Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit falls below U.S. average on solving cases « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"More killers go uncaught"
The Detroit Police has a 1 to 3 homicide suspect arrest record.(Arresting a suspect in a homicide.)
Also the department has a 1-in-3 ratio for clearing homicides.(Charging a suspect with a homicide.)
More Info in the Fress Press,
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071227/NEW S05/712270335
What do you guys think can be done to improve the ratios?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3151
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What do you guys think can be done to improve the ratios?"

Detroiters could stop killing each other at one of the highest rates in the nation for starters.

Fewer murders would result in fewer crimes going unsolved.

Not only would this solution bring with it tremendous benefits, but it comes at a very low cost.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 258
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What do you guys think can be done to improve the ratios?"

Well for openers more people could come forward, speak with the police, and divulge the information that they have about the case.

I believe the police have stated this on more than one occasion.

It's around 1 in 4 cases in New Orleans.

Thejesus

Post Number: 3153
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Well for openers more people could come forward, speak with the police, and divulge the information that they have about the case."

But then these people wouldn't be able to take part in the "Stop Snitchin'" campaign, which brings Detroiters so many wonderful benefits!

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 520
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Murder cases stay open until solved, so by definition, no murder case is ever unsolved. It may be unsolved within a time-period set by a newspaper reporter or editor, but to a police officer, a murder is never unsolved.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 262
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That’s true, however these cases (investigations) do not stay active, after a period of time the case itself becomes dead and goes cold.

Some cities have cold case squads (I don’t know if Detroit does?) that have gone back and have solved some of these cold cases.

If there is no new evidence, and or, no one is willing to come forward and speak with the police, there are other cases that take their attention.

Thejesus

Post Number: 3154
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Murder cases stay open until solved, so by definition, no murder case is ever unsolved. It may be unsolved within a time-period set by a newspaper reporter or editor, but to a police officer, a murder is never unsolved."

Or, more importantly, within the time-frame set by residents of a city who suffer when an incompetent police force doesn't solve crimes in a timely fashion.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 521
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's always a big help when folks wear "don't snitch" t-shirts and ball caps while bemoaning the death of a neighbor, a brother, a friend.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The drug trade with its crime is a major economic driver in the city of Detroit. The drug culture makes it difficult to solve crimes in the city. It is different when you have crimes based on domestic disputes. Drugs and its don't snitch culture can make a police department use dubious means to solve cases.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 475
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is not a pro-police culture in the neighborhoods of Detroit, whereas in lots of other areas, police are in general supported and encouraged. As one of my friends' dad would always say about his job, "It's hard to solve a case when no one will tell you anything, and no one around the scene or saw the crime would admit to seeing anything."

This gets to the most major problem Detroit faces. When you talk to people about today's Detroit, the objection is crime.

Not only do people feel like something is way more likely to happen there -but they also feel like if something does happen, the perception is that it'll be hours before the police show up. Compare that to pretty much everywhere else in this region, and cops arrive in 15 minutes or less.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2672
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not buying the "Detroit's crime is high because people won't talk" argument. I've reported too many crimes to DPD and seen nothing happen as a result.

I called 9-1-1 when a shooting was in progress last summer. I gave the police a description of the shooter, his car and license plate number. I'm still waiting for the police to respond.

I filed a police report after being mugged and was able to point out my assailant in the mug shot books. Nothing has happened since then.

Citizens can serve as the eyes and ears of the police department. Sooner or later, though, eyes and ears need arms and legs to show up.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 625
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus where do you think the Stopsnitchin mentality comes from? Why the anger? Disenfranchisement? Growing up in an antagonistic social environment in which authority figures mistreat and disrespect simply because you reside in a certain neighborhood or home that is out of youre control as a youth who is raised and reared amongst rampant anger and immaturity. Try putting youreself in the other guys position. We suburbanites sit back on our holier than thou high horses without taking into consideration the repercussions for cooperating with law enforcement, who in some cases arent much better than the 'criminals' they are investigating. Snitching on the cops can get you in trouble.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 477
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your point is well taken, Fnemecek. I've reported crimes too and nothing ever happens in the city. In the 'burbs, you get a response. Immediately.

My thought is that if you never get a response, and there could be repercussions for "being a snitch," then the risks outweigh the benefits. Increase response time = more people give you information.

To say that cops aren't much better than the criminals they're investigating just shows the problem, TerryH. I think the reason people don't consider the repercussions is that where we live... there are none. Hell, living in the city, there were no repercussions for me. Lots of apathy though.

That problem, of repercussions, could be why so many folk I know who do well leave the city the first chance they get. Moving to the burbs is a goal, if not a dream, for many african americans I know in the city and out of it. Many african american business associates (eleven, to be exact) I know recently left the city in the last five years and have never been happier for themselves or their family.

Having lived in the city and the burbs, it seems like so many in the city just tolerate that crime happens. Few get outraged - I'd visit friends and they'd say "that's just how it is."

How depressing to not feel like you have any control over your life.

Joeyp1982
Username: Joeyp1982

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The TV show The First 48 is a great show to watch to really understand what these detectives have to go through to find the information they need to solve a case...remember a murderer is a desperate human being and will do anything to avoid jail....these detroit detectives have too many obstacles to overcome to find these killers half the time...and plus by the time they go to a crime scene another one pops up and another homicide pops up and another...you can only do so much

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 631
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit was featured on that show on two different occasions. Both cases were unsolved.

Salvadordelmundo
Username: Salvadordelmundo

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The state underfunds detective and forensic services. Given the lack of cooperation with police, there is little other option than to have science step up and fill in some of the gaps. But the money for that is simply not there.

Username: 7051

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm shocked that New Orleans closure rate is 1 out 4 and ours is 1 out of 3. Who could let this happen?

If our closure rate doesn't drop to at least 1 out of 10, I'm leaving the city. We should never settle for a #2 position like this. Only #1.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 242
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ Now that is how to be sarcastic ^^^

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 522
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A real comforting thing for the families of the murder victims. Justice not to be found.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 94
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it makes anyone feel any better, I just saw a third First 48 from Detroit, and DPD Homicide solved the case. Also, the neighbors fingered the shooter right when the police arrived. He confessed and claimed self defense, which the detective seemed to believe, but was charged with either 1st or 2nd degree murder.

That said, I think the DPD does not come off very well on The First 48. Their facilities are the most outdated of the departments shown, and its officers are usually the most out of shape and least professionally dressed. I have no idea what message wearing a suit sends - it's just an observation - but the numbers don't lie, and the constant reports and anecdotes about a lack of response and follow-up say something about the way the department is run.

Perhaps it's a lack of money, but I would love to know what some of Detroit's Finest think about Bully-Cummings, especially considering the 15% rise in homicides under her four-year tenure, not to mention her steadfast support for the two officers that pulled over Christine Beatty.

(Message edited by dbc on December 31, 2007)

Paulmcall

Post Number: 524
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every time I see her I think of that gal in Police Academy with the high voice. Too bad the citizens aren't laughing.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2810
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's all bs Dbc. The homicide detectives in detroit are no different than in miami or dallas or anywhere else.They are sincere and want to solve cases.

The only significant difference I have seen in the episodes featuring detroit is that the detroit detectives do not suffer fools for the camera.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 538
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah and the citizens don't want to snitch.
Folks just don't care or are too scared to tell what they know.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3385
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An extra $9 million for the PD budget would've been nice, too.

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry you must not watch the show very often, Detroit was frequently on the show and they apprehended a fair share of the criminals they were after. That being said the show is never in Detroit anymore it seems like, so go ahead and draw your own conclusions. lol

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.