Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Howard Stern « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bushay
Username: Bushay

Post Number: 111
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did a search here on Howard and it didnt pull up much. Interesting. I enjoy him in the morning on Sirius Radio and while he's vacationing this week they are airing a special all week Titled "The history of Howard Stern" highlighting his rise to the top including his stop in Detroit at WWWW. Anyone have any favorite Howard moments from back then or today?

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 745
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive been listening to this to. It was interesting to hear about his Detroit days. I love Sirius I suggest everybody get it! His show now is funnier than ever!

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3544
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He played Springsteen when everyone was reluctant to. W4 was a really good station for a brief shining moment.

He was actually funny back then. So was Steve Dahl, interestingly enough.

Bushay

Post Number: 112
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I found some of the more interesting parts of the week was when Wnbc out of NY brought in our own Soupy Sales and gave him star treatment over Howard even though Howards rating were sky high and he went balistic.

Bushay

Post Number: 113
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"His show now is funnier than ever"

Some of that "Jack and Rod" and Eric the Midget stuff is pure radio gold. I've been watching a lot of archives on youtube of late trying to catch up as I'm not really a seasoned listener. Beettlejuice, Crackhead bob and even Artie make the show simply dynomite.

Formerspringgardener
Username: Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one thing I recall about Stern and his stint in Detroit was when John Lennon was shot. He informed us on his show which was the morning drive about the murder. If I remember correctly he was just taking Lennon and Beatle requests and played few commercials. You could tell by the sound of his voice that he was really affected by his death as were most of us at the time.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me help you with the "Detroit only" component of this. When I was in high school, Howard was on W4.

His first day on the air, he called the principal of Grosse Pointe North and asked to have the kids given a day off... as I recall, he was declined....Being at South at the time, I wasn't a big fan of them getting a day off anyways.

It seems like it was a short period of time that Howard was with us in the land of Quadzilla and King Quad... and next thing you know, there is a sheepish voice coming over the radio announcing the next country hit (as W4 was no more!)... and just calling himself by his first name...it must have been a painful, if brief, period.

Old Red,

Steve Dahl was great along with George Baer's (is that right?) initial impersonation work.

Whatever happened to him?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1748
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have a recording of him on w4 somewhere were he interviews the ghoul. Howard is a misunderstood icon. every girl ive been friends with hated him at first and then gave a listen and really liked him. I miss his show on wkrk

Elviswithteeth
Username: Elviswithteeth

Post Number: 55
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit radio WAS rated tops in country not to long ago BUT when a couple of companies bought all stations..things changed! Now or most of the radio stations around the country sound the same. I mean each format sounds the same no matter where in the country. Just my opinion. I have Sirius now..so who cares about those commercial filled air-waves!

Elviswithteeth

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot to mention that...DREW BLOWS! Fire him!

Fareastsider

Post Number: 746
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before I got into Stern a guy I worked with commented on Drew and Mike I was listening to and said how much of a Stern rip off the show was. He was dead on it is a complete rip off. The commercial radio comments are dead on. There is no variety or uniqueness on most radio waves it sucks. How many times can Doug Podell be excited to be playing Paradise City by Guns and Roses EVERYDAY! Does Drew still spend hours reading Time magazine articles?

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 803
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After what Howard Stern said about the girls that got killed at Columbine, he should've been taken off the air for good. Shock jock? He's just an A-hole Period.

Wasn't he threatened out in front of the radio station when he was here? Someone pulled a gun on him? One of the reasons he left? Anybody recall that?

Fareastsider

Post Number: 747
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the gun thing was mentioned on the History of Stern. No it wasnt in Detroit it was Washington and he hired the guy and it was a toy gun.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5871
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where did Stern live and where is the station?

jjaba.

Elviswithteeth

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareastsider... Did I get your vote for...FIRE DREW? I do have to admit when I was listening to local Detroit radio..the WRIF did provide a local view point on events locally. Can I get a ..."DREW BLOWS"?

Most folks don't like Stern because he open and honest on subject that are political. Gay rights and the War in Iraq, just to name a few. Censorship is killing free speech.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 807
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, I believe the station was on Jefferson by Mt.Elliot? Not sure, I used to work down there and thats where I recall seeing it.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 997
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Where did Stern live and where is the station?"

I recall him saying that he lived in Southfield.
The studio was on Jefferson just on the north side of 375. WDFN use to operate out of that building until they moved to the suburbs.

Fareastsider

Post Number: 750
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stern said he lived in the Rencen for a while but also mentioned that he didnt want to move to Washington because he told his wife they would settle. He did mention geting a new home. Maybe it was in Southfield where he got a home but I have no clue

Bushay

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone is interested in some of the recent humor being played on Stern's Sirius radio program, have a listen to these 2 phony phone calls I was able to dig up on you tube. These are a couple of my favorite clips.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =UP-JD0ySddM&feature=related
Riley's voice is nothing
more than a recorded clip.

I try and get my wife to listen but she's at this time a non believer. She does love this one though. And so do I.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =WTJhnuQMbL8&feature=related

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Irish_mafia As I recall the school had the day off already & Stern called the principal on-air & grilled him as to perhaps the day off was because of his start on W-4

A lot of Stern's stuff was a direct swipe from Steve Dahl, he really paled going against him back then.

One Detroit guy who Dahl worked with back when HE was on W-4 was Frazer Smith(he did comic voices for him). When I got out here "The Fraze" was a popular morning man on KLOS 95.5(sister station to WRIF) in between non-sequiturs & drug humor he'd reminisce about his days back at Kimball High. He started the bit where you watch the Rose Parade with the sound down while he'd do humorous narration on the radio
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F razer_Smith
http://profile.myspace.com/ind ex.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewpro file&friendID=52036590
http://www.publicitywhore.com/ pwblast26/OTW/comedian.html

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

flyingj, who can forget the Steve Dahl inspired Destroy Disco rock n roll riot at Comiskey Park between ball games between the White Sox and the Tigers. George Kell and Al Kaline, the Tiger TV announcers, came across as baseball Nazis because their little ball game was losing out to a cultural upheaval. I guess it was a turning point as to which side are you on? Steve Dahl should be in the RnR Hall of Fame for that alone.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 993
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In November 1980 I called in to Stern's morning show on a Thursday which was "Howard Solves Your Problems" day. I said that my roommate and I were tired of watching The Love Boat and Fantasy Island every Saturday night. He said, "You should come do Dial A Date. It'll be the first Double Dial A Date." Yay! That was what I was hoping he would say anyway.

We got our questions for the bachelors together at the Ram's Horn on Mack that evening and went down to the station the next morning.

Howard was pretty darn regular and nice to both of us, not racy or anything. He was wearing a wool sweater with, like, deer or whatever around the neckline; gold aviator-style glasses and naturally curly short hair. A typically dorky looking radio guy. When I saw him again years later on Johnny Carson, I think, I had to roll my eyes at the transformation. That 'cool' look is such a farce. I have to laugh.

So, we picked our dates and went out with them in a limousine with a chaperone from the station. I ended up marrying my bachelor (divorced 4 years later). Went back to be on Howard's show once more to update and that's my story.

Oh, and the Leather Weather Lady was there the first morning and I was kind of unsure what to make of her. I was only 19 and not very world-wise.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 812
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "A lot of Stern's stuff was a direct swipe from Steve Dahl, he really paled going against him back then."

Yeah, Steve Dahl was a much bigger deal than Stern back then, everybody was litening to Steve Dahl.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably the best personal Dahl story is we had a credit union adjacent to my Catholic gradeschool & on one of the dating shows the teller called in to get free tickets & a date. Dahl demanded her breast size & of course she refused, so Dahl threatened to assign her "the largest cupsize I can think of" so she rattled off her number. On the playground that day we dared the sleaziest kid among us to razz her so he went in, told her he wanted to make a deposit & when she asked his account # rattled off her measurements. She turned beet red, & he came back to our cheers-it was funny because it was naughty yet he'd Never Get In Trouble on that one

The Leather Weather Lady was Stern's first controversy because he felt the SNL writers jacked the bit from him while on their cross-country p.r. stunt rounding up their new cast
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/8 0/80bleather.phtml

Bushay

Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku,
"i have a recording of him on w4 somewhere were he interviews the ghoul. Howard is a misunderstood icon. every girl ive been friends with hated him at first and then gave a listen and really liked him. I miss his show on wkrk"

Howard advertises on his site daily that he is looking for anyone with old Howard tapes from his past. Might be worth something to you if you passed something like that along.

http://www.howardstern.com/

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1750
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks i have the mp3 i will look into it.

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 156
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just happy that Debbie Schlussel isn't on his show anymore... There is no one on this earth that makes my blood boil more than her.

I think she had a show on WKRK for a short time...

I actually enjoyed the staff and fan favorites of 2007... I never got to hear the whole Artie Howard "bro" argument... glad I got a chance...

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 9288
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Debbie is very refreshing...no political correctness at all, she says what she thinks.

Renfirst

Post Number: 157
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no political correctness? she's crazy...

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flyingj, Irish_mafia was right. He did call GP North's Principal to try to get them to close the school for the day. I was there that day and we did have school. He picked a perfect guy to call though because Principal Feighner had absolutely no sense of humor so I'm sure he sounded like an idiot on the radio. Irish_mafia, the reason Stern didn't call South is because you were all hard core Disco guys (you probably still are).

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 584
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I listen to Stern on Sirius and I loved the special they did about the history of the Howard Stern show. Reg' Radio has come and seen it's time. I think that MP3's Sat' Radio, & etc are going to be the future. There is so many Stern copycats and alot of them are terrible. Drew & Mike being an example. I remember when Sterns show was no longer on free fm and they replaced it with rover's morning glory. That was some of the worst morning radio ive ever heard. It's about as bad as the return of imus.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 925
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soomka1 - You're not mad at South because they had the better looking women are you? I always thought North had the most of the Trans-Am driving disco queens.

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know what year Howard called GPN HS? I graduated in 1977, and don't recall that. But then I don't remember much of anything anymore. :-(

Lefty2

Post Number: 928
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1980 is when he began at wwww

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1186
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was a bit of blurry time for me too Frank.

Lefty, I have to second your analysis of the North vs. South view.

Soomka, I think it is safe to say that no one at North or South accused me of being, in any shape or form, part of the disco element....that did tend to prevail at North.

Soomka1

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

South did have much better looking girls than North. I knew the disco comment would draw you guys out. I would say most South guys from that era were driving around in Broncos blasting Molly Hatchet on their 8-Track player.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's just say that no kid looking like I did then will be allowed anywhere near my daughters!

How many time can one pair of jeans be worn?

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back then, all of us just needed a quick trip to the barber, and the clothing store, and we were fine. That was before tatoos and piercings. Trying to get a good paying job with those must be kinda hard.

Lefty2

Post Number: 943
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soomka,
Nice back handed complement, you are clever.
I am jealous that Bill Babcock pitched for you, he should have gone to South. He wiffed me.

Soomka1

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Babcock was a good guy too. He was the only lefty pitcher that we ever had to face in the Woods-Shores L.L. I hoped that he would make it to the Majors so I could tell my kids that I got a few hits off of him, but I think he hurt his arm in the White Sox minor league system.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seemed to me that Howard had a bit of a lisp when he was a DJ at W4, I thought he sounded somewhat nerdy back then, just my take on him.

Soomka1

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was a nerd. He was kind of an underdog who seemed like he might be in a little over his head. It is crazy to think he is making $100 million a year or whatever they are paying him now.

Renfirst

Post Number: 170
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can definitely notice a change in his voice over the years when listening to the History of Stern segments...

Artie actually commented on the voice differences when they got back from break and Stern indicated that at times the stress he was under at certain stations made him change his voice to more fit what he thought his managers were looking for...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.