Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » "Sharms" re: Chuck Hughes « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thebadguy
Username: Thebadguy

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharms ...

Back on December 8, you left the following message in a thread I'd started about a book project I'm working on regarding Chuck Hughes.

***I was at the game sitting in the third deck in what would be right field for baseball. As I recall it was very close to the end of the game when Hughes went down. My impression, at the time, was the Butkus' immediate thought was that Hughes was trying to get a time out by feigning injury. He was standing over Hughes and then started frantically signaling the Detroit bench that Hughes needed help.

As I recall, and my impressions might not be totally accurate, the trainers and others were around Hughes and a person, I assume a doctor, came running from the dugout area across the field. They worked on Hughes for a number of minutes and then put him on a stretcher.

The stadium was hushed and eerie as he was taken off the field. There was a moment when his arm fell to the side and you could hear a gasp from the crowd.

The players went through the motions to end the game and, at one point, you could hear the siren from the ambulance in the distance.

A bad day.***

If you could please drop me a line at JeffHaag@mcleodusa.net, I would appreciate it.

Several other folks who were in Tiger Stadium that day have already contacted me. Before I close this particular chapter of the book - a collection of stories of those who were in the stands - I would really like to include yours.

Thanks in advance ...

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1356
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't at the Lions game that day, but I was listening to it on the radio and I can still remember exactly where I was and what I was doing that afternoon while I was listening to the description of the unfolding events.

Thebadguy
Username: Thebadguy

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike: were you listening to the WJR broadcast, with Van Patrick and Bob Reynolds?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1357
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I was listening to the game on my transistor radio while I was digging up the clogged sewer line in the suburban Detroit backyard of my future in-laws. I could immediately tell from their voices that this was not a typical injury situation and I stopped what I was doing so I could listen more closely.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.