Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Memories of old cars « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 371
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enjoy!

http://thefiftiesandsixties.co m/CarsWeDrove.htm

James

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4192
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bravo!

Cookie, lend me your comb?

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was fun!

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was so much fun to look at on a cold day. Gets me thinkin' about spring when the Rod's come out to play again.

Only 8 months until the Woodward Dream Cruise!

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1563
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim, it was Kookie (as in Edd "Kookie" Byrnes).

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 489
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was great! I had the 60 Chevy in high school. Brought back lots of memories seeing that.

And gotta love the countdown to the WDC - Hornist9!

Yeah, those were the days.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 880
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had a '56 Ford convertible...white with blue top, skirts, spinners, dual glass pacs...the whole deal...ah, the memories!

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 709
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had a '54 Ford Customline...Blackwalls - two tone (Cream color top and dark blue bottom) - straight 6 ....the whole deal....ah, the memories....and I wanted to be just like a neighborhood guy in a '56 white convert....He was a thug type guy and not going to college as far as I could figure out

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 172
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my 2nd car was a 65 comet, still have it. back in 86/87 used to wake up every hour to see if it was still in front of my grandparents house on pierson &cambridge, grandpa said 'YOU AIN,T PARKING THE OLD CAR IN MY DRIVE, IT LEAKS EVERY THING' but 20 yrs later i keep telling the kids your cars leaking why don,t you fix it. sounding like gramps more and more.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 337
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 4:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a 1949 Ford. The quarter panels were rusted up almost to the engine. When it drove the panels rose out from the wind, making it look like it had wings. A friend of mine painted a little picture of a car at the rear and we called ir "Son of Flubber".

393bird
Username: 393bird

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any of you guys still "Gear Heads"? My 1st car was a Henry J, that I put a 57 Studebaker Golden Hawk drive train in. My project car now is a 93 Thunderbird with a 393 stroker and a BIG Vortech supercharger. We have to grow old, but we do not have to grow up :-)

Reddog289

Post Number: 176
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 3:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

393bird , your right,. i never grew up either cept my money went to the bar. now i,m "settled down". got my garage and just gotta get stuff together, and fix some leaks. i sorta envy the folks who drove the cars in the 50,s/60,s. when i worked on my 65 it was alot easier then my 91.

Jrvass

Post Number: 377
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't claim to be a gear head, although I did have a transmission fluid shampoo when installing a big-block in a '73 Z-28. Now I just watch & comment as my neighbor rebuilds a '56 Corvette from the frame, up.

I imagine it will be finished by Dream Cruise time.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 340
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I learned how to drive on a '53 'Vette. My boyfriend had a red, four-speed. No automatic transmissions for me. His wife sold that car after he died about thirty years ago. I hear that those "Vettes are worth close to a million dollars now.

Jrvass

Post Number: 378
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father owned a '53... 155/300. He also had one as a company car. Someone a while ago posted an advertisement of the Rinke family in 004/300 that Fred Rinke owned in their Chevy dealership.

AFAIK that is the earliest Corvette. 1 & 2 were used for testing and crushed. Rumor is #3 was in a fire and didn't survive.

OK. Quik Quiz... What was the name of the '53 engine?

A. Straight Six
B. Blue Flame Special
C. Orange Engine

Winner gets a blessing from jjaba!

Jrvass

Post Number: 379
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW... '53 vettes came in white w/red interiors. Maybe you are thinking a later year?

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 98
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jvass B. Blue Flame Special

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 100
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

53 Vettes were all autos.

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 197
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does a 1934 Buick Limousine qualify?
A spare tire in both front fender wells.
A straight eight engine.
Two jump seats behind the driver and passenger seats.
And a fantastic 6 miles to the gallon!
Naw, too staid.
I bought it in 1947 for 200 dollars and then later sold it for 215. That was one of my better deals.
When I think about it, it is one of the reasons I do not keep a gun in my house.

Jrvass

Post Number: 380
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jman wins. Blue Flame Special.

Unusual to the car was a blue valve cover with the name Blue Flame Special. It was a freaking 6 cyl. motor!

Not the usual orange that you associated with GM/Chevy 8 cyls. of that era.

My father drove his '53 on 696 shortly after it was originally opened ('70-ish?). The steering broke and he had to "feather it" to a stop without crashing a wall.

Dad is still around at 81. The car was sold for a '58 and '63 Corvettes. Those are gone now also.

I'm happy when I get a phone call that doesn't begin with "Mom" (or Dad) "fell today".

Jjaba, you owe him/her a blessing. Subtract it from my bill.

I'll have my Methodist Sinister/Minister/Sister say one for you!

Reddog289

Post Number: 180
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don,t know if this thread has ever been posted? but where did the older gearheads buy their speed parts?. i remember hollywood & gratiot auto supply. shopped at ramchargers also.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 858
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blue flame.

Another Quiz:

What was the early 60's Corvette modeled to resemble?

Jrvass

Post Number: 381
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 4:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Mako Shark?

Gratiot Auto Supply used to have great posters!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.