Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit Historical Society Tours, Lectures, Programs, January-March 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2681
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Historical Society has announced its First Quarter 2008 events, including Behind the Scenes Tours, Author Lectures, Curator Programs, and Films.

Highlights include tours of the Fisher Building, the Old Wayne County Courthouse, Venus Bronze Works, the Buhl Building, and the Penobscot Building; and presentations on Detroit's role as the Arsenal of Democracy, the 1920s Building Boom, and Historic Fort Wayne.

For a full listing with registration and fee details: http://www.detroithistorical.o rg/thingstodo/index.asp

Hope to see you at one of the events!!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3233
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hope to see you at one of the events!

I'm going to try to make the Fisher Building one.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2684
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be on the Fisher Building, Venus Bronze Works, and St. Martha Episcopal Church tours.

Pam: Hope to see you at the Fisher Bldg tour!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3259
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Pam: Hope to see you at the Fisher Bldg tour!

Well you won't be, since I just tried ordering tickets and it is sold out. That was fast.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2536
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sigh. Where's those $49 airfares when ya really need them? :-)

Kathleen

Post Number: 2692
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam: Sorry you missed getting tix for the Fisher Building tour. Apparently these tours are selling out pretty quickly!! I heard from a friend who missed out on the Penobscot Bldg. tour when placing orders late last week; fortunately he got in for the Fisher Building.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2693
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just checked and found that the Buhl, Penobscot, and Fisher Building tours are sold out. I'm surprised that the Wayne County Courthouse tour is not yet sold out; it's hard to get into this building!!

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2541
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd pass that one, Kathleen. I spent all too many days in that place when it was the Traffic and Ordinance division of Recorder's Court. Only pleasant thing about it was playing euchre in the assembly room waiting for our cases to be called.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2699
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I certainly understand, Ray. I might feel that way too, if I had spent that much time in the place. But frankly, recalling the fact that I worked downtown for some 18 years and took most of it for granted, I didn't see what was underneath the surface of many of the buildings I walked by or in every day! So did you ever look up at the ceilings in the courtrooms?

Mikie
Username: Mikie

Post Number: 120
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got my ticket for the Fisher Building tour just before they sold out!

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1535
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen:

I am wondering if the gentleman on the right here (we all know the fellow on the left) is one of the Venus Bronze guys? The picture is about 30 years old, so he might have changed a bit. eeeeek
Venus Bronze Works

Mrsprunk
Username: Mrsprunk

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i will be at the fisher building tour with my husband and parents. this is my first tour and im SO EXCITED! cant wait to meet some of you!

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1545
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MrsP. Try and get as exact info on what sculptor did what. Also, if you are inclined to play "Stump the Tour Guide [some do and some do not], ask to see DiLorenzo's signature on the ceiling paintings and see what happens. There is more. eeeeeek

Kathleen

Post Number: 2706
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrs. Prunk: I've taken to wearing my DetroitYes name badge when I'm attending tours for that very purpose, so please look for me.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.