Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Snow & Ice Falling Off of Compuware Building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 472
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops - sounds like someone made a design error.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/local /story.aspx?content_id=ed37b3c e-7080-4841-8eb2-d8041704081d

They were reporting that they've "cordoned off" the sidewalk around Compuware because of this - seems like someone didn't think about melting snow and ice when they designed those ledges around the building. This might be an expensive post-build fix... so a shout out to any of the architects on the forum to chime in on this one.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2908
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it will be cheaper to just cordon off the sidewalk on the hand full of days this happens.

The building's been there about 5 years and this is the first time I've ever heard of them doing this. It's not like it's a daily occurrence.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2158
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ledges are everywhere. It's not a new design concept.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 183
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought I saw a ton of snow falling by the window! LOL surprised to see it make the news.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 402
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a very commonplace happening in cities such as New York, Chicago and Toronto. The snow /ice has got to go somewhere... All these cities do is rope off the areas during dangerous times.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think "Falling ice" is the least concern we have of falling matter off our buildings downtown.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2395
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You call that a design error? Try dodging falling glass like those folks had to do outside of the new New York Times building a couple of weeks ago...

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1539
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, most tall buildings in Chicago have most of their "public square"-type spaces roped off while snow is melting, if not all winter. At the very least, they all have signs saying "Danger: Falling Ice"

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5931
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good thing they didn't put up that carport roof on the Compuware Building... else they might have had avalanches! :-)

Speaking of building problems, few office buildings have had as many problems as the 790 ft. John Hancock Tower in Boston. Back in the 1970's after it first opened, the wind had the nasty habit of popping out the floor-to-ceiling glass window panels.

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is normal. When Gehry's building at Case Western opened, the School of Management, it was prone to avalanches due to the curves and smoothness of the surfaces before that was solved. It was also so reflective that standing next to it in bright sunlight was like tanning with a tanning mirror.

And apparently Gehry didn't learn because the Disney Concert Hall was so reflective that it was a nuisance for neighbors and had to be sanded down after the fact.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3835
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Speaking of building problems, few office buildings have had as many problems as the 790 ft. John Hancock Tower in Boston. Back in the 1970's after it first opened, the wind had the nasty habit of popping out the floor-to-ceiling glass window panels.

Now THAT was a major design flaw. Lots of remedial work was required to put a permanent fix to the problem. There was an article on it a few months ago in Modern Steel Construction, I believe (or was it "Structure"?). I'll have to dig it up.

quote:

This is normal. When Gehry's building at Case Western opened, the School of Management, it was prone to avalanches due to the curves and smoothness of the surfaces before that was solved. It was also so reflective that standing next to it in bright sunlight was like tanning with a tanning mirror.

And apparently Gehry didn't learn because the Disney Concert Hall was so reflective that it was a nuisance for neighbors and had to be sanded down after the fact.

Gehry is a shit architect, end of story. As long as the building looks like his favorite ball of crumpled paper, he's happy. I don't know why people continue to hire this guy. At least the DC Fine Arts Commission had the balls and good sense to reject his proposed addition to the Corcoran.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.