Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » WDIV at Grant Trial-- playing for keeps.. tossing schoolgirl under the bus « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rotation_slim
Username: Rotation_slim

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Things getting ugly at Steven Grant Trial.. a producer at Ch. 7 brought his 14 year old daughter so she could observe for a class assignment. WDIV somehow decided that schoolgirl in court gave Ch. 7 some kind of advantage, so they convinced the deputies to throw her out of the courtroom. It was pretty low.. even for a TV news station.

Informed
Username: Informed

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would agree, but you have no idea how low TV news can get. Think of the reporter or anchor you respect most. now picture them selling their own mother for a story or allowing their daughter to be used like a whore just to satisfy their need to be praised on a daily basis in the eyes of the public they can't stand. Those people are the cream of the crop, the rest fall far below that. The devil is alive and well in the media, they are evil! dont think for a minute they have standards or ethics, you should hear the rational used in newsrooms, its terrible. Remember they are their to make money, not provide the truth. Words are mere tools for their demonic cult of lie builders.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Well, I coulda been an actor, but I wound up here
I just have to look good, I dont have to be clear"
~Don Henley

I haven't watched local news in 5 years.
The people have become yapping caricatures.
Bad ones.

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was the protest over her being another set of eyes for the rival station or was it that she was had "unfair advantage" over other people by being allowed to watch a high profile trial through being the relative of a media producer? I don't know if it is a closed trial or not, but I am sure if it is open there are plenty of other people (like actual law students or people who knew the family) who would want a chance to watch the proceedings, as opposed to a high school freshman skipping class for a school paper.

Anyway, it seems a rather strange "take your daughter to work" field trip- there is no way I would want to expose my 14 year old daughter to the details of that particular murder case.

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 109
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hank Winchester probably didn't like being the second prettiest gal in the courtroom.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11100
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there any wonder why the local media has little credibility around here.

On a side note - Why would someone want to have their 14 year old daughter exposed to some of the facts that may come out during this case.

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 400
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "dont think for a minute they have standards or ethics, you should hear the rational used in newsrooms, its terrible."

What the hell do you know about newsrooms? You've never set foot in one. You can't even form a coherent sentence.

What you don't like, as is clear from your previous posts, is the media calling out your beloved Kilpatrick administration for their numerous misdeeds. Go back to defending the crooks and leave media discussion to people who can express themselves clearly.

Informed
Username: Informed

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hockey_player, blog writing is conversational. The punctuation and other rules for writing are tossed aside for the allowance of slang, common terms, etc.. Grow a little thicker skin and you are right don't trust my word for what happens in a newsroom. Go and intern there for yourself and see it first hand. my opinion is informed, yours i believe isn't.

Hockey_player

Post Number: 401
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've worked in the local media for over 15 years.

What is your experience?

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 247
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good thread writing is at once conversational, informed AND grammatically competent. Otherwise, you risk sounding like a mere crank.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 738
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

News? Are you talking about that tripe on at noon, five, and eleven that has no journalistic content but just flash and ratings grabs? Ha local news is such a joke and I find it funny when people think they are gaining something from watching it. I knew it hit a new low when they started having contests for the 10th caller to win stuff like Hannah Montana Tickets. WTF!? is that!??? Who calls those things on the radio or TV? It must work as they do it so much!

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 485
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareastsider tells it like it is. I didn't even know who Hannah Montana was until she came into town and sparked some kind of feeding frenzy.

Hockey_player

Post Number: 403
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The media gives the public what it clamors for. If the public showed as much interest in the legislative process, or the value of the dollar vs. other currencies, as they do in Hannah Montana, then the news would be tailored towards that.

What you see on the news reflects more on the intelligence and interests of the people watching it than on the programmers. Their sole job is to draw more viewers by giving them what they have clearly demonstrated they want, as indicated through feedback, phone calls and letters.

If they went to an all-hard-news format, ratings would plummet in this city.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 473
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very true, Hockey_player.

They'd plummet everywhere. I used to work in TV news (and yes, am a bit jaded) however, I also understand it's a business. The same rules to some degree apply to the mainstream of online - the most base and banal calls to action and stories are consistently more popular.

One of the reasons I like working in the online space is that you can reasonably serve niches because the costs and distribution models are different - and you can do in-depth conversations and make it financially work.

Wonderfully, unlike ten years ago, there are now plenty of options to get all kinds of media.

If you want a steady diet of mostly hard news with the time to go in depth, go to NPR or WDET. Or, get yourself an iPod Nano (or, just download iTunes to get started, you don't even need an iPod) and subscribe yourself for free to the slew of podcasts out there from BBC, CBC, NPR, APM, and lots of independent outlets. And don't forget to leave your donation for their hard work or support their sponsors.

Every day, I have a full day (if not more) of all of the kind of news and talk content I'm interested in from globalization ( http://www.globalbusinesspersp ectives.com and http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldserv ice/programmes/global_business .shtml ) to online culture ( http://www.cbc.ca/searchengine / and http://www.twit.tv/natn ) to business news ( http://marketplace.publicradio .org/episodes/show_rundown.php ?show_id=14 ) to technology ( http://www.twit.tv/ and http://reviews.cnet.com/8300-1 1455_7-10.html ). This is a sample of the 45+ programs I listen to in a week, for the most part, all intelligent and interesting and for the most part, stuff you will never, ever see on broadcast airwaves. And it's all automatically, through the joy of podcasting, downloaded to me and put on my iPhone. There are even communities around a lot of these shows, with forums, blogs, creating conversations and debates.

The sad fact is that most people don't care about insurance redlining in Detroit. Value of the dollar is discussed, but it's not going to happen on local or even in-depth in national tv news. It's too lofty of a concept for the american population - let me rephrase that - it's not that it's too lofty, it's that the mainstream doesn't care. If viewership didn't skyrocket with Anna Nicole coverage, it wouldn't of happened. But it does, because there is a lot of money to be made there.

But, as I said - there are options. TV News serves a valuable purpose - and does cover "hard" stories but has to, as someone else wisely said, "needs to bring people into the tent" and give reach to the masses to some of the important stories. It's for a different market who if you met them for drinks, their eyes would glaze over if you talked about currency strength and it's benefits and pitfalls. It's one of the reasons I post here instead of other boards.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 248
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure sure, whatever. Just don't forget that we media types are "evil" and devoid of ethics. And we provide safe harbor to the devil himself.

In fact, as a member of the liberal media, I freely volunteer my time to both the Radical Homosexual Agenda and the War on Christmas. Top that, Satan!

Clark1mt
Username: Clark1mt

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently some media member tried to talk to the jury before the verdict:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071221/NEW S04/71221029
(See the sidebar on the right)

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 168
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Treelock said:

Good thread writing is at once conversational, informed AND grammatically competent. Otherwise, you risk sounding like a mere crank.

I second that emotion. Happy Holidays everyone; I've enjoyed my first year on this forum.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really don't care about any of this. If I wanted to hear the news so bad, I could hear it through conversation, news over the net, or other sources. I don't need to watch some crazy news reporters trying to tell me something I could find out on my own for a paycheck.

Jt1

Post Number: 11105
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The media gives the public what it clamors for. If the public showed as much interest in the legislative process, or the value of the dollar vs. other currencies, as they do in Hannah Montana, then the news would be tailored towards that.

Where does the market research come from that shows people clamor for this garbage? Is it a case of people asking for it or te media giving people what they think they want.

Hockey_player

Post Number: 404
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Surveys, market studies, phone calls and letters from viewers.

The business is based on drawing more viewers to pump up numbers for advertisers. News outlets calibrate their output based exactly on what people want as indicated by the sources mentioned above. Their existence is based on providing exactly what the public wants, and they go to great lengths to determine that.

For every phone call or letter praising a hard-news approach, news outlets get 100 phone calls or letters begging for more Hannah Montana giveaways or Chuck Gaidica barbecues.

Same goes for print media, which is why garbage like Motor City Moms is promoted and expanded, while the business section, for example, is tucked at the back of section A. None of the suburbanites who constitute majority readership of the Freep or News gives a shit about Detroit, which is why - apart from an occasional foray into the city like the recent series called "Driving Detroit" - you can't find a damn thing about Detroit in either paper. People don't want it - therefore it's gone.

Without fail, the fluffier stuff gets the most positive feedback. The public indicates quite clearly what it prefers, and what you see on TV or read in the paper is an exact reflection of that.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2222
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hockey_player, blog writing is conversational."

Well good, then start a weblog...

This is a forum.

Lostlegumes
Username: Lostlegumes

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Clark--looks like it turned out a bit differently than that first story.

http://www.macombdaily.com/sto ries/122207/loc_n4001.shtml

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 413
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Treelock-

Post #247 is succinct and rational. Good points, all three.

Media is sensational, as that is what brings in the $$'s. After all, it is a business.

Jt1

Post Number: 11111
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HP - Thanks for the input. It is sad to hear that this is the stuff the most people want. If that is what the people want it makes sense the news gives it to them. It's just a shame that is what the public wants to hear.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.