Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit Jit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4417
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I became intrigued about Detroit Jit, when it evolved as a great tangent on the Gangs of Detroit thread by Blksoul_x, Kova, Vetalalumni and others, as another outstanding example of from-the-ground-up Detroit creativity and culture.

These links over that thread, one actually videoed by Kova http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =JxvzqbnT4Vk and one piece about the famous Detroit Dance show "The Scene", caught my attention - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =0fdzDKp4EO4

I thought it deserved its own thread because as a lot of folks might miss it in the other thread and it is not directly gang related. It is also interesting in its historical connection to the jitterbug of bygone days and other dance styles.

This one brings us up to today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Mf0AsckXYUM&feature=related and has links to other relevant Detroit dance vids.

Tell us about it.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 253
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mmm.......I'd call it Detroit "River Dance"
mostly lower body movement without tap shoes.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2453
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been doing my part to teach New Yorkers the Detroit ballroom...

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the Detroit Ballroom? That close/fast concoction you'd see guys doing at the Chancery?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2454
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the Detroit Ballroom? That close/fast concoction you'd see guys doing at the Chancery?

It's a line dance. It's actually more commonly referred to as the Ballroom Hustle.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3482
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just the thought of line dances makes me almost homicidal.

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 126
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Jit has it origins in a version of the lindy hop known as the jitterbug. The roots of this can be seen in the name of Jit - JITterbug or also sometimes known as buggin as in jittBUG. From what ive been told, basically in the 50s and 60s some detroiters took the jitterbug (which was a partnered dance) and transformed it into more individualized dance. Jit itself actually predates the earl flynns ( errol flynns). The following video is an example of PRE-earl flynn jit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =bJJ9KjKznaM

The real history of Detroit Jit is only starting to be documented and revealed. There are a few individuals out there trying to connect the dots and understand the evolution of this dance. The people who know the history are out there, but its finding them that is proving to be quite difficult.

I might as well add that I am a student of this dance and have been learning the various styles from Dennis ( the guy in the errol flynn video)

ill post more tidbits later.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1331
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ballroom Hustle is like the most popular dance at parties now. You will see it 5-6x per party. When the party is whack, the DJ knows to put on a ballroom hustle song to liven it up.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 115
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a list of some other popular dances that is rooted exclusively in Detroit great dance history.

The Rambisko__(during the early to mid 80's)...a slight head bobbling, going from one side to another...usually done by trouble makers wanting to start a ruckus...there was also said to be a popular street gang, near Nevada a 6mile called the 'Rambisko Flynn's'.

The Funkateer/or Funkateering__(late 70's to late 80's)...evolved from the Jitterbug(early Jit)..and was infused with Popping, Locking, and Fitting, and Flynn's during the early beginning's of the Detroit Techno sound ...many of these dancers and Funkateer-crews typically went on to dance in the early 80's phenomenon of male dancers in Detroit...ie: Watts Mozambique, Henry's Palace, and Motown Varsity Parties.

The Schoolcraft(mid 80's)..this dance was done by kicking the legs from one side of the body to the other...the Schoolcraft street gang in the mid 80's claims responsibility of the creator of the dance craze.

The Linwood Hustle(late 70's)__was a hustle done in the late 70's by club goers__the origin of the name may not be directly associated with the street name Linwood Ave. Also some say the Linwood hustle was an early style of the more nationally popular dance of the time called, 'The Bus Stop'.

'Getting Paid'(late 80's 90's)__This dance was popularized by a downtown gang called the 'be-likes' that terrorized the hart plaza summer festivals during the 90's...a dancer on the New Dance Show, by the name of Moses, popularized the dance into the mainstream of Detroit.

As far as the Hustle, Detroit cannot exclusively claim the origins of this now popular club phenomenon. Each City around the Country has it's own version the Hustle. One of Detroit hustle dances includes a style that is dedicated to our rich Techno History.(not sure what the name is)

...and yes, the Detroit Ballroom, Stepping, and Hustle is very popular in Detroit's Black Clubs, Bars, and Lounges...to be sure, if you don't know how to do either the dances, you may be sitting all night....Needless-to-say, Hustle and Ballroom lessons are very popular in the D.

blksoul-atcha!

Kova

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice post Blksoul. Yes, Rambisko, the full name of the dance now simply known as Bisco. This dance has been incorporated into most current Jitters sets.

an example of the modern version of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =wo-YCPEl4qY

As far as the funkateers, well, there is a lot of history with this group. They are arguably the best group to come out of the D ( actually Inkster). interest in funkateering is coming back. Some elements have remained in modern jit, but only the old school cats "really" know how to do it.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1811
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah it is actually a crime punishable by death for a Detroiter to not know how to ballroom. Its funny going to any party and watching the most tough Tone of tough Tones just bust out and start ballrooming with all the ladies after mean mugging everyone for the last two hours.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They kinda started out as the single women's dance lol. Like it was said above, if you can't do them, you won't dance much that night.

Kova

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two of my friends did a show on WDET about the jit. Its about a third of the way in

http://www.wdetfm.org/audio/de troittoday/274/FRIDAY_FINAL.MP 3

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 857
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depending on who you ask, and the context, males who dance well may be qualified as effeminate, but who cares? Many of the really good dancers in the Motor during the late 70s and early 80s were gay, some openly and flamboyantly. Similar to the dancers seen on the Soul Train reruns from the late 70s to early 80s. The old Studio 54 downtown had some of the best dancers in the city. Serious partying went on in that basement establishment! Chic, Cheryl Lynn, and Bohanon.

Also, some of the gang-bangers back then who danced well were on the "down-low". These are not disparaging comments, only observations.

Some of the places around the city where serious dancers could be found were the Studio 54, The Introvest (west side of Greenfield Road near 7 Mile Road), Sentinel Building (East Jefferson), and that old club on the northeast corner of Greenfield and Schoolcraft. Then there was the clubhouse at that large apartment complex out by Metro airport. Others included the Red Parrot (Southfield), St. Andrews Hall, and a hall on the south side of 8 Mile Road near Schaefer or Wyoming.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4419
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interpretations please, by our panel...

Detroit dance

Detroit dance

Detroit dance

Kova

Post Number: 129
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

first guy is a poser, i saw him at demf- in this photo he is trying to do some sort of Robot.

2nd guy goes by the name vicous, represents chicago tribe. He is a bboy ( breakdancer) He has been DJing recently-

Last guy is from Kalamazoo, his name is Sabian. Represents a crew by the name of G-style out of pomona california. This guy is one heck of a dancer. He does a style of dance generally known as Popping, and more specifically does a "sub style" known as waving (more specifically he does g-style waves which is a larger "school of thought" within popping). haha yup

here is a clip of him practicing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =7Acf3mpcLhE

None of these folks are jitters however.

Im certainly going to let them know about this great shots :-)

(Message edited by KOVA on January 05, 2008)

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 859
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deference to those in the know about current trends and the art in general. Not impressed however. IMO, the best never receive(d) wide-spread acclaim. Street legends who were easily recognized regulars at the hot-spots around town, unbeknownst to the general public.

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 182
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it's not the same dance or even in Detroit, But I still got a kick out of this today.

http://www.break.com/index/yel low-dog-mascot-has-awesome-mov es.html

Jit
Username: Jit

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get Yo Jit On

Margdar
Username: Margdar

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The jit is too fresh! I discovered it at the University of Michigan when a Detroit-native associate of one of the dance groups broke it down for us. I've been hooked on jitting v. juking videos ever since!!

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 334
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know if anyone noticed or if I'm stating the obvious but the music in that Jit Footwork video on Lowell's first post is Underground Resistance (DJ Rolando) El Jaguar, but speeded up.

(Message edited by Gianni on January 09, 2008)

Kova

Post Number: 130
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 4:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margdar

Is that person still at U of M, mind tellin me their name or the dance group?

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 359
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is great stuff. thanks for sharing. what i want to know is how to compare detroit "ballroom" line dancing with the country line dancing craze of several years ago. there are similarities ...although the detroit version is much cooler. which came first and how come the urban and country crossover, or vice versa?

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 869
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Though not Motor Jit, this (humble) fellow is one the best (break) dancers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =fyMasVRj4KI

Thread-jack not intended :-)

(Message edited by vetalalumni on January 09, 2008)

Traxus
Username: Traxus

Post Number: 115
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's strange seeing this dance documented, I've found myself performing (dare I say busting) similar moves without thinking anything of it. No training or watching other people to pick it up, it just felt like a natural evolution of bodily movement. Definitely has to be a Detroit thing. If I recall correctly its an elaborate tap dance pretty fast paced and without the irritating noise, with aspects of the tango in that you sometimes 'draw' with your feet. (Excuse my layman's knowledge of dance terminology).

I was into this style for awhile until I got self conscious, (less substance = more self awareness, usually). Definitely a lot of fun once you get into it though.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.