Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Juno and Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11732
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last night, after looking on rottentomatoes.com to see what movies were getting good reviews, we settled upon Juno. Long story short, it's the comedy where the 16 year old gets pregnant.

Anyways, throughout the movie there were 3 Detroit tie-ins that I made note of. One, the mention of the White Stripes. Secondly, 2 or 3 mentions of Iggy Pop and the Stooges as one of the best bands of all time, and lastly, Soupy Sales.

I just searched imdb.com and couldn't find a Detroit tie-in from the ones who made the movie, or any of the top actors. I did notice however that a few had been born in Canada. I wondered if it was simply a case of having a border city connection to Detroit growing up.

Does anybody know if there is some sort of connection with Detroit, or if it was simply a coincidence?

As for the movie, the dry humor by both Juno and her father were top notch. It was no wonder it had a 94% rating.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1756
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

juno is Trina Lahey from trailer park boys

Supersport

Post Number: 11733
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did that show have a Detroit tie-in or something?

Upinthewoods
Username: Upinthewoods

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You actually paid money to see juno? If ever there was a movie that screams chick-flick it is that one. I see who wears the pants in that relationship. I might find that appealing if I was 14 and had a vagina.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4284
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some people, who know stuff about films, are actually saying good things about it.

That seems like a disproportionately high number of Detroit tie-ins. Perhaps the film's writer is from Detroit?

Sbradke
Username: Sbradke

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The movie is very good - written for an adult audience. It is in no way a "chick flick."

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

upinthewoods, but dude, you are 14 and have a vagina.

I'd say the references to Detroit music are earned and not a gratuitous nod. Soupy Sales went national at some point after leaving Detroit for either NYC or LA.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 510
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yah, Juno is not a chick flick and that was apparent by the demographic of the theater I saw it in.

I thought the movie could have been based in Michigan at first, until all the clues and the give-away revealed it was Minnesota. The culture and portrayed way of life paralleled that of a place in Michigan.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not 14, I don't have a vagina, and I want to see Juno because I've seen Michael Cera and Ellen Page in other movies and I think they're phenomenal actors for their age.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5915
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saintme, great handle. Welcome to Forum.
Invent a similar name for a Jewish guy from the Westside.

jjaba, alpha male.

Dannyv

Post Number: 70
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rocket-city, I believe it's set in Minnesota but was actually filmed in Vancouver and Burnaby, BC.

Arab_guyumich
Username: Arab_guyumich

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Juno was written by a former stripper turned screenwriter named Diablo Cody. She hails from Minnesota and is a big pop culture geek, and this is evident in "Juno" as it's overloaded with pop cultural references (Iggy, et all).

http://diablocody.blogspot.com /

I think you guys are reading a Detroit connection into a music nerd screenwriter's preference for name-dropping. It's a credit to Detroit's rich contribution to music history, and not something more involved. Good flick by the way, but the dialogue is really contrived at first.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3242
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If ever there was a movie that screams chick-flick it is that one. I see who wears the pants in that relationship

Well, if she "wears the pants" why does she like
"chick flicks"? Wouldn't she prefer something manly with car crashes, explosions and fart jokes, preferably based on a video game?

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I think you guys are reading a Detroit connection into a music nerd screenwriter's preference for name-dropping. It's a credit to Detroit's rich contribution to music history, and not something more involved."

The simple answer is this; the film composer's family is out of Detroit
And because of the Border issue, a lot of us have Canuck blood, therefore much Canadian humor will reasonate with Detroit, pure & simple

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2816
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is Iggy Pops connection he was from ann arbor?..........

Supersport

Post Number: 11735
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ann Arbor = Metro Detroit...we've covered this MANY times CL.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2817
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That aint got a thing to do with it Sport......the fact that you are wrong regarding Ann Arbor and the fact that the stooges and iggy were firmly an ann arbor entity before they ventured out.

Dannyv

Post Number: 71
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the psychedelic stooges would have languished in obscurity if the MC5 hadn't taken them under their wing and used them as their support band for their shows and at the grande ballroom where they came to the notice of Danny Fields from Elektra Records who signed both bands to recording contracts. tho' you may be technically correct that the psychedelic stooges were from the ann arbor area, it was in Detroit that they gained recognition, notoriety and fame. no one ever referred to them as part of the Ann Arbor rock scene but they were considered part of the Detroit music scene. Same with Bob Seger for that matter.

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1983
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Juno was one of the best movies I've seen in years. As real as it could have been. There was one part where I was thinking.. 'oh no, here we go..' but then it didn't go like that.. it went.. as it should have. Very refreshing and again, real.

(Message edited by atl_runner on January 06, 2008)

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 600
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Juno had a refreshing soundtrack as well...
I have not listened to the moldy peaches in a while and their music fit well with the characters.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.