Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Chen Chow « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1754
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody try out this new place in Birmingham?
Yes, yes, I know it's not Detroit, but it is "metro Detroit," and I didn't want to put this thread on the "Discuss Ccbatson" side of the forum.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11156
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tried it out on what happened to be their opening night...they nailed it on the entrees, but my friends called the sushi tasteless. Overall, we agreed we liked it anyways. Entrees were in the $25-40 range...some interesting taste blends, it was tough to choose ONE thing to eat.

Reminds me of that original Nu-Asian restaurant in Beverly Hills...I think it's called Mr. Chows...when I lived in LA my girlfriend had to eat there every other week. Better than that national chain Nu-Oriental place in the Somerset Mall, but I've no other frame of reference to compare it with.

Our waiter admitted later of some stumbles from the kitchen that night...and he was obviously training two newbie waitstaff...but it seemed the crowd was a wee bit overcritical and stuffy. He was flustered from the tough crowd, and actually thanked our table of six at the end of the night because we were so much fun...even through his upstream and downstream turbulence!

I'd recommend it, with reservation, but their Chilean Sea Bass and another fish entree I cannot remember until I see the menu were so out of this world to be worth a wait in line again.

Just don't sit in the bar by the door, that pretty look-at-me-queue hallway is decorative only...they need to enclose it in plexiglass to keep the frosty wind out.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1763
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bUMp

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.