Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » The Chrysler Loan Guarantee Act of 1979 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6928
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone in this forum know about the U.S. government role in the Chrysler Loan Guarantee Act of 1979? It seems to me that one of our big three car companies is asking the Government for help to prevent sudden bankruptcy. That's one of the prime reasons that Chrysler survives to this day.

Jaja
Username: Jaja

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The US gov merely guaranteed the loans Chrysler
got elsewhere to survive in those years (I've been @ Chrysler 31 years) and in return for that, got a fee which I believe amounted to somewhere in the $80-90 Million range, which, by the way was paid earlier than scheduled...by Lee Iacocca...

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1335
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lee was the man

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4389
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, I'm surprised you don't know the story. I thought it was common Detroiter knowledge.

Jaja

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even though not one penny came out of taxpayer's
pockets, there was some apathy in Congress to doing this guarantee.... Chrysler was verrry close to declaring bankruptcy...just think of the impact... 120,000 workers out of work..
How much would that have cost taxpayers??

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 107
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and yet to this day everyone calls it the Government bailout of Chrysler...

jeeez. the freaking liberal media will NEVER get it right...

Silas
Username: Silas

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was Lee Iacocca’s drive and personality that convinced congress to sign the load guarantee for Chrysler. Without Lee Iacocca, Chrysler would not exist today.
The K-Car is the car Iacocca pushed that saved Chrysler.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6930
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge,

I basically know about the The Chrysler Loan Guarantee Act of 1979 I just want you all forum folks to know most of the details about it. By the way Chrysler did pay all the commission money back to its investors after the Dodge Caravan was a hot seller.

Jaja

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing about the K-car... when they were
intro'd, Chrysler built the top of the line models (with vinyl landau top, chrome wire wheel covers..etc) first,when customers came into the dealerships and looked at the sticker...well.. shock!... within a couple of weeks, the 'plain janes' were quickly built and delivered to dealers, and then, the sales took off....years later the same thing happened to the Pacifica intro... some marketing folks just never learn....

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1965
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the long, stony end of the K-Car platform Chrysler had one more year to trot out the latest permutation at the Detroit auto show, and by then it was pretty hard to convince the press or the public that anything was new or exciting.
At the press preview Bob Lutz stood at the podium, read the copy off of the teleprompter about the new K-deritive and then went off script to say "Ladies and Gentlemen, this is the last time you will see a car like this from the Chrysler corporation" Iacocca still had his say in terms of product and they still had lots of crushed velour in the interiors.
A reporter stuck his head inside the car, looked around, looked right a Bob, who was standing nearby and said "Ahh, life inside a trombone case"!
If the company ever needed the LH-cab forward models, that was the time.
We'll see what Cerberus brings down the pike a few years from now.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.