Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Fire in the City « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't have much details, but I saw a HUGE fire going on in the city today at around 3 pm. I think it was like at 4th and Charlotte, right by the on ramp to the lodge. It was pretty cool....that is assuming that it wasnt a functional building going up in flames. The plume of smoke was insane. Anyone have any info?

Joeyp1982
Username: Joeyp1982

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was an old abandoned apartment building....The place was in a blaze of glory...I counted 12 fire trucks on the service drive...It should be on the news I saw Channel 4 there

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 254
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the fire was at the old detroit hosing project on mlk b/w third and the lodge. the buildings are vacant so hopefully no one was hurt.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1327
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ANOTHER fire at the old MLK projects... that's got to be like number 55 since the spring

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 126
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there goes another project fire.
like clockwork.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 427
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've noticed work crews going into those projects on my way to work in the morning over the past few weeks. They were in there this morning. I wonder if they left one of the fence gates open today and some vagrants slipped in.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We drove by just as this was starting, before most of the trucks got there, the back gate was open (in anticipation of the fire trucks?) and saw several homeless looking types coming and going (maybe they were just gamblers from MCC though) freely.

Also, there were several engineer-type men in hardhats and business casual walking around very close to the raging fire.

One truck, hooked up to a hydrant that was shooting most of its water down the sidewalk, it's hose relieving more of the pressure out another hole shooting straight up--at least three-quarters of the water was lost before reaching the end of the hose!

Noticed that the sites of previous fires have been totally cleared very quickly, right down to the basement. I suppose a careless fire (or twenty) might be a faster demolition than waiting for the city.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1328
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every week they replace the fences which are stolen to keep people out. It's such a waste of money, I wonder who is paying for these fences. Does anyone know the anticipated date in which the development will be completely razed?

Monahan568

Post Number: 255
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ah ya we are paying for these fences

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1329
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 4:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ that blows. EVERY single piece of "stealable" metal has been taken from that project- and it happened really quick- like less than a week after the last tenants moved out.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 430
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^when did the residents leave? When did they kick everyone out, and why?

Monahan568

Post Number: 256
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the residents left about a year ago. now why all depends on who you ask. this project was for low income residence and i feel that if you don't make residence work/earn their homes they don't give a shit about it and do nothing to take care of their homes and eventually you have to give them a new place to live.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 150
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I talked to a salesman at Woodrbidge Estates in August who told me that they are going to develop the site as soon as the city clears it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.