Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » A Celebration Free Of Gunfire « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First of all, my apologies if this thread has already been created. I looked about and did not find one so I'm creating this one.

Anyhoo, on to the topic of discussion...

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071231/NEW S01/712310338

Bully-Cummings is running a campaign to get Detroiters to stop ringing in the New Year with gunfire and instead ring it in with a hug. I'm not so much interested in the merits of her campaign or whether or not she will be successful, what I have always wondered is this: Where did this tradition originate from and is it just practiced in Detroit?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1561
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's practiced basically anywhere people have guns, and no fear of attracting police attention by firing them illegally.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 843
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Years Eve gun firing is practiced in many cities.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 192
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is an old custom all over, including in Germany. I think it migrated here from the rural south and Appalachia. It is such a country thing to do.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4253
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, indeed.

Spare the gunfire tonight, and also, no drunk driving. Go to parties that you can walk to, or have a friend drive you--people on medications, and people morally opposed to drinking, can serve a purpose here. There will also be a snowstorm tonight, which makes the odds of a drunk getting themselves home in one piece next to nothing.

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw said: "Spare the gunfire tonight"

Hell, they shooting in my neighborhood already.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would associate the gun-fire as a symbolic expression of freedom...each new year represents a new start, and each new year is celebrated like a war victory...amerikkka's national anthem states,'the bombs bursting in air and rockets red glare', describing victory...sort of explains the country wide phenomenon of guns and a symbolic representation of victory and freedom(or so-called freedom)

It's also a great time to test out your new weaponry(wink)

blacksoul_atcha!

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1644
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well fire it into the ground then. Bullets have to come down somewhere.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet will protect us from the gunfire :-)

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 187
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A celebration free of gunfire, yea right. Coleman Young's idea to curb it was to fly the helicopters! (better targets I guess). the gunshop I worked at sold at the least 10k on new years eve in the 1990's, no exaggeration! Then on the day after newyears we made a killing repairing all the firearms that didn't work.

PS, what happened to the helicopters??

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4174
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Year's gunfire is an old problem in Phoenix. People have died from it.

Tonight I'm assigned the task to ring an antique schoolbell at midnight here in Michigan.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4176
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, I rang the damned bell.

Where's my prize? :-)

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I still heard plenty of guns in the north part of D. Automatics, too.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1262
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do too. It's now snowing hard as heck though.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in SW, which I think I can call on of Detroit's safer, nicer neighborhoods.
Apparently, though, people weren't paying attention to Bully-Cummings.
There was a lot of shooting and not a lot of hugging last night.
How were other neighborhoods?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1565
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No shooting on the NW side of Chicago.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 189
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

warrendale was lit up pretty good

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1505
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can second Warrendale. The redneck boys down the street did not stop till 12:30.

Screw this crap. I got to move to he burbs.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 495
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

12:30? They stopped early.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I live in SW, which I think I can call on of Detroit's safer, nicer neighborhoods."

You're kidding, right?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4693
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SW Detroit has got to be Detroit's safest neighborhood. By a long shot (not gunfire-related...). It's a 24/7 kind of safety. Maybe, the CBD might come close; maybe not.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SW Detroit has everything else on crime in the D(drugs, gangs, prostitution, you name it). However, it's definitely nowhere near safe.

Wsugradguy
Username: Wsugradguy

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heard quite a few gunshots in Newark, NJ. Nothing like my New Year's Eves in Detroit, no automatics, but definitely heard gunfire. By no means is this just a Detroit thing.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 815
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By no means is this just a Detroit thing.

Or a hillbilly thing as someone implied. They do this all over the country and much of the world. Warrendale is especially bad for it I hear.

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard it but it was nowhere near me...Most of the lights on my street were out by 11 pm.

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard one come down. I actually heard a high pitch swoosh. I was going to check out the general area this morning for an interesting conversation piece, but snow & sleet came.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4258
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dplanner, you think people don't do that shit in the burbs? Idiots are everywhere.

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 204
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously, I'm in Harper Woods on the far eastern end, closer to GP @ SCS,and it was like a damn gun show. Someone close to me had a damn shot gun that shook my windows.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11207
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Livonia Friend waited until about 1:15 to leave, thinking that might be the best between those who dashed at midnight and those who would wait until the last call was made.

We cleaned snow off his wife's Saab, the whole time STILL hearing fireworks and gunfire as if the year had JUST turned...so for northern Eastern Market, there was still 'celebration' enough to set off burglar alarms in businesses for blocks around.

Some of 'em were still going off this morning, might've been Roma Cafe's...but I wasn't in any shape to investigate. Party WAS at my house...I'm amazed I made it up the stairs to my bed.

Cheers, all, hopefully we don't hear of any bad reports from the leaded rain.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 523
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why should it be different than any other night in Detroit?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1330
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard street sweepers and chinese typewriters from about 6PM until 11 when I walked out the door.

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulmcall said: "Why should it be different than any other night in Detroit?"

Why should you even be on this board? Seriously, I can't understand why people spend so much time on things they hate as opposed to spending time on things they love.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4261
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No joke. If that's sarcastic or hyperbolic it's lost on me. I'd say the way new years eve sounds is quite a bit of an anomoly.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SW Detroit has everything else on crime in the D(drugs, gangs, prostitution, you name it). However, it's definitely nowhere near safe.

You live here, Detroitrise? Or are you one of those omniscient types? Yes, it's one of Detroit's safer neighborhoods. At least Hubbard Farms, where I live, is.

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 152
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, moving to Shelby Twp won't get you away from it. PLENTY of gunfire around here til about 1230.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 498
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, the gunfire in Rosedale Park seemed the lowest it's been in the last fifteen years or so. While we heard some, it was nothing compared to past years. Didn't know whether to attribute the result to the anti-shooting at New Years campaign or the fact it was snowing pretty good and windy at 12 midnight.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 256
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had the same thing up here in Flint from our "acting" police chief. He said to refrain from shooting real guns into the air, blah, blah, blah.

My husband was awake at midnight this year and he said it sounded like there was automatic gun fire and regular shot guns. So much for listening to our leadership here. People are so stupid.

We also have a huge problem with fireworks during May, June, July and August. Mostly, July. People get nice fireworks and shoot them off around the houses instead of driving or walking two blocks to the park to an area with some open space-and we get shapel all over our roofs. That worries me.

Ah, life in the big city...............

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 194
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Over in our section of Rosedale Park we heard a bit of fireworks starting at 10:30 or so, probably to get them shot off before the rain started. Pots and pans at midnight, and that was about it.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 328
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We had the same thing up here in Flint from our "acting" police chief. He said to refrain from shooting real guns into the air, blah, blah, blah."

If I didn't have to work I was considering going up to Flint to see the action.I was going to get my video camera out and roll down Dupont and make a documentary of an urban new years. I want to make it up there next year. Thats gotta be one exciting place.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4347
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember, if you must shoot, shoot straight up. The terminal velocity of a bullet coming straight down is not likely to kill someone. However, a bullet on a parabolic trajectory can maintain enough velocity to penetrate the skull.

Thanks Mythbusters!

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guns are dangerous, no matter (the 5 W's) you use them.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4348
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Disclaimer: I don't condone shooting guns without a very good reason. My last post was meant for trivia purposes only.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1729
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guns were going off all night in my hood. From 11 p.m. on it sounded like Little Chechnya.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 867
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like all that New Year's Eve celebratory gunfire took at least one life:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/14963801/detail.html?rss= det&psp=news

A 17-year old Detroiter was killed by an accidental stray shotgun blast at a New Year's Eve party in which revelers were firing guns into the air.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2263
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Celebration Of Free Gunfire

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I spent hours shooting guns New Years Eve and into the New Year.

I do mounted shooting and we had a fabulous match in a little town called Sneads, Florida. BTW, we shoot black powder blanks from our .45 revolvers....

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 329
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i just talked to a guy last night who said he was out there shooting. He says the reasons vary depending on who you ask, but in his circle, its about releasing all the pent-up frustration of the old year. The gunfire is symbolic of the stress and anger of the departing year being blown off.
Sorry man, but thats weak. I really don't buy that line of thinking.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the first time since I was in Hawaii in 2001, i didn't hear any gunfire. The reason: I was at my Brother's place in Big Rapids. It was very quiet.

We gripe about New Year's Eve, but I have heard gunfire quite a bit in my South Warren neighborhood. Someone's got an itchy trigger finger. Usually this meatball shoots off a clip in a rapid fire mode, about once or twice a month.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 231
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, the sounds of New Year's Eve.

BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM!
*pause*
ping ping ping ping ping ping

I was in Grosse Pointe Park, near Alter, and was ever so pleased that the church there rang their bells at midnight, drowning out a lot of the gunfire.
Idiots.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.