Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Saks Fifth Avenue « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Designerguy24
Username: Designerguy24

Post Number: 97
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone confirm this for me? Did Saks Fifth Avenue use to have a location in Downtown Detroit? If so where? Was it better then the Somerset location? Any memories of going there?

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 863
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was told that it was on Washington at one point, and then in New Center. I have no clue how accurate this is though.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Saks in its own building in New Center by the Fisher Building. My sister used to get her hair cut there.

I was really little when I was there, and I don't go to Somerset, so I can't compare. I don't remember one downtown, but I wouldn't swear there wasn't one.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1821
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there a Saks on Second Avenue?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6031
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Saks in New Center was in the Albert Kahn Building (on Second Ave.), just north of New Center One Building (NE of the Fisher Building). It is a 5 story building.

Wirt
Username: Wirt

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't it across the street from Dittrich Furs? - west of the Fisher Building

Gistok

Post Number: 6032
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, it was NE of the Fisher Building. West of the Fisher Building today is a parking lot. The large 5 story building that used to house Saks still exists.

Wirt
Username: Wirt

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, Thanks

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1506
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saks was in what is now known as Albert Kahn. Back then, it was called the New Center Building.

This store was closed when the Fairlane Saks opened.

Crowleys also had a store on Woodward and closed it when it was moved to the New Center One building.

I do not recall a Saks being anywhere on Washington. Most stores on Washington were far too small to be Saks, though there were several carriage trade stores located on the Blvd.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 292
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was once on Washington Downtown. My grandmother used to work there. She once told me that her boss yelled at her for eating her lunch on Woodward since it wasn't as classy as Washington and that itd be terrible if one of the Saks patrons saw her over there..

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 625
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Saks store in the New Center Building was on either side of the building's lobby, which is entered from Second Ave. In the rear of the building, on the east side, was the valet parking entrance.

Demery's was a smaller department store on the SW corner of Woodward and Milwaukee, IIRC.

Designerguy24

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone happen to have pics they can post of the interior and exterior of the New Center Saks Fifth Avenue?

Elevator_fan
Username: Elevator_fan

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It occupied the first two or three floors of the Albert Kahn building. That's why the building has huge ground floor windows. There was a valet parking entrance on the right side of the building. I remember the four very noisy elevators in there.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3534
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think Saks was ever on Washington Boulevard (maybe you're thinking of the women's store Sax-Kay). Saks was in the new center since the early 1940s. The Saks beauty salon was in the Fisher Building.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 509
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there a Crowley's over by the new center also? I seem to remember one being there but I could be wrong.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it was Jjw. It closed around the Y2K or late 90s.

Gistok

Post Number: 6036
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjw... read Detroitplanners post... :-)

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1373
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are a couple of Saks advertisements that appeared in the Grosse Pointe News.

Dec. 4, 1941

Saks, Dec. 4, 1941

Aug. 23, 1945

Saks, Aug. 23, 1945

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 293
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem perhaps you're correct or my grandmother is mistaken on location.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 501
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saks @ Fairlane (which moved from New Center in 80') officially closed 12/31/07. Although it was just an "Off Fifth" outlet location for the past several years. Another victim of changing demographics and an economic downturn.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5886
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saks Fifth Avenue Stores. 54 stores, 25 states.

The outlet stores were called Clearinghouse, changed to Off Fifth.

jjaba.

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 3:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, to be accurate, the Albert Kahn Building is 10 stories tall.

The Saks was there from 1940's to the early 1980's.

There is an article that talks a little bit about the circumstances of its opening. The link to the article is in a past thread entitled "The Rockefeller Center of Detroit"

Designerguy24

Post Number: 100
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have a link to the "The Rockefeller Center of Detroit" thread I seem to not be able to find it.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1376
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Rockefeller Center of Detroit"

Philm
Username: Philm

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad worked at that Saks in New Center for almost thirty years.
I have memories of going down there with him on Saturdays now and then. I used to hang out in the tunnels connecting the NC Bldg with Fisher and GM buildings.

Are those tunnels still in use?

Phil

Designerguy24

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

found this information about the Detroit Saks http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/d/dh hcc/retailers/saks.html

Designerguy24

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saks Fifth Avenue Detroit window display 1940's

and another one I couldnt load http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/i/image/image-idx?sid=4c1ab9489563be2e8e79bfd07ea7b5e3;xc=1;g=samplegroupic;q1=Saks;rgn1=ic_all;c=aict;c=cfai;c=dhhcc;c=djg;c=hcc;c=heartic;c=hfhcc;c=hmcc;c=map;c=mbd;c=rcn;c=vmc;evl=full-image;quality=2;view=entry;subview=detail;lasttype=boolean;cc=vmc;entryid=x-71038;viewid=71038;start=1;resnum=34

(Message edited by Designerguy24 on January 03, 2008)

W_6_mile
Username: W_6_mile

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the interior design of Saks Somerset.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.