Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Turkey Grill « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 609
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been passing this spot for years and finally stopped in. Very unique menu with a variety of dishes that feature turkey. Tonight I ordered the turkey meatloaf which comes with greens and baked macaroni and cheese. A little hotsauce (it is not needed as the food is spiced) and I was good to go. The portions were large enough for me to eat half (probably have the rest for lunch).The menu featured turkey wings; drums; pitas; sandwiches and whole turkeys smoked or fried.If youre starvin like marvin or hungrier than a mofo with a hankerin for a home cooked meal prepared with some soul, definately stop in at the Turkey Grill on Woodward. Cant miss it as it sits next to valueworld and has a big yellow sign. A must for all Detroitlovers. Great service and tables for dining in. Cool display case with packaged food from Louisiana; pictures; an old shoeshine machine antique.

(Message edited by Terryh on December 19, 2007)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11072
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They also make their own ice cream (I'm pretty sure). There is now a Turkey Grille on Belle Isle but I'm not sure if it is just summer hours.

Terryh

Post Number: 610
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a newspaper article framed on the wall which described the Belle Isle grill which was located behind the Zoo.

Terryh

Post Number: 611
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just noticed how many posts you have Jt1. 11702!Are you from Detroit? I currently live in Ferndale but will probably end up liveing in Detroit around the North End close to the Turkey Grill or New Center area by Mr.FOFOS on Second Ave.

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 285
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The chili is good.

While you are there, check out a smattering of pictures of the owner with local celebs.

If you don't like turkey, this isn't the place for you.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet, I must go try their FRIEND Turkey, because I have never had that type of Turkey before. Thanks for the great review and recommendation Terryh.

Arab_guyumich
Username: Arab_guyumich

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"FRIEND Turkey"...that's probably not a popular item in Kurdistan.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11073
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry - Yep, I live in the city but spend way too much time on the road for work (lots of time to post). Currently holed up in a hotel in the middle of nowhere right now.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 848
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mmmmm this sounds really good. I have never been there, but I have been told by coworkers that I must check it out. Good prices?

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1680
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We go to the Turkey Grill a few times a year. The food is ALWAYS decent and reasonable.
The Turkey Grill is open on Belle Isle in the summer months.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 117
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can also catch them at some of the Hart Plaza festivals--I like the big wings.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 181
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when was the last time you ate at fofo's?

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been to Mr Fofo's in years. The last time I went I had a huge pastrami sandwich that I shared with my wife.
And a slice of cake that was big enough for two people.
I used to get a big fish sandwich at the Fish Nook across the street but they are gone now.

Terryh

Post Number: 613
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yesterday. Actually I ate light before I went to the Turkey Grill. Wanted a sample.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure the Belle Isle Turkey Grill closed altogether a few years ago. Did it reopen?

Terryh

Post Number: 615
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Returned today. There wasnt any meatloaf left so the counterlady recommended the cajun drum-wing with two sides (stuffing and greens) bread and a small cup of dipping sauce. Delicious.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.