Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Statler in Bird's-Eye View « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 399
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone,

While looking at Grand Circus park on local.live.com's bird's eye view, I was very surprised to see that one of the pictures, when rotated to a view from the North looking South, still contained a picture of the Statler. I was very surprised, as I thought most of these pictures were newer.

Anyway, here it is:

Statler Hotel

And here is a link to the actual map.
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=r1p9w882c5gk&style=o&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=3779064&encType=1

Also, I notice the Statler has scaffolding along its northern end. Was there any facade renovation being done before the demolition?

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1622
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I remember correctly, they dismantled the Statler floors by floor, instead of implosion. Since the People Mover track goes right by the Statler, one would assume they did not want a repeat of the Hudson's mess with destroying the track. So that would lead to this picture probably being right before they demolished the Statler, which would be summer of 2005.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4232
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a useful view because I think a potential QL HQ on that site should use the same basic footprint. I see no reason why there should be a plaza or recessed entrance facing GCP...it would make the presence of the DPM tracks even more awkward.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.