Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Factory that used to exist next to Fort Wayne. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

0_x_0
Username: 0_x_0

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was abandoned from early '80's till it became a haz-mat site and it was leveled in the mid 90's
From what I Know it made nickel slugs for the Govt. .. does anyone know the name of this plant.
Thanks, Michael

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 269
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to go to Wayne Scrap down by Fort Wayne and the fellows there used to talk about a place called Revere Copper. Not sure about where the place was located. Welcome to the forum.

0_x_0

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks - where was Revere Scrap?
Was it the yard across from the above mentioned factory?
-Michael

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 183
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Revere Copper and Brass is correct, My friends Mom worked there during the Vietnam war era and made plenty of .50 cal. brass and other munitions related brass items.

0_x_0

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks much .. wondered about this one for a while..
was quite a creepy place with all the scrappers and car strippers (They could just drive them in and had the large bldg. to work in) ... but it was so large if you wandered right you'd never bump into any of them.

as I said in another post have many photos of this and other areas ...
will post if anyone is interested...

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 446
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Post 'em! I work at Fort Wayne all the time and it would be interesting to see what you have!

0_x_0

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will happen ...
I usually use flicker...
any other system recommended..

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3524
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It used to be Michigan Copper & Brass. I don't know the history; either the plant or the company was acquired by Revere Copper & Brass sometime around WWII.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 610
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anaconda Brass?

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 517
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 3:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

0_x_0, I use flickr and I love it. Would you mind sharing your username? I would love to see your collection of photos from Ft. Wayne and Chene-Jefferson area (from the other thread). Welcome to the forum.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/g sgeorge/

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 518
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PS - For the record, flickr has been for me the fastest and easiest to use (in terms of interface) than the other photo sharing sites out there like Photobucket and Picasa.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1954
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aerial - Fort Wayne

wsu/vmc

This is an enlargement of an old aerial photo, so the quality isn't too good. I think the building to the east of FW is the one you're talking about?

0_x_0

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah that's it.
thanks!

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3528
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A follow-up to my previous post:
quote:

Six companies - Rome Brass & Copper Company, Michigan Copper & Brass Company, Baltimore Copper Rolling Mill, Dallas Brass & Copper Co., Taunton-New Bedford Copper Company, and Higgins Brass & Manufacturing Company were merged and incorporated as the General Brass Corporation on December 1, 1928. The merger produced the second largest fabricator of copper & brass products in the U.S. with 25% of the country's rolling mill capacity. Four days later, the name was changed to Republic Brass Corporation .

November 12th, 1929: Out of respect to the founder of the American copper industry the name of the company was changed again, this time to Revere Copper and Brass Incorporated.

From History of Revere Copper and Brass

0_x_0

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 2:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is some info on the factory I just received.

From The Center for Disease Control- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health Website;

FACILITY NAME: Revere Copper and Brass
Detroit, Michigan

TIME PERIOD: 1946-1950

FACILITY DESCRIPTION:
DOE ES&H Website:

Between 1943 and 1946, Revere Copper and Brass extruded uranium rods in its Detroit plant.
During the late 1940s and early 1950s Revere rolled or extruded uranium rods.
Revere also extruded beryllium ingots and billets into rods at its Detroit plant between 1946
and 1950. Revere had a contract with the AEC for beryllium work, but not with the MED.
Revere also worked with beryllium alloys. Some of the beryllium work was done on parts or
components for the Materials Testing reactor.

DISCUSSION:
A DOE FUSRAP elimination report was completed in 1990 which indicated the facility was
eliminated from FUSRAP actions based on 1981 preliminary survey results and the fact the
facility closed in 1984 and was demolished sometime prior to 1989. There is also a document
that indicates the beryllium contract work extended into 1951. There is no documentation
about any decontamination work in 1950/1951, after the beryllium contracts ended, nor after
1954 when the AWE work ended. Also, there is no indication that the AEC work was
conducted in separate areas of the facility.
The documentation reviewed indicates that no record of beryllium decontamination could be
found. It is reasonable to conclude that the beryllium hazard was removed upon demolition of
the facility in 1984.

INFORMATIONAL SOURCES:
Sources of information reviewed during this evaluation, as shown above, included the DOE
ES&H Website, along with documentation provided by the DOE ES&H group consisting of
written communications by or for the DOE.

EVALUATION FINDINGS:
Documentation reviewed indicates there is a potential for significant residual beryllium
contamination outside the period in which beryllium metal was processed, produced, or
provided to DOE.

PERIOD OF POTENTIAL RESIDUAL CONTAMINATION:
1951-1989

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.