Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » St. Albertus School - architect? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 143
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps someone could save me a trip to the Burton - not that I'd mind going, I'm just busy at this point.

The final and fanciest addition to St. Albertus School on E. Canfield, West of St. Aubin, was done c. 1917. Does anyone know who the architect was? Thanks.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 784
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here ya go,
St. Albertus School, SW corner St. Aubin and Canfield. Designed by architect Harry Hill in 1916, one of Detroit's largest parochial schools in its day.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~miway ne/polonia.html

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 144
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Lefty. I've never heard of Harry Hill, but further down on your URL, it mentions that the architect Harry Rill (whom I have heard of) designed St Hedwig's Church and St. Albertus School, so I suspect a slight misspelling.

Unless Harry Hill hightailed it out of town after designing the school, became a musical professor, and started selling band instruments in Iowa.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.