Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » In Detroit...In December « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 239
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was listening to NPR this morning and if you know the format of the show, they always start off with a small, kind of off-beat story. The announcer started talking about how the Purdue and Central Michigan football teams were rewarded for their seasons by playing in the Motor City Bowl "...in Detroit....in December"

The pause between "in Detroit" and "in December" is what made the supposed joke seem more like an insult to me. First of all, both teams are from the Midwest, so why should the weather bother them? Second of all, it's indoors. Third of all, Detroit should be a hoot to kids who have to stay in towns like West Lafayette and Mt. Pleasant all winter.

But I know I'm reading too much into this. Please tell me I am.

(Message edited by waz on December 26, 2007)

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 201
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are. I would never want to be anywhere else in December. They are getting a taste of The D in there formative years. We already have. I aint going anywhere. They may like it.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4386
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is one heckova game right now, CMU just came back to score 28 points in the 3rd quarter to knot the game at 41 and the place is going wild.

Go Chips!

Interesting side note that I just noticed... Andre Ware is doing the color commentary. I always wondered what happened to him. He is doing a great job and is very likeable.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4217
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the broadcast showed lots of nice downtown pictures and spoke positively of Detroit.

In the college football world, a bowl like the motor city bowl is low on the pecking order. Of course there are even worse games out there. The point is, you want to be in California or New Orleans or Florida...in January, especially if you're Purdue, a Big Ten team.

I'm sure both teams had some fun while they were in the city.

Wanderinglady
Username: Wanderinglady

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have to remember that NPR is very coast-centric (with its main studio in Washington, DC and a new studio in L.A.). Detroit is pure flyover country, and many folks in the media are purely puzzled as to why anyone would want to live in "the much-maligned middle". DC has fairly mild winters compared to Detroit, as well as a LOT of Detroit expats (I know, because I lived in DC for years). So, I'm not surprised that a writer at NPR took this approach to "December...in Detroit".

Now, don't get me started on that awful term used by the media (a favorite term of the Los Angeles Times, the paper of record in another place full of Detroit expats) -- the "Rust Belt". Ugh!

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 178
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess teams will be really insulted to be in the International Bowl here in Toronto Jan.6 - Rutgers vs. Ball State. Look it up. It exists. (and you thought the Motor City Bowl was down on the pecking order)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2435
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The announcer started talking about how the Purdue and Central Michigan football teams were rewarded for their seasons by playing in the Motor City Bowl "...in Detroit....in December"

The most coveted bowl games aren't played in Detroit... in December.

Daytwa
Username: Daytwa

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, taken in context, they are comparing playing "in Detroit... in December" to playing in Florida or Pasadena... in December.

I love Michigan in the winter, especially with a beautiful coat of snow on the ground... but I wouldn't mind some sunshine and 80 degree temps right now, either...

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 3357
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The main guy in the morning - I cannot remember his name, but he is from Carmel, IN.... Steve Inskeep (Morning Edition).

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 271
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw this tonight on Yahoo's front page.

"Laugh as much as you like at the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl or the Champs Sports Bowl in Orlando, Fla., but at least those meaningless bowls get decent, semi-predictable weather. Even the Motor City Bowl is smart enough to hold the thing indoors before turning people loose to fend for themselves in the wilds of downtown Detroit. (There are enough variables in Detroit without having the weather frighten people, too.)"

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/ news?slug=shreveportthegrandad dyof&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4228
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A pointless, uninformed bash. Part of a larger piece with a bashing overall tone.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.