Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Belle Maison « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandparents lived on the 8th floor from 1977 - 1993 in the Belle Maison on East Jefferson across the street from Indian Village. After my grandfather died in 1988 we tried to get my grandmother to come live with us in Warren. We used to spend a lot of time over there. There was a nice little park on the river and we would watch the boat races or walk over the MacArthur to Belle Isle. New management to the building forced all residents to have a car registered with their apartment. My grandmother never learned how to drive and the building was beginning to lose its luster, so she retreated to suburbia. I have not been down there in some years and I was wondering if anyone knows how the building is today. I seen that the Whittier was being renovated. Those high rises along East Jefferson are nice places to live. You are a couple of minutes to downtown, couple of minutes to the Pointes and the Shores.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belle Maison has a different name now. My mom lived in Casa Balcona right in front of Belle Maison. There is a different mix there now, families it looks like. They put in security gates, but think they are mostly open, at least in the daytime. I think it is called 8300 on the River or something like that. We still have my mom's place, trying to sell but co-ops are a tough market it seems.

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did not it changed names. 8300 is the address to the building.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1197
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The big sign in front says "8300 on the River", not Belle Maison. That's different, anyway.

(Message edited by gazhekwe on December 22, 2007)

Demetrius8527
Username: Demetrius8527

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does any have pictures of the old Belle Maison. I will try to google it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.