Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Sledding in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 844
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to be hosting a couple of my younger cousins this week. I was hoping to take them outside for a little fun on the hills. The only problem is, there are no hills near my Lafayette Park home!

Where can we find some fun, public hills in the detroit/inner-ring areas?

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The hill at Balduck Park. Off Chandler Park, south/west of Morross. http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/re creation/centers/map/balduckma p.htm

(Message edited by jfried on December 17, 2007)

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, BALDUCK! MY PARENTS USED TO TAKE US THERE

Detroitinmyheart
Username: Detroitinmyheart

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to just do bumper rides . That was sledding in the hood.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 480
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey DetroitStar, there is an outstanding sledding hill on Hines Drive

http://www.waynecounty.com/par ks/seasonal.htm
"...Sledding: The Cass Benton Area of Hines Park offers the best hills for sledding. These rolling hills start at Sheldon Road in the City of Northville following the Rouge River Valley to Six Mile Road in Northville Township. Enhancements made to this area from the millage include handrail installations and improved parking. Sledding is also available along Hines Drive near Inkster Road and at Middlebelt Hill [Hines Drive betwen Merriman and Inkster Roads]."

Well run, family fun time.

In the late afternoon they close Hines Drive and turn on the lights for a pretty "wow" light show. They close off about 5 miles of Hines drive and set out huge lighting displays. I think it cost 5 - 10 bucks a carload.

Hence you could make a day/early evening of Hines Drive and really impress the kiddies. I can assure you they have never seen five miles of flying Santas, spinning dredals, and reindeer humping on eachother.

The

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 774
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Balduck is the place to go.
the ruts are still there from the old toboggan runs.
Q10a. What is the name of the last City-owned park or recreation center that you or other members of your household have visited within the last 12 months? The most cited parks the respondents last visited were, in descending order: Belle Isle
(175 mentions), Palmer Park (11), Balduck (7), and Rogue Park (7)

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take them to Balduck and then go down to Lafayette or American Coney Island for a late lunch. That was always a Christmas tradition in my family. As a suburban-born kid it was always so exciting to me to do something IN the city.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There used to be a good sized hill built up in Rouge Park, on Joy Rd. behind the old mounted police unit stables, just east of the Outer Drive bridge. Since the kid is almost 28 now, I have no idea if it is still open.

Carm
Username: Carm

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We took our boys and their friend to Balduck this afternoon. They had a great time and didn't want to leave. It was nice to see so many people out there having fun.

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 159
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hell yeah! I used to go to rouge park when I was little. The Cass Benton hill is nice too, though.

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 150
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oak park park is good 2

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rouge is where we used to go. There are other hills in that park as well S of Joy along Spinoza. I am unsure if the big hill along Outer Drive is covered over or not.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 355
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second Cass Benton and Hines. The Hines hill is just east of Middlebelt and the Cass Benton hill is also on Hines just north of where it jogs at Five Mile. Get there soon as they will certainly be wearing the snow off the hillsides soon!

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 833
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Balduck has been the place to go sledding...at least for Eastsiders for well over 50 years. The toboggan runs were great fun in the 40's & 50's...but dangerous as hell.

Gnome

Post Number: 483
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

did a little search on Balduck and discovered:

BALDUCK, REMI A.
Citation:
The President of the United States takes pride in presenting the Navy Cross (Posthumously) to Remi A. Balduck (294042), Corporal, U.S. Marine Corps, for extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty while serving with Company G, Second Battalion, Seventh Marines, FIRST Marine Division, during action against enemy Japanese forces on Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands, on 9 November 1942. Although he was only a squad leader, Corporal Balduck, as virtual spearhead of his platoon, urged the men to initiate a successful rout of the enemy during a frontal attack in which strong Japanese positions were encountered and an envelopment from the right flank was contemplated. In spite of a fatal wound sustained during the course of the engagement, Corporal Balduck valiantly carried on to the last, throwing a hand grenade as he fell. His relentless fighting spirit, maintained with utter disregard of personal safety, was in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.
SPOT AWARD, Commander, South Pacific: Serial 00232 (February 11, 1943)
Born: March 30, 1918 at Detroit, Michigan
Home Town: Detroit, Michigan

Clermont
Username: Clermont

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we used to go to derby hill, where they also held the soap box derby races, on outerdrive / 7 mile and mound.

Gnome

Post Number: 525
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DetroitStar-

So, where did you decide to go, and did you have a good time?

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 861
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We went to Balduck, and they could not have been more thrilled! I think I might have to go back there, kids in tow or not!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.