Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » 7 Abandoned Wonders of America « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Saruthma
Username: Saruthma

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://weburbanist.com/2007/12 /18/7-more-abandoned-wonders-o f-the-world-amazing-american-a bandonments/

Nothing from Detroit on here, although we certainly have some ruins that would give these a run for their money.

What Detroit wonders would you nominate?

(Message edited by saruthma on December 19, 2007)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2163
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#2 on this list: http://weburbanist.com/2007/08 /30/urban-abandonments-part-tw o-7-more-deserted-wonders-of-t he-modern-world/

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 477
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ALL of Detroit? I dunno. MCS should definitely top one of these lists. Also, did they get permission to use Lowell's photo of the Hudson's implosion?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Charlottepaul.

george, I think that is a pic of the MCS on the page. The irony is that it's the only building on the page that hasn't fallen down or hasn't been demolished (yet).

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anything, their source IS DetroitYES, which is even more ironic.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Also, did they get permission to use Lowell's photo of the Hudson's implosion?"

That's a good question. I'm sure Lowell will come in here and answer that, but my guess is that as long as they listed him as the source and didn't claim it as their own, he probably wouldn't care.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 238
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BOOOOoooo on the whole city of Detroit concept, while they freely pick and choose parts NY. That monastery on Staten Island doesn't look like it holds up to MCS, much less the Packard plant.

I wish I knew about the Griffith Park zoo site when I was working in LA, though. That looks pretty cool.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11147
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd bet good bucks that they used MY picture of Slumpy, too.

Weird.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 970
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Noo Yawk has its own problems. The Fish Kill landfill on Staten Island is maybe the biggest garbage dump in the world, right inside one of the biggest cities on earth. Detroit proper doesn't even have a landfill that I know of, does it? ("Kill" isn't meant to be ironic in the name, it is the Dutch word for a creek. Lots of Dutch in the very early history of that City and State.)

When the Prof used to take the subway to the Bronx to see the Yankees, back in his own Noo Yawk days, we chilluns all knew that if you missed the stop for Yankee Stadium the smart money said stay on the train until it turned around and came back. Plenty of trouble in the Big Apple, we don't have a monopoly on that.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 479
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's an abandoned boat yard near Fresh Kills that so huge you can see it from space. Always wanted to go check it out.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4373
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great, they stole my photographs too.

They also missed Efes and Chernobyl.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 803
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

copyright infringement by how many views?
I would wait awhile then go after them.
Kind of like when musicians go after someone after their song tops out on the charts.

Jonnyfive
Username: Jonnyfive

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is that place called Fresh Kills? Thats worse than Hell, MI.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 480
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of New Yorkers were shaking their heads when the debris from the WTC site had to get sent there. But as Professorscott points out, Kills means "creek" in this case.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11148
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That wasn't my picture of Slumpy, the torn-down plywood isn't at angles on the first floor.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5945
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The two creeks or water passageways around Staten Island both have the Dutch word "KILL" in them.

One is the Arthur Kill, which runs west of Staten Island. The other is the Kill Van Kull, which runs north of Staten Island.

Clark1mt
Username: Clark1mt

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell: They didn't miss Efes because they were focusing on modern abandonment.

And they listed Pripyat (Chernobyl) on the first edition of that list:
http://weburbanist.com/2007/08 /08/urban-abandonments-7-deser ted-wonders-of-the-postmodern- world/

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And on the subject of Fresh Kills there's a rather impressive plan laid out by the office Field Operations (http://www.fieldoperations.net /) to turn it into one of New York's largest parks. http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub _your_park/fresh_kills_park/ht ml/fresh_kills_park.html

It'd be interesting to see something along the lines of their work in some of Detroit's abandoned places. There would be a lot to work from with some of the interesting landscapes that exist. Perhaps a mix of preservation and re-integration.

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 344
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it's gone now, but I thought Sinai Hospital was fascinating. It didn't look abandoned except for the parking lot. It would "leave one dumbfounded".

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4328
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't that Lowell's photo of the Seven Sisters too?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4200
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice link, Elsuperbob. Hopefully that sets a precedent for the re-use of other landfill sites.

How long until Michigan imports New York City trash? Their trash already makes it to Virginia.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 395
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone,

As some of you may know from my past posts, I am from Staten Island, NY, and have lived their my entire life, except for when I went to college and law school.

As Gistok mentions, the word "Kill" comes from a Dutch word. The landfill was called the Fresh Kills landfill, because the Fresh Killl runs through it. The landfill has not received garbage since 2000, and again, as Gistok said, the plan is to turn the landfill into a huge amount of parkland over the next 30 years. If completed, it will be a fabulous reclamation project.

Also, for those of you who have never been to Staten Island, while there are some pockets of abandoned, interesting places on the island, the island is the fastest growing part of New York City by percentage of population growth, and has been for much time. There is an incredible amount of new development, both commercial and residential, and that will only continue growing for the coming years. Abandonment is an exception.

Also, in response to Professorscot's implication that if you get off the train in the Bronx, you will be hurt: New York City, and the South Bronx in particular, have made great inroads during the past twenty years. I would suggest you visit again some time soon.

Despite a growing population of over 8 million, New York City is on track for less than 500 murders this year, an amazingly low rate compared to other cities.

Lastly, I hope to photograph the abandoned boat area soon. If I do, I will make sure to share the photographs with those interested.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5970
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the post Cman710. In regards to the Bronx, it has the largest concentration of Art Deco apartment buildings in America, mainly along the Grand Concourse Ave. The Bronx is making headway from its' rough past.

One of the bright new gems in the Bronx is the restoration of the Loew's Paradise Theatre on the Grand Concourse. This impossibly wonderful Italian Renaissance atmospheric theatre is possibly movie palace architect John Eberson's greatest achievement. With all that there is to look at inside this extremely opulent theatre, it's a wonder that anyone ever saw the movie!

I haven't been to Staten Island since 1984, and I knew that it's wide open spaces would one day boom with new construction. I remember driving along the Fish Kill dump back then (when it was still open) and marvelling at the huge hills. Turning them into parkland will indeed be awesome. Plus there is no better way to get to Manhattan that via the Staten Island Ferry.

Staten Island also has one of the greatest bridges in the world connecting it. The Verrazzano Narrows Bridge, which connects it to Brooklyn over New York Harbor is America's longest single span bridge.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1801
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is nice to see that other states and cities have blight too. LA really surprised me given the value of the real estate out there.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you mean this boatyard in NY????

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 486
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toolbox: yeah, I've been dying to go there. Ranks with MCS as one of the greatest American abandonments IMO

Cman710

Post Number: 396
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is the same boatyard. The ships do not appear to still be as densely packed, but there still are still many of them (there are several more further south, closer to the Outerbridge Crossing).

I live about three minutes from the site, and actually just noticed it the other day, since I was driving along and the trees now have no leaves. Believe it or not, it's not that easy to see, as a junkyard that owns the nearby property has most of the stretch fenced with an iron fence. The area near the boatyard not abandoned at all, though it is very close to a highway. The area on the block immediately near the boat-yard is commercial, but there are some residences and an old cemetery nearby. From what I have been told, there is an LST that participated in the Normandy invasion at the boatyard.

I am hoping to get out with my camera soon and take some pictures. Unfortunately, most places from which you could take good photos are on private property (the junkyard) and fenced, so my access may be limited and may depend on the niceness of the people working there. I am not sure how that photographer got so close to all the ships, unless she took a small boat and went in close.

For the Bird's Eye View, go here: http://maps.live.com/default.a spx?v=2&cp=qrsdsg8tfqhd&style= o&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-10 00&scene=8213387&encType=1

Cman710

Post Number: 397
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not that many of you probably care, but the red arrow points to roughly where I live. The blue arrow points to the location of the boat yard.

si

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 821
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we ALL care Cman. We are glad you still care about Detroit.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 491
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cman, looks like you could access it from the foot of Rossville Ave. Might require a walk through some thick brush but it looks open from there to the water, where you could then cut over to the boatyard. Let us know if you get in.

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 328
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone seen the Book "Ghostly Ruins?" http://www.bordersstores.com/s earch/title_detail.jsp?id=5602 1170&srchTerms=ghostly+ruins&m ediaType=1&srchType=Title
It has several Detroit selections, including Brush Park and the MCS.

Cman710

Post Number: 398
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gsgeorge. You're right. To the immediate east of Rossville, there's an old cemetery that is open to the public that would give initial access. I am not sure what kind of brush there is and whether it's safely passable, but I am going to try to go and take a look soon (perhaps tomorrow, if I get time). I will go just with camera in hand the first time and check out the situation.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.