Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Sumpn' Fishy--Tanker Trouble on Long Lake in Bloomfield? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11180
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This story just in on the WDIV website...Tanker overturns on Long Lake between Woodward and Lahser.

I don't like this one bit. I've driven that road for years, and have never, ever seen a gasoline tanker on that street...it is residential, and directly next to the Bloomfield Hills Country Club.

Too weird...anyone got any more information on this?!

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 288
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work at Organic at Square Lake and Telegraph (until tomorrow. i've been laid off). Here's the note we received at work here:

Long Lake between Lahser and Woodward is completely closed & all surrounding businesses are being shut down due to a tanker spill carrying Methanol

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 676
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully they are able to contain this spill quickly. Methanol mixes with water and cleanup could be very difficult.

Gannon

Post Number: 11184
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So it's INDUSTRIAL?! That makes it even MORE weird.

Only reason I thought any tanker would have to cut through there would be between same-brand gas stations, and I think on the NE corner of both Woodward and Telegraph it is the same brand...if not owner.

Methanol...sometimes an additive to gasoline, but thought it was mixed at the distillery. Dunno what would be using Methanol in that neighborhood, unless the Country Club was getting into some serious methamphetamine manufacturing in the off season!

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 231
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I searched websites for ch 2, 4, 7, wjr, and wwj. no aerial photos. what gives?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The linked article to by the OP (above) has just been updated with a photo. The spill has been classified as "minor".

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 604
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Space - sounds like you have a cloud chasing you (BBDO, now Organic?). I've got nothing concrete for you, but there's been a lot of noise at Team Detroit. Also - Digitas.

Good luck.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Square lake is an arterial roadway. It is not a local street. I don't have a truck route map handy, but I would be surprised if it wasn't a truck route.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 363
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Long Lake is the accident site.

From the video I saw, it was just slightly W. of Woodward where he rolled. Reports say the driver had a "medical emergency" and was taken to Beaumont (seizure, heart attack, whatever).

My guess is he turned off Woodward onto Long Lk. to avoid creating more havoc before he "lost it".

Gannon

Post Number: 11188
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 6:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, turn into a residential area with a hazardous load...but I guess his judgement had to have been impaired while enduring his attack.

He probably turned down it by mistake, thinking it WAS Square Lake, and when the road made that bend he was surprised by it.

I wish him the best, glad it turned out as well as it did. He's looking at some tough times, though, while and when he heals.

Still wanting to know how many people get Methanol deliveries and for what purposes! It sounds like a decent indoor combustible, byproducts are CO2 and H2O instead of CO which is WAY more dangerous to life, right?!

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 290
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the good luck wishes.

I was laid off from another agency in between BBDO and Organic too. Maybe I'm just a lousy employee? :-\

I have interviews set with Digitas and Team Detroit for next week. But am thinking on just freelancing for a year instead. Plenty of freelance work out there right now.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 605
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Space - freelance is tough, or so my freelance pals say. If you get no warm & fuzzies from TD or Digitas you might throw a resume to Aquent. Contract work is usually a living death but this house has been able to place talent that I felt was beyond hope.

Between you, me & the lamp post: this is just a tough town these days. A lot of good talent has been sacrificed on the altar of across-the-board-cuts, so I would not necessarily take these hits personally.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.