Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Piquette Square - Impact « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Diesel
Username: Diesel

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"*Piquette Square and Southwest Housing Solutions, Detroit: The developers will use a $1.7 million state brownfield tax credit to redevelop an industrial site on Piquette St. in Detroit that once housed the Studebaker Manufacturing Facility and the Detroit Artillery Armory. The project involves construction of a four-story building with 150 supportive housing units for homeless veterans and retail and commercial space. The project is expected to generate $20 million in capital investment and create 22 jobs. "

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20071218/U PDATE/712180448

Being in the construction industry I have come across this project and actually went through the pre-liminary drawings to propose a budget to construct. As an investor in the neighborhood where this project is to take place I have become concerned as to what impacts this development will have on the neighborhood.

The neighborhood - Milwaukee Junction is made up of an area that is rich in history including the original ford piquette plant. There are several residential neighborhoods and businesses in the area.

I believe the thinking behind this concept has good intentions (get homeless veterans off the street and train them to work in society) only I'm concerned that it could have negative effects on the neighborhood. (Image, property values, safety)

Maybe I'm way off base...

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2159
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Piquette--is this on the site of that big fire a few years ago across from Z's Villa and between the car dealership and the Old Ford Model T plant?

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 473
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It all depends on how it is developed. Street-side retail and a pocket park, underground/structure parking as opposed to surface parking.... or will it be another strip mall like the one in front of the Model T plant? No thanks. What were the renderings like?

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 653
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, I havent heard of this one...was this announced?

"
*FRBD LLC, Detroit: The developer will use a $1.3 million state brownfield tax credit to convert the historic Federal Reserve Building located at 160 W. Fort St. in Detroit's Central Business District into 84 one and two-bedroom apartments with retail and commercial space. The project is expected to generate more than $20.2 million in capital investment and create 12 jobs."

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4193
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's hard to hurt the image of that neighborhood.

There's enough gentrification across the way in midtown to support for an affordable-housing zone. Any use is good use.

Some very interesting other pieces of new on that link, including the mention of the Globe Building rehabilitation.

The one that Apbest points out will make the financial district more of a mixed-use area.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 250
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will be good for Daves Drive Inn, at Piquette and John R. Dave has been waiting for something to happen kitty corner from his restaurant

Diesel

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the site charlotte -

I think that a few of those projects mentioned may be a way from actual development. This project is slated to begin in the spring from what I've heard.

It's a 4 story building pretty plain design I believe there is surface parking if I remember correctly. The building is being built very close to the street and is a large U shaped building. At least the surface parking will be somewhat tucked away.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11070
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a site in that area that is prepped with utilities for new construction. Is that it or is it somewhere else?

Diesel

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That may be the Bio-diesel plant set for construction. This development is just south of that site.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2161
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While there are some apartment complexes a few blocks east of there on Piquette, seems to me Diesel that that site is not good at all for residential. I mean it is a VERY industrial area (major freight railroad tracks, industrial structures all around, a car dealership on the Woodward side). It might be one thing to convert an existing industrial bldg. to residential, but to build new res. from the ground up there seems as though there might be a better place to invest.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4196
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is not market rate housing.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 228
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any pictures of the West side of Woodward between Mack and Warren that they discuss in the article? Who's developing these buildings/theater?

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 459
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this is the one. 0%2C8.18836281965236,http://ma ps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=42.3 57402,-83.051534&spn=0.017918, 0.046949&z=15&om=0&layer=c&cbl l=42.350273,-83.059785&cbp=1,2 42.78455563142492,,0,8.1883628 1965236

Diesel

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not invested in this project. Sorry if there was some confusion there, I have an interest in the area and therefore I was interested in this project.

This project is already moving forward and is being developed by Southwest Housing.

Also I don't know if you realize but there is a large development that has been completed within the last couple of years by The Hubbel Group. This is kiddy corner to this projected development. This was a ground up project and very successful

(Message edited by diesel on December 18, 2007)

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 199
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Fabulous Studebaker Ruins:

http://gallery.mac.com/walkerp ub#100101

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.