a board game here, when they can get one thats 2 dollars cheaper and made in china. Most american people could care less where most there products get manufactured. Now look whats going on, we are getting low quality items because everyone's disposable income is pretty much gone now due to increase in utilities taxes, & etc. So thats one reason people can't afford something that would be made here.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 882
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The unemployment in the Downriver area was ridiculous in the early 80's, it was around 40% if I remember correctly. You younger folks won't remember that period, it was really bad here. People were walking up and down Telegraph with signs on their backs, looking for work. Unemployment and TRA had ran out on all of them, people were really desperate for a job here. That came on so quickly, seemed like in a matter of months, this time it seems at a much slower pace, like slow train coming. Back then there were a lot of signs in shop windows to the effect: "We are not hiring, please don't ask". Or if you called a place about a job, they'd actually laugh and say something like "We've got 150 people laid off". We left here in like 81 and got stopped by a Mich State Police officer for speeding (back then they'd stop you for 61 mph) before we got to Ohio, I told him we were moving, he didn't write us a ticket and said take care and good luck.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 386
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother had a W. German drivers license and came to pick me up in his '69 Grand Prix in 1985 in Marquette MI.

He got it going 135mph. When the state cops pulled him over, he handed them the W. German license and spoke German. (Didn't give them the MI license). They made him pay the fine right there with a credit card!

I visited him 6 months later in Germany and drove his Opel Senator 150mph in the rain on the Autobahn. A couple days later I saluted a Soviet guard at checkpoint Alpha.

23 years ago.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.