Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Entertainment District and new residential development « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering is anybody familiar with the residential area that is basically comprised in a big square lined by jefferson, rivard, and vernor...if you move just east on this map here:

www.detroit-travel-guide.com/d etroit-maps.html

you will see what I'm talking about. I'm sure you guys know about it, but what if that kind of development was incorporated just to the west of MCC?

There is a ton of empty abandoned land there and more good residential development wis needed in that area.

Now for my second idea, how about we just raze all of cass corridor and turn it into an extension of the little entertainment district that we have? Thoughts?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean Lafayette Park?

The Cass Corridor is coming along just fine. gentrification from the DMC and WSU will spread through that area.

About you idea behind MCC, it will all come along in time. Lafayette Park wasn't built overnight. It took years of planning and optimism. Now, it will take years of economic improvement as well.

Welcome to DetroitYES!

(Message edited by DetroitRise on December 30, 2007)

Detmi7mile

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks...yeah see im a young one and I just want to see Detroit booming. I just hope to see it come to fruition within my lifetime. (I'm 22)

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 519
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 3:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lafayette Park was one success story out of hundreds of failures of similar developments constructed between the 1940s to the 1980s in almost all of America's cities. Its design and placement in the city are both unusual and have lent to its success, but other developments have not been so lucky, like the Jeffries housing projects just northwest of it. Continuing this style of development, which involves razing entire neighborhoods and constructing new sprawling neighborhoods on the old land, would be disastrous to say the least. Detroit has suffered enough of this foolishness already.

We all want to see the city improve. While there is a temptation to "wipe the slate clean" and start anew, realize that these areas which you talk about, Corktown North and Cass Corridor, are some of the area's most historic neighborhoods and contain some gorgeous architecture, thriving businesses, and a cohesive street grid (unlike Lafayette Park's meandering cul-de-sacs). Not to mention the thousands of long-time residents who would vehemently oppose being kicked out of their house or apartment to make way for another sprawling urban housing development.

(Message edited by gsgeorge on December 30, 2007)

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1558
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Almost all "Tower in a Park" developments have been colossal failures. Somehow, Lafayette Park has lived on.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 487
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Now for my second idea, how about we just raze all of cass corridor and turn it into an extension of the little entertainment district that we have? Thoughts?

And what do you suggest happen to the 100's of residents, including college students, and successful businesses?

My thoughts? Maybe you should spend some time in the corridor with its residents before you suggest kicking them all out into the street.

Detmi7mile

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dds,

Residents? The only reason I said build a district there is because everytime I go there, I see abandoned buildings, with no street lights on the street. And businesses? I don't see any. Maybe I'm ignorant. If so name some good businesses and restaurants in the corridor and I'll go check them out.

I'm just saying that section of the city looks horrible especially when coming from downtown.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4230
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like you need to take another drive/walk along Cass.

There's the stretch from Grand River to MLKing, which is probably what you're talking about. But it ALREADY IS a blank slate and will inevitably receive much mixed-used, residential, and entertainment development as midtown and downtown meld together (as it alread is doing along John R Street).

North of MLK, the Cass Corridor already is burgeoning as a great neighborhood, and it has always had hundreds of residents and several mainstay businesses. Should this area be revamped? I think not. The infill that it needs is slowly appearing here and there.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4231
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for businesses on or directly off of Cass, try Cass Cafe, Circa 1890 Saloon, La Pita, Old Campus Restaurant, Campus Coney Island, Old Miami, Temple Bar, Christian Science Reading Room, Marwil Bookstore, Canine to Five, JL Auto Shop, University Cleaners, among others.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The only reason I said build a district there is because everytime I go there, I see abandoned buildings, with no street lights on the street. And businesses? I don't see any."

Detme7mile, during the 70s and especially 80s, the Cass Corridor probably received some of the worst neglect and abandonment in all of Detroit. The Crack/Cocaine epidemic, the homeless and bars down there didn't help a thing either. That's probably why you see what you see. However, that's changing now because the region isn't as neglected and its abandoned buildings are getting attention (due to its location) and the overall cause of the area's decline has generally let up (some).

Even during the 70s, just like all of downtown, the Cass Corridor was still chugging along with unique businesses in Chinatown and everything. Of course, overall it has been the hot spot for crime in the city. So you won't see too much vibrancy in an environment that's crime ridden and neglected/abandoned.

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 121
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best thread of 2008.

Detmi7mile

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well that's all I want. SOMETHING to happen in that area. I never could understand how a city could just do that to an area.I know I drove through there the other day and saw a development for the Carlton. I hope more projects like that spring up.

And I also guess they plan to raze those projects because they are boarded up. Did the city move all those people out?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4234
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city could be held responsible for not enforcing codes against landlords. They could be held responsible for not fast-tracking the redevelopment of some parcels between Woodward and Cass in that area. We have to be precise here. We can't just say that the city "did this" to lower Cass. Because, mostly, it wasn't the City.

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 154
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't you guys think the potential development of the new Hockey stadium near that area will do something?

Dds

Post Number: 488
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Residents? The only reason I said build a district there is because everytime I go there, I see abandoned buildings, with no street lights on the street. And businesses? I don't see any. Maybe I'm ignorant. If so name some good businesses and restaurants in the corridor and I'll go check them out.

Take a walk down Brainard and then Selden some day. Apartments filled with people and children. And if someone has to name to you the restaurants and businesses in the corridor, you definitely need to spend some time there. The ones Mackinaw names are just in the Cass Ave. vicinity. There are more. Some of those would be considered part of the University area, not truly the corridor, but hey, some people insist on calling it Midtown, so who am I to pick nits? (I'm willing to bet a lot of money, however, Mackinaw has never been to the Temple Bar... or maybe he has? What do you think Supergay?)

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We can't just say that the city "did this" to lower Cass. Because, mostly, it wasn't the City."

Yeah, part of the blame goes to the citizens near John R and 14 Mile and the citizens living in McMansion out near Brighton and Howell.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4238
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Dds, but it's still a business on Cass.

Renfirst, if we end up getting an arena there (which does not appear likely), we'll have a superblock for the arena, and most of the blocks will be filled with parking garages, and hopefully there will be a few mixed use development parcels. If the arena doesn't go there, there will be a stalement with no development because prices will be too inflated, up until the arena is announced as being at another site, and then I think some nice piecemeal development will occur along there.

Dds

Post Number: 489
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

No, Dds, but it's still a business on Cass.

True, but if you actually ventured down Cass instead of Googled businesses on Cass, you would have known the Christian Science Reading Room is no longer open.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4252
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As of when?

Sad to hear. I never frequented it and did not hear about its demise.

Cass is not a regular stop for me lately as I'm not a Wayne student anymore.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.