Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Grosse Pointe Shores May Trade Village Life for City Life « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 152
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 3:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20071229/M ETRO/712290340

GROSSE POINTE SHORES -- After 96 years as a village, leaders of this affluent Lake St. Clair shoreline community are urging residents to become a city and avoid what they claim is a threatened state-mandated takeover by Wayne and Macomb county authorities.

Officials in the state's third-richest community say if it became a city it would help efficiency since the village of about 3,000 residents is composed of two townships, straddles two counties and is governed by three separately elected government boards. But critics accuse village officials of using scare tactics to sell the message, since legislative prospects to allow a county takeover are dubious at best.

Residents received letters this week from Village President James Cooper advocating a May election. He said few would notice the changes in the quiet community that is a traditional home to sports stars and many Ford Motor Co. heirs.

"Tradition is important, but not more important than efficiency," Cooper said.

The two-page letter alluded to legislation in Lansing to eliminate duplication in government by abolishing most of the state's 1,242 townships and having counties take over their functions.

Status of bill questioned
The bill was introduced in May, has gone nowhere and is all but dead, said Bill Ballenger, a former Republican state lawmaker who edits "Inside Michigan Politics" newsletter.

"There may be good reasons for Grosse Pointe Shores to become a city, but the specter of the evil ogre of Wayne County taking over isn't one of them," Ballenger said.

Wayne County Commissioner Bernard Parker, D-Detroit, said the county has no desire to assume operations of Grosse Pointe Shores. All but 80 residents in the community with a $140,000 median household income live in the Wayne County portion of the village.

"I know there's tension there. It would not surprise me that they don't want to be associated with Wayne County because there is a perception that the county is Detroit," Parker said. "It has been used before, the scare tactic that takes advantage of that tension between the city and the suburbs."

Despite inaction on the bill, Cooper said the village's advisers have predicted consolidation involving at least the smallest operations -- like his village -- is bound to happen in a state that is struggling financially.

Village officials discussed the change for years, but the legislation was the final straw, Cooper said.

"I'd rather we got ahead of anything like that and controlled our own destiny," said Cooper. "It only makes sense."

Resident OK with move
Norman Ahee has lived in Grosse Pointe Shores for 34 years and doesn't care if it's called a village or a city, so long as it isn't run by Wayne County. He said the move could streamline operations and save money.

In other communities, votes to become cities have failed because cities in Michigan are allowed to raise an income tax. Village officials said that's not a motivation and Ahee said he's not worried about the prospect.

"I have neighbors who have moved out, up into Macomb County, just because they don't like the way Wayne County does business," Ahee said. "I'm not worried one bit about an income tax because the village is getting plenty from their property taxes. The government here isn't hurting for funds."

Village Council members are expected to discuss the proposal and set an election date Jan. 16.

The May ballot also would include the election of nine residents to serve on the new city's charter commission. Village Manager Michael Kenyon said that because boundaries don't need to be changed, he hopes the governor's office will be able to approve the new city charter in time to allow a final vote by residents on city status to be included on the November presidential general election ballot.

The Shores would be the last of the Grosse Pointes to become a city. All five were transformed at the opening of the 20th century from farmland and summer cottages to mansions and estates of the booming auto industry's rich and famous.

Eventually, most of the estates were subdivided.

There were some perks to being a village almost 100 years ago, like a property tax break from local school districts, but most of those advantages no longer exist. Kenyon said the school tax break was eliminated about 50 years ago.

Because villages can't assess property values, collect property taxes or hold national elections, vestiges of Lake and Grosse Pointe townships that once governed the community before the creation of St. Clair Shores and the four other Grosse Pointe cities have continued to operate inside and in cooperation with the village.

That's 17 elected officials and volunteer clerks -- or about one for every 175 residents.

"It's confusing, but we've been able to make it run so smoothly that nobody really notices," Kenyon said.

"We are a community founded for the purpose of delivering outstanding public services. Eliminating some of the layers by becoming a city would result in cost savings, and we will still plow the roads and pick up the trash better than most."

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4225
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah they did a nice job of painting a city v. suburb tension, which only exists according to one stupid resident's point of view (and probably a few other stupid residents).

So they want to become a city, big deal.

And if they ever wanted to become part of Maycomb County (not that this has anything to do with it), then good riddance.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5858
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hire The Rock, he'll sort out this mess.

jjaba.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 320
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The arguments for it do seem a bit overstated although there's a good point that an area that small shouldn't require 3 separate layers of local government (2 townships and 1 village). If they did become a city, that would mean the end of two townships, Lake and Grosse Pointe and the total number of townships in the state would go down by 2. The last time that I can recall that Townships actually disappeared were with the incorporations of Rochester Hills (Avon Township) and Auburn Hills and Lake Angelus (Pontiac Township).

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2061
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rock's former law partner was a former Mayor of the Shores as was his father before him. I will leave it to my ex partner to separate the wheat from the shaff.
Novine presents logical argument for the change, although the fear factor will be played up by the press (and others).
Things do operate a little differently in the Shores. Kinda reminds me of Monaco.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 283
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Detroit should annex it!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6009
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No I like Mackinaw's idea better... let SCS annex it! :-)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but some items will always have a Wayne/Macomb County split... such as probate. After all there are some matters only handled at the county level.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1233
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Detroit needs the extra tax revenue from wealthy residents more than ever. Let the D annex it. It can be something like Palmer Park or Hamtramack.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5859
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock, gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em, eh. Good response.

jjaba suggests East Pointe, Michigan annex 'em. They're already a Pointe and know how to get there since they all clean the houses over there.

Combining anything Grosse Pointe with anything more modest, raises all ships.

jjaba.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2484
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Shores should be annexed by Walpole Island. Aint that far away.

Ray1936, devout west-sider.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5862
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't that where The Rock ties up The Winsome for his lunch? How would jjaba know?

jjaba, Proudly Westside old newsboy.

Gistok

Post Number: 6013
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately Ray... Walpole Island is part of Canada, and is a First Nations (Indian) reservation.

I think that SCS getting GPS would be better... would add another 2 miles of waterfront (making 8 miles in total) to the SCS waterfront!!

(Before any nitpickers say that GPS doesn't have 2 miles of waterfront... remember that the Edsel & Eleanor Ford estate alone (with Ford's cove) has 3,100 feet of water frontage... per Ford House literature.)

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1367
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"jjaba suggests East Pointe, Michigan annex 'em. They're already a Pointe and know how to get there since they all clean the houses over there."

From a "Yeshiva Bukkor" (I'm assuming you mean the common transliteration Yeshiva Bucher).

So, you're living in the past as a student riding the Dexter Bus... or you're being a jerk. Which is it?

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1621
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harper Woods thought about changing their name to "Grosse Pointe Heights." Let them annex GP Shores.

Gistok

Post Number: 6015
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East_detroit... I can't believe that you have over 1300 posts, and need to call Jjaba out on that? Do you ever read any of his posts on other threads?

He often ends his posts with a reference to his Jewish background, and/or the bus he took to Cass Tech as a student. How's that being a jerk?

East_detroit

Post Number: 1369
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By constantly insulting the Eastside, while at the same time claiming to be a student of the Torah.

So, he is either living in the past as a young kid spouting trashtalk or he is just an old dude being a jerk.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4233
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He/she isn't a newbie either. They know about Jjaba.

Perhaps the Eastpointe comment hit home?

We all know it's a joke...just like this entire flap about Macomb/Wayne tension in terms of GP Shores.

Gistok

Post Number: 6016
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey East_detroit, I understand your sensitivity. But Jjaba and I have both been posting here since at least 2000. We've been "teasingly" bashing each others side of town for as long as I can remember. Jjaba's poo-pooing the Eastside is all in good fun.

There's several threads related to the Eastside/Westside rivalry, always in good fun, and rarely taken seriously.

I always tease Jjaba that westsiders, who are used to the street grid plan... when they come over to the eastside... they come across streets that are not at 90% angles to each other... they become disoriented... and go screaming back to the westside... :-)

And Jjaba's posts about the eastside have always been in jest.

Otherwise eastsider The_rock would not be associating with Jjaba! :-)

Gistok

Post Number: 6017
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and if Jjaba gets under your skin... watch out for Mackinaw! :-)

He thinks everything north of 8 Mile Rd. is a cultural and architectural wasteland.... ah youth is wasted on the young... LOL :-)

Jjaba

Post Number: 5865
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, give jjaba your email address for being a 6X centurian poster. There's a reward for such quality.

Gistok tells it like it tis about the Eastside.
All's jjaba knows is that if you are going to the Eastside of Detroit, pack a lunch. It's a long ways over there and getting lost is downright scary. Bring lots of water too.

For legal disputes involving jjaba, you are referred to The Rock, of counsel.
Call him at 1-800-WINSOME on his yacht.

jjaba.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Bring lots of water too."

There's no need. Just bring a canteen and fill 'er up at the lake!

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 468
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think all of the Grosse Pointes should merge together. :-)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2492
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think four counties should merge together and just make one huge, overpowering city.

Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, and Essex.

The_rock

Post Number: 2063
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will vouch for jjaba--a cuddily bear at heart, not a mean bone in his body, a rather knowledgeable chap at that, and he would probably run for mayor of Eastpointe if he knew where it was and how to get over to this side of town.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1246
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I will vouch for jjaba--a cuddily bear at heart, not a mean bone in his body, a rather knowledgeable chap at that, and he would probably run for mayor of Eastpointe if he knew where it was and how to get over to this side of town."

Simple, just take 8 Mile East. You can't miss it. Once you see the only Dunkin Donuts and Baskin Robbins within Detroit city limits, 2 gas stations and a White Castle, you turn left.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5870
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Rock, regular fees.
jjaba.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, as a proud Eastsider and many time chastised poster (oft by my own provocation sadly), I was rather surprised by that reaction by my Eastside neighbor. I say keep up the Eastside -Westside pride and jabbing...it is good.

There are plenty of Westside "challenges" to be addressed that I am sure Gistok or Mackinaw will continue to call-out eloquently.

In the meantime remember, when you are not underway on The Rock's vessel, it is a lonely and quiet time on those Westside summer nights when the freighters' voices cannot be heard.

Cheers.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1370
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone in Eastpointe is a maid in Grosse Pointe.

Yeah, thats quite eloquent. I'll have to shed a holiday tear.

When was Jjaba last in East or West Detroit to make such "hilarious" and "cuddly" accusations?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4408
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with Ray1936 - The great international city-state of Detroit-Windsor.

I suppose that along with the passing of the village charm will pass ye olde bus stop.

Grosse Pointe Bus Stop

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4239
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I hate generalizations, too. That's come out on this forum. But something like this is not meant to be taken seriously.

Gistok

Post Number: 6020
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, nice pic of the last remaining bus shelter on Lakeshore Dr., this one at Lakeshore and Oxford in Grosse Pointe Shores.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 469
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, that's just the bus stop's gatehouse. The actual bus stop is further back.

The_rock

Post Number: 2066
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 6:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to take the Lakeshore bus to the Guardian Building from that bus/gate house. Ralph Wilson of Buffalo Bills fame,who lived on Oxford,even hopped it a few times.
You show me something like this classic structure for your ( beloved) Dexter bus line ,jjaba, and I will waive the next fee. You gotta come to the EAST SIDE for this kind of class.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great picture. This bus stop is also where we start our Jefferson bike rides. From there North to Metro Beach and back. Once the Metro Beach to Stony Creek trail is done, it will be an incredible ride.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5873
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba is very impressed with that bus stop. If that architecture is anything like the rest of the town, sign jjaba up. Ain't nuthin' quite like it on Dexter Blvd, even when Grunt's pickle barrels hosted mothers pushing baby buggies in the 1940s.
jjaba.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5874
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, when's the last time The Rock waived a fee?
Great to turn over new leaf for 2008. Happy New Year's The Rock and rest of the Eastside, Woods, Village, and Shores.
jjaba.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jasoncw,

Thanks for the laugh. So true out there. :-) Having lived on both sides, love 'em both.

Gistok

Post Number: 6022
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_rock, didn't Ralph Wilson move (many years ago) to a lakefront home right next to the Grosse Pointe Yacht Club?

The_rock

Post Number: 2068
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may still be behind the times, but I think that Ralph and Ms. Ralph divorced. She remained in the house on Oxford and he went to the Lake. She may have moved now herself.
I recall many years back that a motorist rammed into the shelter and really busted it up bigtime, but it was rebuilt and is somewhat a landmark today.
And we on the Eastside send New Years wishes to our friends on the Westside.
Now had I said that we send good wishes to our "little brothers" on the Westside, I would have started another incident. I guess one Mike Hart comment per year is enough.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.