Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Sale of commercial building in Birmingham sets record « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3161
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Birmingham sale may be record
$38.2M price equals $378 per square foot

A downtown Birmingham building developed by Burton-Katzman Development Co. has been sold for $38.2 million, a price real estate professionals have tagged as a record-setting sale based on price per square foot.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071224/SUB/712240315/legal/-/-/birmingham-sale-may-be-record

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 730
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's great that the record is set by a nicely-designed, zero-lot-line, urban building with proper first-floor retail. A building that anyone would be proud to have in their community.

A good lesson for the idiot-developers of the region. Build something right and they will come.

I can almost imagine a streetcar passing by the front of it...!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4218
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well said, Futurecity.

Burton-Katzman came up with a killer plan for a 5-story building to be built on a parking lot on St. Clair Ave. above Kercheval in Grosse Pointe. I believe their plan lost out to another good (but not as ideal) plan for a 4-story neo-Tudor building that will be built there.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1553
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imagine that, our great-grandfathers might have been on to something.

My corner, built 100 years ago (courtesy of Google Street View).

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4152
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Known recently for gaining Google as one of its tenants, the 101,000-square-foot building at 325 N. Old Woodward sold for $378 per square foot.

Why is Google there instead of A2 and what does Google do there?

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 661
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what corner is that?

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1554
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apbest, that's Lincoln and Sunnyside in Chicago.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4342
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why is Google there instead of A2 and what does Google do there?"

Weren't they opening a cyber-cafe there on the ground floor? I believe they had moved to Bham from the Southfield Town Center.

Thejesus

Post Number: 3163
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's strange to think that this little 3 story building in downtown Birmingham sold for more than twice what the Guardian Building sold for even though the Guardian is over 7 times larger

Guardian Building
-750,000 sq/ft
-$14,500,000

325 N. Old Woodward
-101,000 sq/ft
-$38,200,000

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Location Location Location.

Thejesus

Post Number: 3164
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Yep. It just really puts into perspective how bad the commercial RE market is in downtown Detroit.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 334
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't that the old "Gap" building on the corner of Maple and Old Woodward? Birmingham is soooo bourgeois, new money. Boring. Let them spend all of that mockey, new money on an old building. Serves them right.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 522
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building is on the corner of Willits and old woodward, where the Jacobson's Menswear store was located.

I believe they did a three wall teardown of the building therefore actually qualifing as a re-hab and not new construction.

Dear Lady, for one who has it all together, you seem rather bitter over the good fortune of those folks. Unless you are so 'old money' that you feel no one should compete with your elevated social status; I'd think you'd salute them for their vision in making a success out of what had been a retail failure.

BTW the "gap" building is a Cosi.

Thejesus

Post Number: 3166
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Re: the old money/new money distinction, I've never understood people like Ladyinabag who seem to think more favorably of people who are born into wealth than of people who worked to acquire it...I guess "old money" just doesn't impress me much

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 289
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TheJesus, there's nothing to understand about that kind of attitude. It's simply sheer stupidity.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1555
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duh, people that inherit money are more worthy of praise than those that work for theirs.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.