Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » One persons opinion of why the city looks the way it does « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL...

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=1303837227&size=o

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4278
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow!

Thanks for posting that. I wonder if the message will get through.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen.

Mcwalbucksnfitch
Username: Mcwalbucksnfitch

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love that. A lot.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 4:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's true. It's not the worst of the city's problems, of course, but I pick up empty 25-cent chip bags on a nearly daily basis outside my house. This despite the fact that there are trash cans all over the place.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 941
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswithhawk, I believe you live near me in SW Detroit. Another problem for us is the circulars - I can easily pick up hundreds when I walk. First, the poor guys who need a job attach them with rubber bands to all the street-side fences that line my neighborhood (not your, I think) and then the circulars are ignored for weeks ar months, building up in layers on the fences and gates. Then they begin to blow around. Its horrible. They are both a critical source of income for some down-and-outers and a terrible plague.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We put a sign on our front window that says "No Sale Papers Please" and haven't gotten a single one. It was insane before that, averaging two a day for each apartment, getting almost 30 a week just on our front porch--never opened a single one either!

Detroitfats
Username: Detroitfats

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with 'ya Rawk. Trash is not the worst of the problems here in Warrendale, but damn I get tired of picking other people's garbage off my lawn. I see a hundred people a day walk out of the neighborhood stores and gas stations casually dropping trash, food and bottles at their feet. I just can't understand it. It's funny about the circulars--All of a sudden, I get about 3 or 4 a day. My house looks abandoned if I don't pick up the circulars and the trash in front of my house at least once a day.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trash may not be the worst of Detroit's problems, but I think that a lack of pride among residents hurts the city- a lot. If Detroiters can't be bothered to pick up trash, and city workers never get around to it, who will?
Like the sign, though!

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 5:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with the sentiment about trash, and Detroit is different from every other place in the US...how? We hosted some people visiting from Malaysia several years ago. They said that the US is a wonderful country, but there were two things that they could not get past: people throwing away so much food in restaurants and trash everywhere. We lived in a very rural area in NE Indiana. It's not a Detroit problem - it's an American problem.

Tompage
Username: Tompage

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The top four (in no particular order) trash items I pick up in my north Brush Park neighborhood: 1) Newport cigarette packs; 2)Chip bags; 3) water bottles; and 4) fast food styrofoam containers (usually hot dog shaped).

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 155
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second that list Tompage and would like to add plastic grocery bags (often stuck in the bushes) and those tiny bottles of alcohol.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Wow!

Thanks for posting that. I wonder if the message will get through."

hmm for some reason I don't think yor average poster here litters/dumps crap in alleys.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3575
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny, I hope it works!

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 604
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ferndale has a trash problem as well... A Taco Bell is near my street and the folks who work there dont secure the dumpster...when the wind blows trash flies out of the container and onto the streets. Fine(s)?

1. fast food papers/styrofoam
2. plastic grocery bags/newspaper bags

Its a mentality...i wish police would somehow enforce the law...I know it would be impossible but how great would it be to see someone get busted for dumping a bag of taco bell out from their car while driving...$1,000 for city just like that.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4232
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Malaysia ... isn't that where they have overly harsh laws against littering? Or was it Singapore? I'm thinking of a story about something like caning people for chewing gum in public or something bizarre like that.

I think I'd rather put up with the litter.

Usnsubvet77
Username: Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz,

Yes it is Singapore. Having been there, I can dispell your fear that they do not cane people for chewing gum. You just get a fine for chewing gum (something like $500...the same for not flushing a public toilet or offending to modesty of a woman) However, not a bit of trash is on the street ANYWHERE. Respect not fear is the motivation for their cleanliness. Overly harsh laws? They must be doing something right...

I wonder if active neighborhood patrols would deter some of this. Are there any right now out of curiosity?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6951
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If we don't clean ourselves up, we might as well mess up our community.

The Ghettoman told me the rest of the Street Prophets that No leaders means no social development. So we need reformed leaders to keep the social movement going otherwise there is no movement only MAD MAX!

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2024
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Occasionally someone does get busted for littering in the suburbs, at least with more extreme cases like this guy:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2008801080364

Funaho
Username: Funaho

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being one of the few house on my side of the block to not have a fence seems to make me a target for a never ending stream of trash. Hell last summer I found an entire plate and some silverware in my front yard! I'm talking an actual glass plate and decent silverware too (not that I kept the stuff.)

It just baffles me that people have so little caring for how their city looks. It's not like it's a huge inconvenience to carry that chip bag or empty cup with you a few extra blocks and throw it away at home/school.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4495
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.