Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Historic Ball Parks « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 671
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://tinyurl.com/2pyh9o
Does anyone have anything like this of tiger or olympia anywhere or any other historic place for that matter. I know this is Comiskey but I still thought the whole thing was pretty cool.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 185
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.digitalballparks.com, but these are actually some photoshopped photos that were taken after TS was closed.

Sad, really, because there has to be more out there on the web about old TS.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4680
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city of Detroit had blue laws during early the 1900s that outlawed any games on Sunday. Therefore, for a few early Tiger years, a park for ten thousand fans (named West End Park, among other names) in Springwells at Livernois and Dix (now named Vernor) hosted Sunday home games. The 35-year-old Wayne County sheriff (a Republican, no less) back then owned the ball team (and a few brick yards).

The most lopsided shutout in baseball (21-0) occurred there at the final game of the season in 1901 (or was it 1900?). Since then, that record was broken twice (during the 1970s and a few years ago). [I forgot the actual years.]

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on December 31, 2007)

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5872
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba took his girlfriend to the ballpark and sat high up with her in Section 24, upper deck.
He kissed her on the strikes and she kissed him on the balls. What wonderful memories from the 1950s.

jjaba, with a nod to Soupy Sales.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 164
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

isn,t part of the ballpark where the detroit stars played still intact and in hamtramck? thought i saw something about that.

Ddmoore54
Username: Ddmoore54

Post Number: 338
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you look on the site where that Comisky slideshow is posted there is one for Tiger Stadium:

http://ballparks.phanfare.com/ slideshow.aspx?username=ballpa rks&album_id=306247

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 173
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, I miss Tiger Stadium.

But at least I think we did a better job of replacing our ballpark with a decent new park. I haven't been to "The Cell", but I have seen it from the outside and it looks huge and cold. A few people who have been there have told me that it feels that way too.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 491
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

with a nod to Soupy Sales

It's about time you actually gave him credit after posting that one 30 times.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Cell" opened a year before Oriole Park at Camden Yards. Ooops. Just missed the new retro ballpark wave.

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when Camden Yards opened. It was obvious that they were setting a precedent for the stadiums that followed. I understand that some of the renovations to the cell have made it a bit more fan-friendly.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1560
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It still sucks (Sox Park). I would say most Sox fans still to this day refuse to call it "U.S. Cellular Field". "Sox Park" is common, as is "The Cell".

Being in the same city (and on the same train line), it's night and day between Wrigley and Sox Park, as far as ballpark design goes.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5876
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dds, glad you enjoy jjaba's posts. He can't remember ever posting it before, but you might be right. jjaba watched Soupy at lunchtime from Noble School and loved the pies in the face. We had a circular Olympia tv, first on our block.
In a small "fronchroom", we placed it in front of the fireplace, not used.

You are probably right that jjaba went to 30 day games after school at Cass Tech., mostly Sec. 24,
but for brevity, won't repeat what happened up there, ah the memories.

jjaba, Westsider.

Ticub
Username: Ticub

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that great post of Tiger Stadium, Ddmoore54. I remember when the first demolition ball hit old Comiskey Park. We were vacationing in Chicago and saw it on Tv. Later we drove past the site on the way home. I used to go to a lot of games there when I lived in South Bend.
My feeling will be tenfold when the ball starts whacking Tiger Stadium. I came to know it better when I was fortunate in being able to give tours of the place up to the end. Just a big part of my life in that place.

Bushay
Username: Bushay

Post Number: 115
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just Knew Jjaba couldnt keep his nose out of this thread. I'm guessing Jjaba had plenty of Sec. 24 stories across the land. In fact......they never gave a name of the 2 they caught on camera at the old Toronto Bluejay park. Got a solid alibi?

Jjaba

Post Number: 5877
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 3:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba has been in both the old and new Toronto Blue Jays baseball parks. To reassure Bushay, jjaba ALWAYS pulls the curtains at the hotel.

But I'll tell ya, doing jjaba's Sec. 24 routine in the Skydome Hotel sounds wonderful for an old man. (routine described on post 5872 above.)

Ask jjaba anything. He's been in 35 MLB parks, lifetime.

jjaba, Tigers Fan since before you were born.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 493
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Dds, glad you enjoy jjaba's posts.

Quit putting words in my mouth.

Illwill
Username: Illwill

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It just makes me proud to be from such a great old city like Detroit and I'm sure others from Chicago, Baltimore, Cleveland, Boston and New York feel the same way. The old rust belt history is something that is passed down to one generation after the next and I could never see my self leaving the Great Lakes or East Coast area until my family has been raised and retirement was in place. There is a certain pride and hardcore work ethic that comes with the cold weather cities and I could never see myself raising a family in Arizona or Vegas.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.