Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Funny video City Kids! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 732
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ih5BFr-qinY&search=Detroit%20 Kids
cool old and new aerial morphs at about 3:20

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 3:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I am the director of that video. It has been linked from this forum before so I don't know if this thread will be deleted. Here is a later version of the same video with a different mix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =o_lci3KcKKc

Also, our video called "Swamp Pt. 2" is shot in prominent Detroit locations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =g8shEjx7KWw

There are better-quality versions of these videos at http://www.unibrows.com (and also we have albums).

Thanks for watching!

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great stuff Hunchentoot!

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very creative I really liked the videos.

Username: 1805

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee... yeah, hiding your stereo's faceplate while parked by the Magic Stick is entirely indicative of suburban naivete -- do that and see what happens. I'm sure when you shot that scene for the video that a pile of glass laid somewhere in view.

Don't get me wrong, I understand there's a demographic of suburbanites who pretentiously claim the city and irrationally react to stereotypes, etc. It's an easy target. But when you overly satirize these people what you do is indirectly diminish the reality of the city's problems. For the sake of the song/video, there's an oversimplification painting things black/white, when that's just as naive and stereotypical as the group you're mocking.

The song implies that I'm paranoid for hiding my stereo's faceplate when by the Magic Stick? My car's been broken into over there while the faceplate was REMOVED, so I guess it was "irrational"... and I live in the city.

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 193
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great Video!!

Hauntedbeat
Username: Hauntedbeat

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, I was sad when that ended.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you pay the guy at 2:57 to be in the vid and take your wallet?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1194
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The second video reminds me of Devo in the 80s.

Hunchentoot

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 4:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a dirty secret that in addition to this being our little music video, it also was turned in as one of my video projects when attending WSU. So Donny Wilson, who steals Paul's wallet, was in my class at the time. You can see my reflection in the People Mover doors. That's my... uh... cameo.

Hunchentoot

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 5:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bad stuff happens, crime problems are real, and one should be mindful of this, but I know numerous people who refuse to set foot within the city limits or behave as though crossing 8 Mile triggers some kind of Indiana-Jones series of booby traps, and that is worthy of mockery even though crime is a serious problem.

Our humor here is not only an exaggeration and simplification of reality, but also includes sincere self-mockery. We both now live in the city (this video was made shortly after Paul moved here more than two years ago and I am a newcomer as of October) and we're not immune to the problems of the city because we made a cheesy music video about it. Although it was a pain in the ass when, shortly after making this video, my car was stolen (in Hamtramck), I find it apt and humorous that it was my blue Olds that appeared in this video, including its salty faceplate. I now keep my car empty of belongings, stick my The Club on the wheel when I park and even do the business with the faceplate.

it's my position that taking the complexities of the real circumstances and unfairly polarizing them is what makes for the funny here, otherwise we'd be trying to create a kind of even-handed documentary piece, which is harder to put to electronic polka music.

I appreciate your thoughtful criticisms.

Username: 1805

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheers.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 466
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, funny video!

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 195
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Often times, people take things far too seriously, myself included, but this shit is FUNNY!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1744
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i know donny! fellow wsu productioneer.

Hunchentoot

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell him Paul wants his wallet back.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.