Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Intersting developments listed in the News « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11067
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20071218/U PDATE/712180448

State tax breaks lead to business expansion, jobs

Looks like a lot of cool things happening in AA. About half way down there are a lot of Detroit developments listed. Some I have heard about others I had not.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 780
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good to hear new biz, now if they would do it across the board for everyone it would be even better.

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I AM REALLY EXCITED ABOUT THIS PROPOSED DEVELOPMENT:

*North Woodward Garden Block Development, Detroit: A state brownfield tax credit valued at $2.2 million will support the development group revitalize a blighted block on the west side of Woodward between Mack and Warren in Detroit. The project involves the restoration of the Garden Theatre and the Blue Moon Building. The theater will be returned to its original use and the Blue Moon will house a new restaurant. A new, three-story building will be constructed with retail and commercial space. Plans also call for a 300-space parking garage. The project will generate $28.7 million in capital investment and create more than 200 jobs.

It is fantastic that they plan to restore an old theater and restore the Blue Moon Building. It would bring even more energy into "Midtown".

I hope they can get it done in this down economy.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4194
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://maps.live.com/default.a spx?v=2&cp=r1rg9m82bh1j&style= o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-10 00&scene=5646169&encType=1

I believe that's the block, and when that is in better shape it will create a bridge between the Max to the south and new developments to the north.

Speaking of that part of Woodward, wasn't the owner of Fishbones going to be building a restaurant north of Forest on the same side of the street?

Jt1

Post Number: 11069
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Speaking of that part of Woodward, wasn't the owner of Fishbones going to be building a restaurant north of Forest on the same side of the street?

I believe the plan is to build a restaurant where the 13th precinct (now Central) is, just North of to Detroit Artists Market

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 288
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've thought for a long time now that the Blue Moon complex was just brimming with possibility, especially sitting so close to the DMC and Majestic complex.

Jt1

Post Number: 11071
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think most of us thought that. On a side note - when is the city going to finish replacing the street lights on that stretch of Woodward?

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1504
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friend works for Southwest Solutions, which has one of the few occupied buildings in that block. She was told this summer that the city was buying them out and they would have to move, as the block is slated for redevelopment. As of today, her office is still in that block, but a move appears imminent.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4197
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's right, Jt1. I wonder when that will take shape and what it might look like.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4372
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This looks increasingly promising / interesting.

CCS will be splitting up its campus somewhat.

*Argonaut Campus Developer LLC, Detroit: The College for Creative Studies (CCS) will use a $10 million state brownfield tax credit and state and local tax capture valued at $11.2 million to transform the Argonaut Building located at 485 West Milwaukee Ave. in Detroit's New Center into a mixed-use campus for art and design education. General Motors Corp. will donate the Argonaut Building to CCS for the redevelopment, which will house CCS's new graduate programs, programs for middle and high school students, dormitory facilities for 261 students and studios. The development will include retail and office space for non-profit organizations and an incubator/accelerator for start-up businesses in design and creative industries. The project is expected to generate capital investment in excess of $120 million and create 200 jobs.

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This list of projects is very exciting to me. Having this type of financing secured is a significant step in the critical phase of financing for all the projects on the drafting board... I'm especially excited about CCS (seems like a bit of split campus, but an extended DPM or light rail on woodward would make it akin to a walk down the block :-)), the Federal REserve bldg into apartments, and another key step in saving the Globe building, one of the few remaining of the warehouse district. YES Detroit!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5932
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, the Garden Theatre... didn't even know it existed! Can't find any Google info on it.

Krawlspace or 56packman, any info on the Garden Theatre? Seating count? Pics?

This will make a nice addition to Detroit's Theatre District, which stretches from GCP to New Center, mainly along Woodward.

Based on Mackinaw's live search map, the theatre looks large enough, at least 500 seats. And like most Detroit theatre's... there is little indication that there is a theatre behind the office portion of the block (except by the usual marquee, which is missing on this building).

Gistok

Post Number: 5933
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My bad!

I found it... it was the former Sassy Cat Theatre (explains why I didn't recognize the Garden Theatre name), and originally opened in 1912 (C. Howard Crane, Architect), as a 903 seat theatre:

http://cinematreasures.org/the ater/2651/

It has a Beaux Arts style facade, and a garden style auditorium (semi-Atmospheric?).

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1670
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://waterwinterwonderland.c om/location.asp?ID=601&type=5

C. Howard Crane theater opened in 1912 and seated about 900.

I have always loved this building and never had a clue that it was once a theater.

Gistok

Post Number: 5934
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another jewel in the crown for Detroit's Historic Theatre District!

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What grat news! I have often wondered what would happen to that block.

Does anyone know who is behind this project?

And when it says the theater will return to its orignal use, does that mean live theater? What theater company?

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 369
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, they've really scaled that project down.

Its nice to see it moving forward, though. It was originally going to include a renovation of the 70 W Alexandrine building and a new "high rise" apartment/condo building.

I wonder if Zakoor is going to stay put or if they're moving out?

Gumby

Post Number: 1671
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe this is just phase 1 chris_rohn. Seems like it would be easier to get funding for non-residential stuff at this time with the market the way it is.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 229
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any current pictures of the West side of Woodward between Mack and Warren?

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it HAD all of those thing gistok. the inside is pretty much a gutted shell now. i used to go there for a while in the mid-nineties when it was an after hours club called "better days." it now pretty much a large room with a bar and brick walls. however, it was always extremely dark, so some details may have survived that i didn't notice. i think it went on to be other incarnations after that, but am not really sure.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 284
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need an f-ing steady job. I have been laid off 3 times since 2003; including just last Friday.

All three jobs were from ad agencies supporting Chrysler as their main client.

Do I have to move out of state to work on a non-automotive account?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1486
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh no, the sassy cat is getting classified? Where am I going to go to watch the latest in the 'Slutty Nurses' series?

They better not close the bookstore, it was the only one that had 'Drunk Chix' magazine!

Gistok

Post Number: 5936
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rsa, a 1912 theatre interior would be pretty tame anyway (compared to 1920's movie palaces). The National, Majestic and Garden Theatres all from 1910-15 were originally very conservative in their ornamental schemes.

So a modernized interior is not that great a loss for the Garden Theatre. What is great is that the Beaux Arts facade will likely be restored (to some semblence of its' original look), and the fact that another dark theatre space will be added to Detroit's growing theatre district.

The addition of the Garden Theatre would likely mean that the Midtown portion of the Theatre District will have about 12,000 seats (15,000 seats Downtown, and 2,000 in New Center).

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1505
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,

How do you arrive at the 12,000 seat number for Midtown?

Gistok

Post Number: 5937
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Masonic Temple Theatre 4,404
Masonic Scottish Rite Theatre 1,585
Bonstelle Theatre 1,200
Orchestra Hall 2,286
The Max Recital Hall 450
Majestic Theatre 1,565
Garden Theatre 900
Hillberry Theatre 550
DIA Theatre 1,200

How do you like that... I was short in my count... I know better than to do this in my head... the real count would be about 14,140 theatre seats in Midtown alone!

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are those seats in the Majestic?

Rsa

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just letting you know the condition of the interior; no atmospheric details, no seats, not really an auditorium. all of the seats have been removed and the floor has been pretty much leveled to be even and flat (to grade level).

Gistok

Post Number: 5938
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yooper, I haven't been in the Majestic in years, maybe someone who's been to a show there recently can answer where those seats are, or better yet... what they were sitting on.

Rsa, not surprised. I wonder if the main floor was leveled for use as a bowling alley at one time... a common reuse for old theatres. By the aerial view, it looks like the stage house is still there at least.

Rsa

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i wonder. it seems to me that the building might not be long enough to house a bowling alley and the competition from the (former two story) garden bowl might've been prohibitive. it might've just been commercial of some sort.

the majestic no longer has any fixed seats. you aren't even able to access the balcony (located above the restaurant portion). it is pretty much a bar and standing room performance space now.

Jt1

Post Number: 11078
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Majestic announced awhile back theat they intend to add a second seating deck (someone correct me if this is wrong). This will bring up the seat count.

Also, while small it looks like the theater in the lower level of the Hillberry was not counted in that total. Small but still a performance space.

Gistok

Post Number: 5942
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the ease of posting, I omitted all the really small performance spaces in Downtown and Midtown. Including them could easily add another thousand or so for downtown/midtown.

Thanks for the info on the Majestic Jt1!

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 426
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm guessing the the Reggae club "Trench town" is using the Garden Theater.

Gumby

Post Number: 1673
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have any old pictures of the Garden Theater? I am interested to see what has been removed over the years.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4587
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love to see pix of it as the Garden, or as the "Peek-a-rama". What a great name!

As I understand it, the Majestic was once used as an automotive photography studio, hence the leveled floor.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.