Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » A yuppie morning in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1494
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got back to the apartment and the future Mrs and I came to the conclusion that we just enjoyed the stereotypical yuppie morning in Detroit. After sleeping in we took the ever-growing mound of recycling in our utility closet to Recyclean's center in (North?) Woodbridge. Is it me or does that little corner of the city around the Holden facility have a ton of potential to be remade into an yuppie paradise?

From there we went to the dog park day at Canine to Five to get our dog fix. (We can't have a dog in our building.) Playing with the pups (or the doggies according to the future Mrs), making new friends and having great conversation made leaving covered with dog hair and slobber more than worthwhile.

Next stop, Avalon Bakery for pastries and coffee. The whole vibe of that place just rubs me the right way, whether its the organic vegan options or the pleasant company of running into old friends or meeting new people. The place was so packed that a stranger gave up his seat to take an extra one at a nearly full table so we could both have a place to sit and enjoy our food and drink. A nice trade off since the weather wasn't permitting us to go outside and indulge in our treats.

Plus, that block of Willis Street and many that are nearby are just gorgeous. I love the density, activity, historic architecture, big city aesthetics and walkability. It's just a great place to take a stroll with a hop cup of coffee and soak everything in.

Yeah, I sound like a complete cheer leading douche for posting something as sappy as this. I recognize that. But these experiences are a big reason I moved and stay here. It was just that enjoyable, and I wanted to share.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 511
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, thanks for sharing that. I needed it, as I had the complete opposite ghetto hell experience this morning.

I'm glad Avalon is moving to a larger location. I was there last week and it seems like the status quo is to maneuver sideways through the space. :-)

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoyed your story, thanks for sharing! It sure beats a negative one!

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hemingway, I am GLAD that you were able to have this sort of relaxed but upbeat sort of day. Sometimes the most positive experience is just being able to live life in a normal, satisfying way.

Here's hoping that in the future many, many more Detroit people will be able to do the same.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's see ..... recycling.... sleeping-in (assuming you went to bed before sunrise).... waiting in line for bread (not balloons) at the Red Door (classic punk after-hours & drug den), now known as Avalon.........enjoying the houses on Canfield or Willis while walking to your car (and not finding your window smashed).....yep, 10 years of gentrification and ........ you've just had a Detroit version of a Wicker Park yuppie morning.

It still should be called the Cass Corridor. Personally, I thought the "Sub-Cultural" Center had a much nicer ring to it than the saccharin "Midtown"

Oh, and I'm beamin' from ear to ear that you didn't mention Eastern Market in your yuppie meanderings, cuz everyone from here knows that it's still the hippest venue in town Saturday morning and afternoon, especially if you've been up all Friday nite.

By the way, there's recycling in Detroit??????? Holden and what, Trumbull? Lincoln?

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 469
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

By the way, there's recycling in Detroit???????•••••• Holden and what, Trumbull? Lincoln?

Lincoln. http://recyclehere.net/

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1495
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 2:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The day finished out similar to how it started. Throw in a run on the treadmill, some sushi and hanging out with some good friends on a quiet night... Yeah, nice end to a good day. News of the Monroe Block development made it a great day. Feeling good right now. I almost don't want to go to bed.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 327
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E,

Nice post. I've been working too much lately. Hopefully, the future Mrs Docmo and I will get to have a day like yours soon.

BTW, When's the next edition of ModelD going up? I've been reading about that pickle for a couple of weeks now, it seems.

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the Avalon is quite a place. We stop in there on a Saturday morning right after loading up on veggies and fruit at the Eastern Market. Especially on a cold winter morning, the Avalon is an excellent place to grab a brioche and read the MetroTimes. The wire shelf just to the right as you walk in has all of the bagged "day olds" selling for cheap (relatively). A day-old at the Avalon is still leagues tastier than the new corporate baked fare sold at Meijers. We usually pick up our un-cut loaves of challah there which is perfect for making French toast (or is that American toast?)

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 376
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now I'm just hungry. Avalon, French toast with Challah bread, Eastern Market, Sushi...

E_hemingway; you and the misses should start a welcome wagon in Detroit.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 263
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some people say Detroit is unlivable. EHemingway proves them wrong. Congrats on having a Saturday.

Rocket_city

Post Number: 515
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yah, but those some people live at Walmarts and don't read books. Only consume energy and deplete farmland.

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 156
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ I love your description of suburbia and it's inhabitants

Rocket_city

Post Number: 516
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops! Is that what that was? ;) Seriously, no offense to anyone.

On the other hand, I did forget to mention GATED COMMUNITY. Livable or unlivable? Prison or free? Welcoming or restricted? lol

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 257
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Saturday morning ritual: pilates class at the New Center followed by bread buying and coffee at Avalon. How's that for yupscale?

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1497
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good routine. However, you would have scored higher on the yupscale had it been a yoga class, but pilates is an acceptable alternative. Bonus points if you do it either walking, riding a bicycle or driving a hybrid. Extra bonus points if you only buy organic vegan options at Avalon.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WHAT THE??? What the hell do you people eat? You all need to run to local grocery..er..uh.. BP station, buy some Flamin' Hot Cheetos, (get several bags, they're only a quarter), wash 'em down with a Faygo Orange, and splurge on a pack of Ho-Ho's and a bag of Funions for dessert.

Sushi... Chihuhua bread???? What does pilates taste like?

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 264
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

WHAT THE??? What the hell do you people eat? You all need to run to local grocery..er..uh.. BP station, buy some Flamin' Hot Cheetos, (get several bags, they're only a quarter), wash 'em down with a Faygo Orange, and splurge on a pack of Ho-Ho's and a bag of Funions for dessert.

Don't forget to throw the wrappers on the ground once consumed.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you say brunch on the harbor!

http://www.theonion.com/conten t/node/51852

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.