Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Car/House Breakins « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Talleman1
Username: Talleman1

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where do these happen most around the city? How often has it happened to you?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1235
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Overall, it's been Midtown. In the most recent years though, that has been toning down very slowly.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had my car broken into once in Detroit (Cass Corridor) and three times in Hamtramck. Never stolen. Never a house break in for me, personally, but I've heard of it happening around the 4th St. area near WSU.

Funaho
Username: Funaho

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the past two or three years in my area (SW Detroit, near Clark Park) we haven't had many car break-ins but we've had spurts of car vandalism...they'll break out the driver's side window(s) but not touch anything in the car. Three years ago around Thanksgiving in fact they hit my car twice in one week, costing me $350 in window replacement. They hit a few cars this year around the same time too, though not mine this time.

House break-ins have not been an issue for me, at least not on my side of the street. Those activities seemed to go away 10-15 years ago when the city closed the alley behind us and gave the land to the homeowners. The other side of the street however has garages opening on their alley so they can't close it, and I've heard they get the occasional break-ins.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 84
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last year there was a rash of break-ins around my area near 8 Mile and Lahser.

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 197
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just moved from the Whittier/Harper area and there has been a great deal of both home and car break ins. In fact the impetus in our purchasing another home was my home being broken into.Moreover, I had my car stolen twice, and my wife had her wheels stolen right in the driveway. The neighbor next to my cousin, 4 blocks from our old home, had his wife's car wheels almost stolen. The people who were stealing the wheels heard him coming and shot into the home, he retaliated hitting one of them three times.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 637
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would be curious to know how many b/e's are related to individual drug habits. Why not just make it easier for addicts to obtain methadone, or simply supply their heroin? Why are there a higher number of breakins in the midtown district? The presumption that the students and faculty residing in that area have more in the way of wealth in material goods?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get less expensive wheels and donate the extra money to community rec centers.

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 98
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've only been broken into once and one of the prostitutes that hangs out at the end of the street told my husband "I know who broke into your house." Tells me the crack whore and the crack head are in cahoots...But interestingly there are very few break ins and vandalism...not saying that there are never problems, but people secure their stuff pretty well and there aren't exactly a lot of people with plasma screens and cars with fancy rims on my street..maybe we're just bad pickins...heck, it cost more to replace my window than to replace what they stole out of my house.

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every now and then around where I live (St. Aubin & Hyde Par)..I know last year somebody broke into a car and took someones laptop and recently this weekend someone broke my neighbors side window. Luckily he had an alarm

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1239
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Now, what dummy would leave a laptop in the car? lol.

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 206
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NorthEast Detroit - 94/Moross area. I have had my house broken into in March '07, Car stolen from driveway December '05 and another broken car window an attempted car theft Sept '07. Neighbors have had 2 cars stolen in past six months.

Dave70
Username: Dave70

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother-in-law is a Detroit police officer and he says the 94/moross area really has become a hot spot for car theft and home invasions.

God I hate to hear that since I grew up there. :-(

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4229
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One home breakin, one garage breakin, and two break-ins/attempted scrappings of for-sale houses on my parent's block off of Mack in Grosse Pointe recently (last 4 years or so).

It seems to me that car theft used to be a much larger problem in the S/W GP neighborhoods...I think it has dissipated a lot. The crime stats on the whole are incredibly low and it's bogus when people leave there because "it's too close to Detroit."

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 199
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The wheels were stock. I'll donate to who I choose, Schmuck.

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 428
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had two breakins since I moved to Detroit. The first happened in Jan 2004 at my house on the Westside(Schoolcraft and Mansfield). The second happened March of 06 at my house on the Eastside(EEV).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.