Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Proof of I.D. to buy cough syrup? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cwl704
Username: Cwl704

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok went to Kroger here in Canton tonight to buy cough syrup for wife.I had to show drivers lic. to cashier in order to buy it.When did this start????

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 514
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that law is for over the counter medicines that can be made into methamphetamine

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1549
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any product that contains pseudoephedrine.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 225
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

was it Tussin?

Locano
Username: Locano

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had to do the same thing a few weeks ago when I bought some Tylenol. I was so confused when he asked for my license! He just explained that he had to make sure I was 18+.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you have to be over 18 to buy Dextromethorphan. that is the chemical ingredient that is responsible for the "anti tussive" effect. the thing about Dextromethorphan is that it is a codeine derivative (codeine is also an anti-tussive) and could have many of the same psychological effects of codeine when taken at high doses.

this new rule became a reality when a few years back many teenagers put the hallucinogenic effects of Dextromethorphan into the limelight. They were essentially getting high and a few of them died because of overdoses. Thus is prompted the FDA to put an age restriction on Dextromethorphan purchases.

hope that helps.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3232
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"teenagers put the hallucinogenic effects of Dextromethorphan into the limelight. They were essentially getting high and a few of them died because of overdoses."

Were they drinking cough syrup or did they process it to concentrate it somehow? Or was it from some other source?

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 502
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you can trip (allegedly) from high doses of dextromethorphan (DXM) - and the overdoses come from drinking syrups or swallowing tablets that contain other medicines, including pseudoephedrine and acetaminophen. a full 4oz bottle of maximum strength cough suppressant should trigger a legitimate trip for a couple of hours in an average sized person. results may vary, don't try this at home.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3148
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 responses so far and nobody has answered the OP's question...

It started last year when the Combat Methamphetamine Epidemic Act of 2005 was singed into law in early 2006...

The whole thing seems a little pointless since most of the "cooks" that convert this stuff to methamphetamines are over 18 anyway...

The law also places limits on the quantity that a person can purchase in a 30 day period, but there's no system in place to keep track of this...

The way it's affected me the most is that Nyquil changed their formula to no longer include pseudoephedrine so that it wouldn't have to be kept behind the counter after the law was passed...and the new formula just doesn't treat my cold symptoms as effectively as the old one did.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't do illegal drugs anymore. Now I just do the legal drugs. Tonight I'm on NyQuil and Sudafed. Let me tell you something, folks. Forget about cocaine and heroin. All you need is NyQuil and Sudafed. I'm telling you right now, I took the NyQuil five years ago. I just came out of the coma tonight before the f*****g show! Claus Vanbulo was standing over my bed going, "Denis, get up! There's something the matter with Sunny! Hurry up!" I love NyQuil. Man, I love it! I love it. I love it. I love it. It's the best thing s**t ever invented. Isn't it, huh? I love the name alone. NyQuil - Capitol N, small Y, big f*****g Q! I love that f*****g Q, don't you!? What a great advertising idea! Put a huge f*****g Q on the box. They'll get high and stare at it. "The Q is talking to me! The Q is talking to me!"

I love NyQuil, man. Because NyQuil has never changed, man. It's never changed. All the other medicines are doing that inner-child thing. "we know that there's a small child inside of you, so now we have grape and cherry and orange flavor." Not NyQuil! They still have the original green death f*****g flavor! You know why!? Because it doesn't matter what it tastes like! It's so strong you go, "*wheeze* Hey this stuff really tastes like.." Bang! Yer in the coma already! "What happened?" "He said tastes like and he went right into the coma, it was unbelievable!" We have reached the point where the over the counter drugs are actually stronger than anything you can buy on the street. It says on the back of the NyQuil box, on the back of the box it says, "May cause drowsiness." It should say, "Don't make any f*****g plans! Kiss your family and friends goodbye. Say hello to Klaus!" NyQuil, NyQuil, NyQuil, we love you! You giant f*****g Q!

NyQuil is the secret for all you twelve step recovery program people. Yes, all you AA people, NyQuil is the key! It's the thirteenth f*****g step! You can drink it! It's over the counter! Drink as much as you want. "Are you drunk?" "No! I have a cold. Same cold I've had for two years. I just can't seem to shake it. I'm high as a kite and my teeth are green. Merry f*****g Christmas!"

--Denis Leary

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 260
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's why it comes with a dispenser in the shape of a shot glass.

NyQuil = Alcohol

This medicine has the same effect on me. I get myself all setup on the couch with following essentials, one cordless phone, one remote control, and a blanket.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 84
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some years ago one of our boys, 13 at the time, was abusing and overdosing on OTC in addition to illegal drugs. He was able to buy Benadryl, DM, Sudafed, and just about every other OTC drug unrestricted.

Someone can get intoxicated with enough of almost any substance. And, as already posted here, there can be the dangerous false assumption that because something is OTC, it's safe.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1209
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It had to be Buckleye's. The Father John's of the new millenium.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A person can not buy over a certain amount of the "ID required" OTCs in a certain period of time.

My son and myself were sick one right after the other...then my sister got hit with the same thing. I purchased some OTC stuff for my son, then when I got sick, went to get some for myself. Sis got sick and asked me to pick her up some (since it worked for us) and I wasn't able to since I had reached my monthly limit, according to the Pharmacist.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big Brother is here to protect you from yourself.

If you dont have anything to hide, you won't complain.

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 424
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a little insight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P urple_drank

Purple Drank is an illegal recreational drink popular amongst the hip-hop community of the Southern United States. Its main ingredient is prescription-strength cough syrup containing codeine and promethazine.[1]

The purple-ish hue of Purple Drank comes from dyes in the cough syrup. Recently, the term has expanded to cover mixtures including over-the-counter cough syrup. Other terms for Purple Drank include Sizzurp, Drank, Purple Tonic, Southern Lean, Texas Tea, Memphis Mud, Tsikuni, Lean, Syrup, P-Flav, Slip, Purple Sprite, PG Tips, and Purp.

History
Houston, Texas producer DJ Screw first popularized the concoction, which is widely attributed as a source of inspiration for the "chopped & screwed" style of hip hop music. Originally, the active ingredient of "Syrup" was cough syrup containing promethazine and codeine. The concoction first gained popularity in the underground Houston, Texas rap scene and later spread to other southern states. Also known as "Dat Slow Creep" in the Chicago Area, a different mix formed by the little known rapper Nate Meyers.

In June of 2000, Three 6 Mafia's single "Sippin On Some Sizzurp," featuring UGK and Project Pat brought the term "purple stuff" to a nationwide audience.[2]. In addition, Three 6 Mafia's single "Rainbow Colors" featuring Lil' Flip pertains to the consumption of purple drank; furthermore, the addition of a jolly rancher to a cup of purple dranks creates a spectrum of colors, hence "rainbow colors." On November 16, 2000, several months after the video to Three 6 Mafia's single debuted, DJ Screw died of a suspected overdose of codeine and alcohol.[3]. The mixture has also been referenced in lyrics of other rappers, including UGK's "Sippin and Spinnin" and "Purple Drank", as well as tracks by Big Moe, Paul Wall, Mike Jones, T.I., Lil' Flip, Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat, T-Pain, Chamillionaire, Big Moe, Slim Thug, Pat Cash and Z-Ro. In September of 2006, Terrence Kiel, a San Diego Chargers player, was arrested during practice for the possession with intent to sell of what authorities referred to as "Lean".[4].

New Orleans rapper Lil' Wayne frequently mentions drinking Purple Drank. In the Duffle Bag Boy music video he can be seen holding a Styrofoam cup with "RIP DJ Screw" written on it. In the remix to "Throw Some D's" on his mixtape Da Drought 3 he claims "I'm not a rookie, I'm a pro..methazine fiend" as well as stating "You know what's in my Styrofoam...what? S-Y-R-UP." He also refers to the substance in the song "We Takin' Over," where he says that "I like my Sprite Easter pink," an overt reference to the color of the beverage. Lil' Wayne also refers to Purple Drank in the freestyle rap "Live From 504," where he rhymes "And yep I sip that lean."

Ingredients

Active ingredients
The active ingredient of purple drank is codeine, a narcotic medication contained in prescription cough syrup. It is, however, not made with over-the-counter cough syrups such as Robitussin, which may contain dextromethorphan as well as other drugs. Although dextromethorphan is sometimes used recreationally, it has different effects. Some prescription cough syrups also contain antihistamine medications, such as promethazine, which have a mild sedative effect. When taken in large quantities, both medications can lead to sedation and altered levels of consciousness.[1] The syrup usually used in purple drank contains 10mg of codeine and 6.25 mg of promethazine per 5 mL[citation needed]. Users ingest roughly 120-250 mg of codeine with this dose. When hydrocodone is substituted, the dose can be overwhelming at higher common doses, leading to vomiting and other mild opiate overdose symptoms.

Jonesy

Post Number: 425
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lean

http://www.urbandictionary.com /define.php?term=lean

To create Lean, a popular drink originated from Houston Texas, you require the following for the original formula:

-Promethazine w/Codeine VC <- Sizzurp (active ingredient)
-Original Sprite Soda <- Mixing ingredient (although different flavors of sprite are now used, such as sprite remix)
-Jolly rancher candy <- Flavor additive

Put it all in a styrofoam cup and enjoy. The codeine is mainly responsible for the euphoric feeling after drinking lean. Promethazine causes motor skill impairment, lethargy, extreme drowsiness, as well as a disassociative feeling from all other parts of the body, specifically the stomach and digestive system. If it doesn't have promethazine w/ Codeine, it isn't real sizzurp.

The mixed drink combination known as "lean", is normally the color purple, due the added ingredient sizzurp, which is originally a dark purple syrup. There are other colors of sizzurp which can be added to create lean, but the purple is the true sizurp

Lean does not contain ANY form of alcohol, crushed pills, or other liquids in general.

Dat lean got my thoed.

Dat lean got my swervin.

"Mayne... hol' up... I got too much lean in my cup..." -Quoted from a popular song found in the south.

Jonesy

Post Number: 426
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DEA warns of soft drink-cough syrup mix

http://www.usatoday.com/news/h ealth/2006-10-18-lean_x.htm

By Donna Leinwand, USA TODAY
When San Diego Chargers defensive back Terrence Kiel was charged last month with illegally shipping cases of prescription cough syrup back home to East Texas, it cast a spotlight on a drug trend authorities say is spreading throughout the South and being celebrated in rap songs.
In a statement announcing Kiel's arrest Sept. 26, the Drug Enforcement Administration cited the rising popularity of a concoction that includes codeine-laced syrup mixed with a soft drink or sports drink. Such cocktails — known as "Lean," "Syrup," "Sizzurp" and "Purple Drank" — were popularized in rap mixes in the late 1990s by Robert Earl Davis Jr., a Houston disc jockey known as DJ Screw.

Since then, some teens and young adults in East Texas and beyond have been getting high on drinks in which the key ingredient is a prescription cough suppressant that contains the opiate codeine. DEA Special Agent Doug Coleman, who tracks the drug from the agency's headquarters in Arlington, Va., says users typically mix an ounce of the syrup with Sprite, a sports drink or a regional soft drink called Big Red, then plop in a Jolly Rancher candy and pour it over ice. The opiate produces a feeling of euphoria and causes motor skill impairment that makes users move slowly or lean over.

The scope of cough syrup abuse across the nation is unclear because national drug surveys do not ask about it specifically. However, police, federal drug agents and public health analysts from Texas to Florida say the abuse and illegal sale of codeine syrup are rising and are part of the much larger problem of prescription drug abuse.

In 2004, 8.3% of Texas secondary school students reported having taken enough codeine syrup to get high, according to a survey by the University of Texas.

The misuse of prescription syrups is "a huge trend. We've seen more of it in the last few years than we've ever seen before," Coleman says. "We see a lot of kids getting hold of it" by ordering from online pharmacies that accept unverified prescriptions and identification.

DEA agents say the demand for illicit syrup has sent its price soaring. Syrup that typically sells for $12 a pint that is stolen or obtained illegally from pharmacies and warehouses often is sold to street dealers for about $300 a pint, says Richard Sanders, a DEA agent in Tyler, Texas. He says East Texas dealers then sell it by the ounce to users for $40-$85 — or $640-$1,360 a pint.

The DEA's largest busts involving syrup have been in Texas and Florida, but it is turning up across the South. In August, police in Natchez, Miss., found several bottles of illicit syrup in countywide drug raids, and police in Alexandria, La., seized 15 1-pint bottles from a 48-year-old man.

Overdosing on prescription syrup is potentially fatal, but it's unclear how many people have died drinking such concoctions. Too much codeine, which is produced from morphine, can depress the central nervous system and stop the heart and lungs, Coleman says. "The misconception is that prescription drugs are OK because they are medicine," he says. "But if you're taking 25 times the recommended dosage, it's very dangerous."

In November 2000, DJ Screw, the innovator of rap mixes that glorified syrup drinks, died of a codeine overdose. His re-mixed and slowed-down rap songs reflected the narcotic effects of syrup, says Rolling Stone executive editor Joe Levy.

Since DJ Screw's death, others have extolled syrup drinks in their raps and mixes. Three 6 Mafia, an Oscar-winning hip-hop group, recently had a hit song called Sippin' on the Syrup. "Here in Houston, it went hand in hand with a very innovative form of hip-hop music called 'screw music,' " after DJ Screw, says Ron Peters, assistant professor of behavioral sciences at the University of Texas Health Science Center.

"I'd be surprised if the majority of high school hip-hop fans don't know what syrup is," Levy says. "But it doesn't mean they are using it."

Syrup drinks appeared in Pensacola, Fla., in 1999 as a social drink among drug dealers, says Pensacola police Sgt. Stephen Bauer. Pensacola's narcotics unit recently concluded a wiretap investigation in which cocaine and marijuana dealers routinely mentioned syrup in recorded conversations, Bauer says.

In Louisiana, teens are using syrup in the Lafayette and Lake Charles areas, says Kristen Meyer of the state Department of Health and Hospitals. "It's new on everyone's radar," she says.

Trafficking of syrup is rising in Texas, says Special Agent Tim Stover of the DEA's Fort Worth office. Dealers in Dallas, Fort Worth and Houston have bought pints from corrupt pharmacy owners for cash, he says.

In Houston, seven pharmacists and a doctor were convicted last summer of illegally diverting more than 2,500 gallons of narcotic cough syrup by creating and filling hundreds of phony prescriptions.

In August, a federal grand jury in Oakland indicted the directors of a non-profit organization set up to distribute medicine in Nigeria. They allegedly used the group to divert prescription drugs, including syrup, to dealers and users.

Despite crackdowns by police, prescription syrup is a popular illicit drug in Tyler, where Kiel's packages were to have been sent. Kiel, who grew up in nearby Lufkin, told DEA agents he shipped the syrup to help out a cousin, says Bob Grimes, Kiel's attorney. The cousin has not been identified; no others have been charged.

Court papers say DEA agents were told of Kiel's shipment by FedEx managers who inspected a package the player had dropped off and found 15 pints of syrup. Kiel was arrested after he took a second box of syrup to FedEx. DEA agents found more syrup in his garage, Special Agent Dan Simmons says. Kiel pleaded not guilty to five felony charges. He could face up to five years in prison if convicted.

Jonesy

Post Number: 427
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even junkies in the UK are hip to Lean.

http://www.drugs-forum.co.uk/f orum/showthread.php?t=5366

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6011
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus... if you used Zycam to kill off your cold in 2 days, instead of Nyquil to just mask the symptoms for a week, you probably wouldn't need cold formula's ever again!

Every time I get a cold, at the first sign of one, I take Zycam... cold is gone in 2 days. I even have my mother take it. At age 85, when she has a cold, it keeps here bedridden for 2 weeks. The last time she started getting one, she took Zycam, and was up and about in 3 days.

In order for it to work, you have to take it ON SCHEDULE. Plus it's homeopathic (no drug is ingested into your body). Zycam (comes in several forms) is mainly Zinc ions (incomplete molecules) that attach themselves to cold viruses. When then happens is the virus cannot reproduce, and then it dies. Hence much shorter and less severe cold. But it doesn't work on sinus infections (a bacterial infection) only colds, which are viral.

I always keep a $11 bottle of nasal gel Zycam in the house.

Yeti
Username: Yeti

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to shoplift Robotessin in high school. Drink a whole bottle and watch the walls move. We called it Robo-Trippin.

Mini-Thins were a great speed too.

But the main reason that stuff is behind the counter, and age restricted is that people use it to create meth. There is a great Frontline episode about the Meth epidemic and how cough syrup got banned because of it. You can watch online here:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/ frontline/meth/

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/ frontline/meth/view/

PS.

I love Frontline.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3140
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was touched on above is that this is nothing more than a feel-good, B.S. law passed several years ago.

I just said to hell with it and went down to Toledo.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 442
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of the cough medicines (Robitussin), for example, have been abused by our youth for quite some time. I remember in the late 60', early 70's, we had a number of "Robos" (as we called them), roaming around the parks that we used to frequent. You could tell by the red staining around their mouths that they were Robo's, and their gait and speech were definitely another indicator of their toxicity.

Later, when working for EMS, I can't begin to tell you how many chests I hammered on to bring life back into some of the zombies that we were called on to resuscitate from their Robo buzz, as it seemed a great way to self medicate for the street people back then.

All of these instances were part of the reasons that I grew up never wanting to stretch the envelope of life very far.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2236
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DXM has no chemical relationship to codeine or opiates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D extromethorphan

Abuse by young people usually is of the pill form, not commonly sold in Michigan. (aka "Skittles") Some kids drink a whole bottle of syrup to get high.

In the old days, this was sold as a brand called "romilar". This was abused too, Ive read some strange stories about peoples trips on that crap. (edgar cayces son for one).

DXM is a "disassociative", and actually has little medical benefit other than making you a bit fucked up so you dont think about your cold as much.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're talking about two things.

Robo-tripping and pseudoephedrine (for making meth) are totally separate.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2238
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heres a nice rant about pseudoephedrine pills:

http://www.detroitfunk.com/200 7/01/fubar.html

Mauser765

Post Number: 2239
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The stuff Jonsey is talking about IS codeine syrup which has nothing to do with DXM or pseudoephedrine.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 448
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The op was discussing cough syrup and his having to show id to purchase it. He was asking when that became law. The thread has slowly drifted to the other topics. Cough syrup is not related to making meth as stated.

A number of others have pointed out the whys and hows of the reasoning behind the law.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2806
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One has always been able to buy a small bottle of cough syrup containing codeine over the counter in Mi;that is nothing at all new. It is not on the shelf. The pharmacist has the discretion to dispense it.No prescription is required.

I had a friend years ago who was a pharmacist. He would tell me he always new the junkies because they would pay any price has asked them ........if it normally cost five he would charge ten and they would gladly pay. If one asks the pharmacist for an over the counter bottle w/codeine and he does not want to give it, he/she(pharm) usually just says they don't have it...........they always have it they just won't sell it to some people.

The recent ban on selling cold medicines and syrups otc is related to meth labs. As a former junkie I can attest to the resourcefullness of bathtub drug manufactures..........those cats can squeeze a lot of shit from a lot of places.

Detroitpharmstudent
Username: Detroitpharmstudent

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Well that is completely untrue, sorry. Codeine absolutely cannot be bought without a prescription. The cough syrup the original poster is probably referring to is one with dextromethorphan like many of you have said. These typically contain larger amounts of alcohol as well. "Kids" have been buying these syrups too get drunk/high. So they are most often behind the counter now, available only to those over 18. This is a relatively new practice - I'd say about 6 months or so.

The pseudoephedrine law is older, and completely different. The problem here was that people (not "kids") were STEALING countless boxes off the shelves as it takes quite a bit a Sudafed to make any worthwhile amount of meth. So now there are both daily and weekly limits on the amounts of these products that can be purchased.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2240
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meth comes from super labs in Mexico in large volumes, and the majority of it could be prevented by inspecting the massive flow of unregulated trucking that now streams across the borders. Thanks a lot, Bush/Clinton.

Detroitpharmstudent
Username: Detroitpharmstudent

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's true. Only a very small fraction ever came from OTC medications. Unfortunately everyone has to pay because of the crackheads.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2807
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry pharmstud't I am right. One can purchase a 4 oz bottle of cough syrup with codeine over the counter thru the pharmacist and by signing a registry. Don't ever underestimate the will of junkies they are quite resourceful. I don't say that as an admirer. Only to warn.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroitpharmstudent, you could get robitussin ac without a prescription, you have to speak with the pharmacist, and the pharmacist has to log information about you, and is allowed to give you 120ml.

mauser, it may not mention it in wikipedia, but pharmacology books will explain the chemical link between codeine and detrodm. maybe we could have that be a project that detroitpharmstudent could look up.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2254
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heres an interesting side note, the "Combat Methamphetamine Epidemic Act of 2005" was signed as part of the freakin Patriot Act. This is where cold pills were demonized.

Ridiculous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C ombat_Methamphetamine_Epidemic _Act_of_2005

DXM: Vaguely related to opioids perhaps, but because it doesnt work on the same receptor, its not considered a true opiate.

Chemistry/Pharmacology:

Dextromethorphan (DXM) (d-3-methoxy-N-methyl-morphina n) is the dextro isomer of levomethorphan, a semisynthetic morphine derivative. Although structurally similar to other narcotics, DXM does not act as a mu receptor opioid (e.g. morphine, heroin). DXM and its metabolite, dextrorphan, act as potent blockers of the N-methyl -d-aspartate (NMDA) receptor. At high doses, the pharmacology of DXM is similar to the controlled substances phencyclidine (PCP) and ketamine that also antagonize the NMDA receptor. High doses of DXM produce PCP-like behavioral effects. DXM may cause a false-positive test result with some urine immunoassays for PCP.

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj. gov/drugs_concern/dextro_m/dex tro_m.htm

(Message edited by mauser765 on December 31, 2007)

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 494
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wikipedia. Where any amateur is an expert. I still don't understand why anyone uses that as a reference.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 244
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The purple-ish hue of Purple Drank comes from dyes in the cough syrup.

I knew this web site could warp your mind.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.