Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » WNIC Christmas music « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone explain to me why WNIC has to play Christmas music the day after Halloween, but on the day after Christmas they play their regular stuff? The Christmas season starts on Christmas! I want to hear Christmas music now, not on November 8th. And they say that Christmas has lost all meaning!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6768
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Technically it's AFTER Christmas already... so why not back to their regular programming?

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 424
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, technically, Christmas is 12 days long.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Can someone explain to me why WNIC has to play Christmas music the day after Halloween, but on the day after Christmas they play their regular stuff? The Christmas season starts on Christmas! I want to hear Christmas music now, not on November 8th. And they say that Christmas has lost all meaning!"

Yeah, hopefully they will start with their Flashback weekends this Saturday. That's the only thing I loved on WNIC (mainly on Sunday because I listen to Old Skool Saturdays on WGPR Saturdays). They should have added variety to it like the Urban Contemp. stations did.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on December 27, 2007)

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to all the stores it is because everyone is done buying a bunch of crap that will be in the trash by March. Technically it is not, the Christmas season is now.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1620
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ONe would have to assume it is a business decision. Start playing Christmas music after Halloween. The stores start selling Christmas stuff after Halloween. Stores play WNIC is their store for Christmas music and you have ratings.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 184
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe WNIC should start play ing Christmas music the week before Thanksgiving (which is when most mall Santas show up) and then play it through December. I mean, at this point, whats one more week?

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

....in the Roman Catholic tradition Christmas is 20 days long....

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 446
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't listen to WNIC. They are the devil.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 2:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i heard enuff christmas music last friday, after 4hours they started playing the same songs again. i said to myself "and it was just halloween when this stuff came on" 4 more days later they were playing the same songs every 4 hours

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 324
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Adult Contemporary is pretty much dead. Everyone I know who listens to Wnic or Magic complained about hearing the same songs everyday.
Back in the late-80's, I was only in elementary school but I actively listened to the radio. We had WLTI (93.1) and 92.3-92 Music in addition to Wnic. The playlists were vast and the stations were great to listen to. Its not like that anymore. Then again, times have changed. Few people want to hear Olivia Newton-john or Seals and Crofts nowadays. So now we get repetition. I'm glad I was able to hear the golden days of AC radio while I had the chance.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want to hear Christmas music, log on to www.pandora.com and click on genre stations. It doesn't cost a thing. All you have to do is create an account. I listen all day long.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1810
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They really need to expand their play list of X -mas music. I too got tired of the four hour rotation of the same music.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1955
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Christmas is over, WNIC is back to secretary rock format.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great. Can't wait until Sunday!

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1708
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um, because they can't goad you into buying more stuff, so they stop buying X-mas ads, and Christmas is no longer profitable.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 940
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't stand it! The same tinny, cheap songs, hour after hour, everywhere I go. Even the pet food store. Every year my dread goes. That station is a plague.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1711
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ding
Dong
Ding
Dong
Ding
Dong

*sigh*

(not feeling the holly, or the jolly, anymore)

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6770
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I truly miss is what WDET (yeah let's beat that dead horse issue again) played during Christmas. They play some of the more obscure holiday tracks by some famous and not so famous artists, as opposed to the same old drudgery you hear on WNIC hour after hour. I miss the days when Detroit radio was a little daring, would play stuff you couldn't hear anywhere else, and was even educational to my musical palette.

Wanderinglady
Username: Wanderinglady

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Smogboy, I remember when Detroit radio was a little daring, too. The Electrifyin' Mojo's idea of a Christmas song would have been Prince's "Another Lonely Christmas".

I don't know about WNIC, but the local all-Christmas station here in L.A. (which started playing Christmas songs around NOVEMBER 8TH, if I recall correctly) did not play any Motown Christmas songs, except for Stevie Wonder's "Someday at Christmas". And the only reason why I can possibly think this was played is because it's an anti-war song. This meant I had to hope that an oldies or an R-n-B station would play one. I have a CD of Christmas songs (with a few Motown songs), but it just wasn't the same. I had to resort to listening to the Temptations' version of "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" on YouTube. Bah, Humbug!

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 667
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YES! back to FLASH BACK WEEKENDS... sweet. i love that stuff!

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 161
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little Steven,s underground garage played some good christmas toons, sunday on csx. too bad i had to hear it in and outta the buick.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 285
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have a link on their web page where you may listen to Christmas music ad nauseum.

http://wnic.com/cc-common/hdra dio/

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.