Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » New Detroiter « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Umtim
Username: Umtim

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello All;
I have been lurking on the forum for a couple of weeks. I am moving to Detroit in February to work in the medical center. We decided to live in Detroit because we love cities and wanted to avoid pumping co2 into the air. I grew up in Mt. Clemens and spent 10 yr in various tours in Ann Arbor. Since then, Baltimore, Houston, Pbgh, Knoxville, etc. We are excited about our move to Detroit. Love the Tigers, Wings, Pistons, Wolverines. Thursday and Friday we will look for an apartment on the River or downtown or midtown area. I like to walk and have walked to work for the past 20 yrs. Hate to give that up.
Any pointers you can give will be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 291
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're working @ the DMC I would recommend the midtown area. In my opinion it's one of the most booming areas with plenty to do, many places to eat and drink and has the greatest number of people walking around. Also has a nearly bearable grocer (university foods).

http://detroitmidtown.com/

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2677
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the Forum and welcome back to Detroit, umtim!!

Yes, if you want to walk to work, you should consider Midtown/Brush Park as potential areas in which to live.

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 203
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd concur. There's a lot of new housing going up in that area, very walkable. Located in the area is WSU, makes the neighborhood lively. Good Choice.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4251
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want to walk to work, MidMed Lofts on Canfield would be a great spot to be. The South University Village development on Woodward just above the Whitney, coming online in a year, might be a good spot starting in your second year here.

Anything in north Brush Park could work in terms of walkability. South Brush Park is much more built up now, but there are new construction condos and older rehabs.

If you can't get your first wish of a place within walking distance, don't forget that the DMC has ample parking and you could live somewhere like Eastern Market, downtown, or west of Woodward. A 5 minute drive (or perhaps a bike ride?) is still a lot better than most commuters do.

Good luck with your move.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 624
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome back to Detroit, Umtim. If you have any interest in the architecture of Meis van der Rohe, you might want to take a look at Lafayette Park. It's probably a bit too far to regularly walk to the Medical Center; but it's only about a 5 minute drive.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11205
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umtim,

You'll want to check out the historic DFD Lofts on the north end of Eastern Market...about a mile from the south side of the DMC complex. We're between Sala Thai and Roma Cafe, two of the best restaurants of their genre in the entire area.

Cool rentals and some accrued towards downpayment on your purchase when they become available after the federal five-year rental period has expired.

Not more than three miles from anything down here...

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just more proof that people who have left the area and came back are more likely to respect all the things the city has to offer. Umtim, my wife and I moved back about year ago, we chose the ellington at mack and woodwward. For sale, but rent to own options are available. Many doctors live here and walk to work. I would contact a realtor, because the sales team is terrible and they don't respond too quick. Try jennifer at detroitnewurbanism.com.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4410
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome home UMtim and welcome to the forum. The Ellington is really attractive and right across from Orchestra Hall if your have enough time left over from all the sports options.

The new Crystal Ballroom Building just to the south looks very promising too and will have a new gourmet market on the ground floor starting February.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1473
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like Midtown is the place for you. The future Mrs and I live and work in downtown and we walk everywhere. We look at our cars about once every three or four days and love it. Midtown basically offers the same opportunities as downtown.

The Ellington sounds like a solid option for you since it has a rent-to-own option, close to your job and some solid retail options below it. Check out these sites:

http://www.ellingtonlofts.com/

http://www.realestateone.com/c ontent/PropertyDetail.asp?list ingNumber=e27096122

You should also check out the "Moving to Detroit/Where Should I Live?" and "Car/Homeowners Insurance" mega threads in the Hall of Fame (HOF) section. Lots of good info there, especially for a new resident.

Umtim
Username: Umtim

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We looked around in midtown but ended up @ Woodward and Gratiot downtown. I can walk up Woodward to work and live where the action is. We are getting jazzed about the move.

(Message edited by umtim on January 05, 2008)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2185
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget about these towers if you want to live downtown and on the river: http://www.riverfrontdetroit.c om/

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4287
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's quite the downtown location, eh? You should be excited...I'm guessing your looking at the various loft apartments in those buildings?

Just know that there will be a lot of construction in the vicinity in coming years, in all likelihood (I'm talking about the Hudson's Block and Broadway...probable development sites for Quicken).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.