Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Winter Classic in Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 239
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The NHL conducted its new annual outdoor hockey game on Jan 1st between the Buffalo Sabres and Pittsburg Penguins. It took place in Buffalo and was a huge success.

Does anyone think that it would be cool to have this in Detroit? What would be the pro's/ con's? Wings vs Bruins, Leafs, or Av's?

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 257
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where? Comerica Park? I don't see a venue suitable for this event in the metro area. Maybe Michigan Stadium.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 929
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember, UofM and MSU did the exact same thing about 7 years ago at spartan stadium. Not really a new or novel idea.

Michigan Stadium would not work very well, IMHO. The pitch to the seating is too flat and gradual to be able to see much beyond the boards if the rink was placed at midfield. Actually, the best outdoor stadium for this sort of thing might have been Tiger Stadium, with its larger upper deck seating sections.

BTW, isn't the NCAA Frozen Four going to be held at Ford Field sometime in the next few years anyway? Will they place the ice at center of the field, or in one endzone, similar to the way the pistons used to play ball at the Silverdome?

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 296
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The issue I saw watching the Winter Classic was that the closest seats were at least 10 yards from the ice. If they do this at Comerica Park they would need to infill with seats, which would also raise the capacity. Although they wouldn't be tiered I'd put money on the fact that people would still take them. Ford Field would be silly since the idea is that it's outdoors. Maybe We can get a new ice arena with a retractable roof... ha.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 51
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Maybe We can get a new ice arena with a retractable roof... ha."

I'm hoping for this as well. I think the NHL wants to see more open air games in the future and I think Detroit has a chance to the lead the way.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 297
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did ford field ever have plans for a partially retractable roof?

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UM and MSU are in talks to hold the "Cold War II" at Ford Field.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 288
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attended the Cold War in E. Lansing back in 2001. For early October, it was unseasonably cold! This was just barely after the 9-11 attacks and security was strict, my girlfriend wasn't even allowed to bring in her purse. As for an outdoor game in the metro area, I don't think it would happen. As mentioned above, Michigan Stadium is too flat and I don't think Comerica would have good sightlines for it. Perhaps we can get a giant can opener and tear off the Silverdome roof. Not like they're using it for anything! As for the Frozen Four, it will be at Ford Field April 8 and 10, 2010.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 576
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another problem with siting the game at Michigan Stadium is parking: the golf course where so many park in the fall would be tough to navigate if there's much accumulation of snow.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 52
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We don't need to worry about playing outdoor hockey at CoPa. Very soon Illtch will be building a new stadium for the Wings. It needs to have a retractable roof so Detroit can be the first to capitalize on this emerging trend in hockey.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 241
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's what the Wings had to say about the possibilty of hosting a Winter Classic:

http://redwings.nhl.com/team/a pp?articleid=348514&page=NewsP age&service=page

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.