Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Stand Up and Tell 'Em Your From Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's no town like motown

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cCm gjAvE1CM

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm, kinda dull-canned music, how long has Coleman been dead? Needs models(not the Big 3 kind) in bikinis that you'd buy for a dollar. This is more like it;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =nZIlba4zKeg

D_mcc

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was watching a short video on the riots, and they mentioned a nation wide speech given by LBJ. Does anyone know where to find this video, or if it even exists?

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 161
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is it the one where he's bashing our governor for "not being able to control his own state?"

D_mcc

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess so, I have never seen it so I am looking for it as we speak

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a bit off topic, but Jerry Cavanagh reminded me a lot of Fred Rogers, with his demeanor, tone of voice and everything.

D_mcc, that is a interesting article though. There isn't anyplace in the world like Detroit.

D_mcc

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking the other day, how the city has this pull. I can't explain it other than, I feel like I am on vacation. Granted, I have been gone for 6 months and it is much to long. I look for jobs in the D every day. It's where I grew up, where I lived...No place like the D....

I have been looking and looking for articles linked to LBJ and the Riots... and not a lot comes up. I will keep looking though

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2441
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was back "home" last summer, I thumbed through a Sunday edition of the News. I was saddened to see the "help wanted" section was but three columns in the classified section. Back here in Las Vegas, the "help wanted" section is three complete sections of the classified ads. Probably thirty pages.

Boy, three columns is a bummer. :-(

D_mcc

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone knows of any architecture firms that are hiring, let me know :-)

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 169
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure it was discussed on here a few years ago when it came out, but a terrific film is "A city on fire. The 1968 Detroit Tigers". It was a one hour HBo documentary. It showed video of the riots, interviews with Detroit personalities and regular folks and discussed how the Tigers helped heal the city, at least for a year. It came to mind because the LBJ announcement sending federal troops was in the film. I still have a copy on tape. It can probably be purchased from HBO.

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell 'em you're from Pittsburgh, I mean, Detroit, I mean...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =xSlERvKyPXU

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 6:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When will you people realize that this attraction that you have for your hometown is nothing unique to Detroit? Anyone who relocates to a better place apparently longs for their "hometown"

Just ask iheartthed. This young man or woman apparently finds that it's necessary to check in here and post about his town every hour or so, at least according to the frequency of his/her posts here. This is just an observation coming from a casual observer of this site...

Someone who's forced to leave San Antonio after 20 years growing up there will most likely have the same affection towards that "hometown" that the expats seem to have when it comes to Metro Detroit.

When will people realize that metro Detroit was a really shitty place to grow up in? If you had to spend time there you should appreciate the fact that you no longer have to be constrained to a racist place like that. It's a big world.

This message is brought to you by a New York girl who spent 2 years in Detroit City during college in the late 1990s.

Thanks!

Missmich
Username: Missmich

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heh, I spent 40 years in SE Michigan, dont miss it one bit. Now leaving Michigan all together would tear me up, but leaving Se MI for NW MI? Nah, its better up here.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 294
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think a lot of people would disagree that Metro Detroit was a 'really shitty place to grow up in'.

I've always lived in Michigan, but through my travels and conversations with friends who have moved elsewhere, I can't see any reason it's any better or worse than anywhere else to live. Every place has its benefits and downfalls. Obviously you had a horrible experience while you were "constrained" to living here, but those of us who freely choose to live here would strongly disagree. I am happily employed, live in a very nice home near family, friends, and just about any entertainment option you could ask for. What's so bad about that?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4314
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

When will people realize that metro Detroit was a really shitty place to grow up in?

That's funny, I had a great time growing up here. I guess I haven't realized that, in fact, I had a shitty time. Good thing a complete stranger came by to tell me what it was like. With their 2 years of experience, they should know.

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 425
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well John, it is Queen's finest, which says quite a bit right there in those two words.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 223
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This former Detroiter who now makes his home in Florida would like to tell Queensworst to keep her attitude in check. Too many people on this forum (respectfully) would disagree. I'm proud to say that I'm from Detroit. Your post serves no purpose, other than to express an opposing viewpoint held by few others who post here.

Like Johnlodge, I, too, had a great time growing up in Detroit, and I'm happy for the appreciation of cultural diversity I learned along the way. Personally, I'd rather be from Detroit than from Queens.

D_mcc

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where in Florida are you at Mallory?

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 501
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to threadjack, but...

I did like seeing that "Stand-Up for Detroit" link. It was a catchy little jingle, had a nice hook, it was funny seeing the Coleman and Bill Bonds fighting over coneys. For those who don't remember, this spot was shot just a few months after Bill Bonds challenged Mr. Young to a boxing match ... on the air!

No love lost between those two, and to see them on camera together was just flat out funny. Can you imagine Steve Wilson and Kwame doing the same thing?

It was a well done commercial, even if it was a tad syrupy, and it delivered the message that despite our differences, we're all in this together.

Forgive me, but I still sing that Red Pop song even though I'm not a RedPop fan.

For those folks who aren't into the whole nostalga thing ... too bad for you because you're missing out on some nice smiles.

D_mcc

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^If you looked at the videos, surely you saw all the other great Bill Bond's pieces

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 892
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If you looked at the videos, surely you saw all the other great Bill Bond's pieces"

...and hairpieces!

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 407
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems kinda strange that "Queen" spent two years in Detroit and seems to feel qualified to tell all people that grew up here what a "shitty place to live and grow up in it is". She obviously had a bad experience here but there are thousands of people who have no such feelings towards Detroit. Her constant negativity towards Detroit I hope helps her rectify her period here but many quite frankly, have no such feelings like she has in own personal situations. I have numerous good friends who now live in Denver, Orlando,Toronto, California and Chicago. With the exception of two every one of them says they miss Detroit alot.They also say their promised land cities turned out to be not so great all the time like they thought. Often they say these places have many similar issues we have and some we dont have. Only they all say their towns very seldom get the bad rap we do and for some reason media always overlooks these unfavorable issues. Detroit seems to be the whipping board for it, but like everything in life, you get beat up as long as you allow yourself to be. The ones from Denver are trying to find employment to come back after three years there. Every one of them says Motown is unique and they miss the people terribly . They are all impressed by the improvement downtown. This does not describe a "shitty "existence by any means.

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 776
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When will people realize that metro Detroit was a really shitty place to grow up in?"

Queensfinest - a large number of people who post on this forum grew up in Metro Detroit, went to great schools, and were exposed to great culture and diversity. Most of us have traveled the world over and are intelligent enough, mature enough, and sophisticated enough to be able to see Detroit and it's place in the world in the right light.

You on the other hand, are coming across as a young, pretentious, immature ex art school student who thinks she knows a lot more than she really does, because she happened to grow up in a great city like New York.

OK - so maybe it wasn't art school...

D_mcc

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's so great about New York anyways? Big, Dirty, and unfriendly. I feel much more at home in Hart Plaza for the EMF or Movement than I do in Times Square to watch TRL. But hey...what do we know...we're from Detroit.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My aunt has a tape with the notorious newsbreak where Bill Bonds blows the '80 Winter Olympics "Miracle On Ice" finale-I gotta YouTube that one

Detroitbill

Post Number: 408
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many friends originally from other cities have often said to me they are very surprised how culturally knowledgeable Detroiters are,, They had no idea. People dont realize the diversification and culture that this town possesses. Its rich history developed this in its people. Just go to some of the new "mega" cites out west. Discussing culture with them is very difficult. They know shopping malls, sun resorts and mass marketing lifestyles. While this is appealing to many there are some of us who seek otherwise.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 503
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_mcc -

Welcome, and thanx for posting that link. nice

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 460
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This message is brought to you by a New York girl who spent 2 years in Detroit City during college in the late 1990s.

Thanks!

Yes, thanks. Thanks for confirming every negative stereotype of New Yorkers I've ever heard.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 386
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Queensfinest? The ridiculous handle you choose shows your complete contempt for anyone anywhere and your lack of respect for yourself, too. To imply that somehow you are the finest that Queens has to offer is a joke and your immaturity and arrogance toward those people who post here in regard to their love of this city displays how little you learned about "us" in your brief two year stay here.

Also, last time I looked, wasn't Queens kind of a shitty little 'burb in relation to NYC proper?

As a "casual observer", you should learn that if your going to make ill-informed, stupid-assed statements like the ones I've seen you post here so flippantly, then you should dig in and prepare for the wrath that will certainly ensue when you start making those "casual observations" that you are becoming so well known for. My guess is that you never got laid here because of YOUR lousy attitude, which again speaks volumes for the source of your anger.

Finally, be aware, too, that none of "us" here really cares what you have to say from afar, as you are not part of the solution but the problem. It is people with your type of careless attitude that make things much worse here as your perceptions from the '90's don't match the realities of today. I'll take our less than 1 mil population any day over your 11mil+ people stepping all over each other. That's not to say we don't have our own problems, but at least I don't live in a police state like lock-down environment like you do.

When you want to deal with the issues of DETROIT, come to Detroityes. Otherwise, stick your opinions, cause "we" don't care.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2803
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Queesnfinest is the moniker for the band Queens most loyal fan. In any case don't be too hard on him or her.With age does come wisdom.

Having grown up in the Ann Arbor Detroit area I can say with the greatest confidence that this was and still is a wonderful place. I would compare this area favorably with any.I have been around more than a few and less than some. But enough to know that we compare with any.

Sentiment, loyalty friends made, schools attended etc etc these are what make people have affection for their hometown.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1751
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I respect the ardent loyalty, shown by so many of you, to Detroit, but holy SHIT how can you folks be Detroiters and have such thin skin? Queensfinest was expressing her opinion. Her opinion came across with a shitty little tone, but I think some of you are excruciatingly prone to over-reacting anytime anyone rags on Detroit. I see that, here, all the time.
Can't we have warm feelings for our city without hysterically frothing at the mouth whenever anyone dares to suggest that it is anything less than an urban utopia?

Plymouthres

Post Number: 416
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on, Ravine, she made those "observations" after two years, most of which she was a student? What do you expect from us? I've lived here for 40+ years and I guess I don't agree. It's akin to calling someone's kid ugly that you've never really seen.

But that's just my opinion, which I guess I'm not entitled to either. I know a bit better about dissing the places that I've barely passed through. Hopefully she will "learn" to respect what others have come to know as home, and not be so cavalier about her opinions.

Also, aren't your "opinions" a bit rash there? I don't see a staunch defense of our city as "frothing at the mouth" or being "excruciatingly prone to over re-acting" at all, rather I see it as the reality of what it really is.

Perhaps she will get the idea that when you come against some of us, we are glad to defend our little "urban utopia" as you so finely put it. I, for one, am tired of the nation wide beating that we constantly get, and I see nothing wrong with sticking up for the city that you love and grew up in, especially when there is such casually stated nonsense.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6905
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY DETROIT!

I stand for thee.

Ravine

Post Number: 1752
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres, I respect your firm, and well-stated, response to my comments. There is no forthcoming "but," there. Your remarks stand unchallenged. Certainly, contrary to the aside you made, you are entitled to your opinion. That's the point.
My descriptions of the reactions may have been exaggerative. Still, I strongly believe that, while loyalty to our city is a good thing, we need to be realistic & honest enough to recognize that Detroit has some extremely serious problems, and is badly fucked-up in numerous ways. Detroit looks to be struggling to its feet, but she sure as hell ain't dancing just yet.
I found some of the reactions to Queensfinest to be somewhat "over-the-top," but I recognize that the same could be said about my reaction to those reactions.
We do need to be able to Stand Up And Accept Criticism, however.
Maybe it is merely one of those things like, it is O.K. for me to say that my friend is a shithead, but if you say it, I'm gonna kick your ass.

D_mcc

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Maybe it is merely one of those things like, it is O.K. for me to say that my friend is a shithead, but if you say it, I'm gonna kick your ass.

Perhaps it's one of those situations when a bunch of friends are picking on one another, but when someone who barely knows anyone tries to make a joke, and people get offended because they have no basis for saying the joke.

I think it's more like that, sure QueensFinest is entitled to his/her/its opinion, but you don't walk into a bar and start ripping on the patrons just because you've been there once or twice.

We are all well aware of the extreme problems, adversity, and challenges Detroit faces on a daily basis. But we also look past the bad, and see the good in the heart of the city and those that care about it, and we don't like it when people try to tear down everything we have rebuilt on fragile footings with one or two sentences.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 425
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RAvine-

Agreed! How very refreshing to see your response so clearly stated and succinct.

You are right about the city having a way to go, but I think we might just be closer than we have ever been to accomplishing the thing that we all are here to see-the comeback of a great city with much to offer.

Now, if we could somehow convince someone who is honest, and has some integrity behind them to run for mayor and we get some kind of competent, non-racist(and non-bralwing both verbal and otherwise!) city council members(not all, but some), we might just get there!

At least that is what I see as a necessity to the next step to bring the city back.

And, oh yeah, the slumlords who refuse to pick their own places up! They need to have their property confiscated in lieu of their vulturistic ways.

Thanks for your candor.

D_mcc

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Now, if we could somehow convince someone who is honest, and has some integrity behind them to run for mayor and we get some kind of competent, non-racist(and non-bralwing both verbal and otherwise!) city council members(not all, but some), we might just get there!"

Well.....fine, I guess I'll run if I have the backing ha ha.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 428
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_mcc-

After 27 posts, I can't help you get there as I haven't "seen your stuff" so to speak, but I'd be willing to take a chance on something, anything, that may help.

This group is really getting old and some refreshing might just catapult it over the top here!

Give us your agenda!

Ravine

Post Number: 1753
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hhmmm. Does Plymouthres mean to imply that my posts are normally not clearly stated and succinct?
Harrumphh!! I admit that I may occasionally "circle for a landing" a few more times than is absolutely necessary, but I usually alight in the exact spot for which I was aiming.
Well, at least that's what I think. The rest of you may, with some great frequency, find yourselves thinking, "I have no idea what Ravine is trying to say, but I'm pretty sure that it's a bunch of bullshit."

Edit for sentence-trimming

(Message edited by ravine on December 23, 2007)

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 739
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to see the quick 30 second spot that had the original "Stand up and tell them your from Deeetroit!"
An interesting personal story about them short commercials is that when I was real young 3yrs old +/- I remember those commercials. It is actually my first recollection of Detroit! I remember one time that commercial coming on and saying to my mom "Detroit, forget Detroit I hate Detroit" Of course completely unaware of what DETROIT actually was. My mom said " Detroit is where we live its our hometown." After that I said "I LOVE Detroit Yay Detroit!" That is my first understanding of Detroit and I have loved the D ever since!
Oh yea Queensfinest I know I may come off as a brash Detroiter but hey if you hate it here in nice terms GO screw yourself! Yea Detroit sucks in a lot of ways but there are more good things about it!

Plymouthres

Post Number: 434
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine-

You mean to tell me that you make "normal" posts? I rather doubt that anything about you OR I is normal in any way, shape or form, however, as I said before, you are a refreshing addition here as are just about all of the op's. Sometimes things go a bit awry, but in the posts you've responded in, succinct and clear pretty much sums it up for me.

Sorry for the confusion! Hope that adds some clarity here!

As far as BS, that is highly suspicious, too.

D_mcc

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it all starts with proper education and normal service funding. Police, fire. Make the citizens feel that living in detroit doesn't isolate them from normal services they would get anywhere else. After the citizens have confidence that the city is capable of providing for the population, that will entice businesses to return to the city, Mom and Pop shops too, not a CVS and a Walgreens on every corner, but rather a community based store that knows its customers and cater to their needs.

All these things have the foundations laid for them already, there just needs to be that spark so to say to light the cities fires again. And I mean that in a good way, as I am more than aware of the connotation that comes along with fire and Detroit. Our city will be great again.

Detroitbill

Post Number: 409
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In regards to Queens post its the so true theory that its not what you say in life its how you say it. Thats what is so awesome about Detroit and many of its inhabitants, people luv to kick us but we keep getting back up, and keep making it work , its basically been the history of this city. We are survivors. Despite our grumblings and disappointments at times, there is a genuine sense of caring, expressed in numerous ways. The people in my life here show it time and time again.
I see this in very few other cities I have lived in during my life. I think its called true loyalty.

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Queensfinest" made the remark that Detroit was a "really shitty place to grow up in."
Oh, please! That poster was not even from Detroit, therefore has no actual knowledge of what is is like to grow up here. Those born/raised elsewhere can surely be proud of their hometowns without seeking to bash the hometown pride of another. I wonder why someone even bothered to bring that negativity to this forum.
Detroit has a lot to offer, both people and places. The best thing a Detroiter can do is to invite someone else to experience Detroit, whether it is an out-of-towner or your favorite suburbanite. When I have done this, it has been very positive all around. I don't just stand up and tell them I am from Detroit, I show them and demonstrate some of the unique coolness I have come to know and love.

Verifiable
Username: Verifiable

Post Number: 87
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't it be "stand up and tell them YOU'RE from Detroit?" LOL

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.