Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Traiin sounds in Grosse Pointe? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I am at a loss.

I grew up close to the lake with no AC and when we heard the sounds of distant trains coming through our screens, I always understood the trains to be running on the Canadian side of the lake.

This supposition continued to reaffirm itself in later life as we would sail over to Belle River for the weekend and note the trains running along the rails on the shore.

Tonight, young son and I were in the back yard in GP...just blocks from Mack and we heard a train whistle that had a sound that was clearly not coming from the other side of the lake....indeed it was within a few miles of us, loud and distinct.

What were we hearing?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4118
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are some aftermarket train horns available for use on normal vehicles. It might have been that.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4211
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mafia, I also have lived for many years near Mack in GP. I'm quite sure that you are hearing train horns the rail approach to the Jefferson North/Warren Engine Chrysler plant right there near Warren/St. Jean. That's only 2-3 miles away. We might also hear trains passing through New Center/Milwaukee Junction. Amtrak and various freight goes through there near the Amtrak station on Baltimore, and all the way to Poletown for the freight trains. On a still night those sounds carry well and can sound rather distinct.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a track that follows Groesbeck, and if conditions are right, the sound could carry that far. I know sometimes we can hear the trains in Royal Oak-Ferndale about 4 miles away almost as if they were running on the Mile road just to our north.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1157
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good info Mackinaw and Gaz,

I have just never heard it that close while in GP. I am thinking that the Warren/St. Jean option sounds most realistic based on the proximity of the sound.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny you mention this... I am hearing trains more often than usual too on the Eastside. Perhaps the weather is carrying the sound better lately?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1185
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"There is a track that follows Groesbeck, and if conditions are right, the sound could carry that far. I know sometimes we can hear the trains in Royal Oak-Ferndale about 4 miles away almost as if they were running on the Mile road just to our north."

Yeah, that one runs daily at 3PM sharp. you better not be on 8 Mile that time of day.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This one was at about 10:30 PM

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am hearing quite a bit of them right now.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This would indicate drinking out in the yard on a Saturday night.

Good work Eastside! I approve.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5976
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I often hear the Goesbeck line train from about 3 miles away in St. Clair Shores. Although I usually hear it late at night (2-3AM), sometimes I hear it in the day time.

When I lived near Balduck Park, I could often hear the large Ore Carriers on the Detroit River sounding their horns, a low pitched foghorn sound.

But in SCS, I never hear it. Not sure if it's because the shipping channels are so far out in the lake, or maybe because there's no reason to sound them out there.

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 146
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think low cloud covering has a lot to do with it. I live in Woodbridge, and in summer (with the bedroom windows open) I can sometimes hear ship horns at night. Wish I could hear them more often

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 829
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was there a tornado somewhere last night?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =kquopgPPNRA&feature=related

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3523
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live near 7/Mack and I frequently hear the GTW trains following Groesbeck. However, last night there was a strong breeze (let's call it a fresh breeze for our sailor friend) from the southeast, so maybe you were hearing the trains across the lake? Also, the rail line paralleling St Jean occasionally has trains run south side of Jefferson to the chemical recycling plant on Freud.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2453
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mccarch hit it with low cloud cover. I have the same thing here in suburban Vegas. On a (rare) cloudy day I'll hear the horns from a Union Pacific spur five miles south. On clear days never hear 'em.

Kind of a romance to hearing a diesel horn, ain't there? Was even better in the steam days......

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2057
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem--I thought you were Vernier/Mack. Did you move down the street to be closer to Metro Airport?

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5816
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock, you want train action, try Flagstaff, AZ on the Santa Fe. They run volumes right through downtown at high speeds and they really blow the horns at ya. You can stand there and watch the Chinese imports in containers up from the Calif. ports, heading East.

Then there's Rochelle, Illinois, the famous crossing.

jjaba.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 361
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz is right,

Go to Trainhorn.org or Hornblasters.com. The compressors at trainhorn.org are crappy. The horns are OK.

Search Youtube for examples.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2058
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry folks, those train sounds you hear from GP are emanating from my HO gauge model train layout in my basement.4 tracks, 30 diesels, 61 steam engines to chose from. Lots of sound-- whistles, horns, steam, the whole works, along with a boom box playing the rail sounds on a DVD collection gathered from 25 different train locations all across the USA.
But I hear those other sounds, too. Trains in Macomb and Wayne counties, steam whistles from the freighter channel, planes on their landing pattern to Metro Airport, tankers from Selfridge. Not always peaceful around hear, but I would have it no other way.
Those commercial lawn mower services and their equipment? That's another story.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4127
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I didn't think to search Youtube.

This ship horn's pretty cool: Bigger than a Train Horn!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5817
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz, now that some horns. Amazing set-up. Imagine that guy in the mall parking lot when you back up in his lane.

The Rock needs to invite The Forum out for some Strohs and some train action. Sounds like quite the set-up. Pastoral Grosse Pointe from the ads doesn't sound like your Grosse Pointe. You want peace and quiet, try living on the Westside of Detroit.

jjaba, LOL.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 3:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba & The Rock; If it's not Lionel HO you guys will deservedly catch hell from this board

Jjaba's on the money on Flagstaff-the Rodeway Inn @ 122 Route 66 is a shabby snowboarder hang-but the rooms on the South side over the driveway are manna for trainwatchers hell for anybody else

if you go further west it's Joe's Country Corner Café 2135 Glen Helen Parkway Devore, CA-sit on a picnic table while 3 mainlines cross a mere 20 feet away, the food is good enough where the engineers will stop their trains to grab lunch

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 593
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 5:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Conrail crossing on East Jefferson just east of St. Jean has occassional traffic and whistles. It serves the Chrysler Jefferson North assembly plant.

Yes, there still is a Conrail in Detroit and two places in New Jersey existing as a "Shared Asset" of Norfolk Southern and CSX.

Bob Cosgrove

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.