Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » MegaBus « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 664
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I am riding the megabus for the first time tomorrow? You can't beat the price. Any horror stories? what do you guys think of it?

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 465
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anything that gets you from point A to point B for like $10 is fine with me, I don't care how long it takes. Let us know what you think. I wouldn't expect it to be the most comfortable ride ever but you'll get to wherever you're going (Chicago?).

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 665
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yup, chi town, Any suggestions of places to see? I have only been there twice and I was younger. goin round trip for 2.50 is possibly the best deal in town.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2148
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother was to ride it from Grand Circus to Chicago last winter. The bus was on time, but the heat didn't work. The driver made it as far as Ann Arbor before giving up. Other than that, my mother said that it was fine.

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 136
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Always a pleasant trip and takes less time than Greyhound!

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 467
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definitely just take a walk around the loop. Millenium Park and Grant Park should be pretty cool this time of year. I like going up in the John Hancock Bldg for the best views. Take the L to Wicker Park/Ukranian Village for some cool neighborhood sights and shopping. Goose Island Brewery is worth a visit too and is open for tours on Sundays, might want to make a reservation.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1536
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tips from those in the know...Don't bother going to the Hancock observatory. Go up to the Signature Lounge on the 95th floor for free. Get a few drinks. Yes, the food and drinks are VERY pricey, but so is the admission to the observatory. Might as well have a few drinks with your view for the same price.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 502
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're staying overnight and you like the "Blues", Big Time Sarah and the BTS Express are on stage at Blue Chicago @ 536 N. Clark St. A couple of other good clubs on the north side are Kingston Mines @ 2548 N. Halsted St. and B.L.U.E.S. @ 2519 N. Halsted St.

Detroitpharmstudent
Username: Detroitpharmstudent

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Megabus is great. I take it to visit my sister in Chicago when I go. It doesn't take much longer than the train, and for a fraction of the price. Maybe a little more cramped than Amtrak, but I don't mind. Its real convenient.

***ALSO - everyone should know that for the first part of 2008, you can get FREE tickets on Megabus by typing in the promotional code "WIN2008". I know free isn't much cheaper than $10 but hey.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We took it last July and had no problems. We hit some major traffic on I-95 once we got into the city, but our arrival was actually a few minutes earlier than the train was scheduled to arrive, so take that how you will.

Few interesting people on the bus, but very peaceful overall. We'd do it again, for sure.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 470
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Focusonthed, it's either $12 for observation deck admission or $12 for a martini. Take your pick.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1537
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you can guess my pick ;)

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 367
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Megabus was great, I'd ride it again.

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 171
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My cousin lives in Chicago and comes to Detroit about once every two months. He takes Megabus every time and has never had a problem.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the Megabus didn't waste its time stopping at Wayne State and at a mid-way point for 45 minutes....it would be almost as quick (and definitely cheaper than driving) There doesn't seem to be a great way to get from the train station in Chicago to any other form of mass transit, however.....especially when you are lugging around heavy luggage, but perhaps someone else knows better?

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1618
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IN Chicago, lots of the major CTA bus lines run past Union station. And the Orange/Green/Brown/Purple Line is only a few blocks away.

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, in the commuter part of Union Station where the Megabus lets off, there is a machine to buy daily Cta passes. There is a lot of bus service by Union Station, as stated. You can take it to the el.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1619
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you go to the CTA website, you can buy visitor passes online, for however many days you are going to be there. They will mail them ot your house so you don't have to deal with buying them when you get there.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1538
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's about a 5 minute walk from Union Station to the Quincy El stop. It's even closer to the Clinton stop on the Blue Line. Or, as mentioned, take a bus. The 151 or 156 are particularly good choices, should you be headed into the Loop, or north.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2149
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Union Station is primarily used for traveling into Chicago from outside of the city. The loop (to access most of the city trains in Chicago) is several blocks away from Union Station. You have to cross the river, pass the Sears tower, then walk a few more blocks down and over as I recall.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 186
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I take it all the time. Never had a problem...for the most part.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the first I've heard of the megabus. How does one get a ticket for it? Does the megabus have a website?

Thanks

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

crumbled_pavement:

http://www.megabus.com/us/

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Detroitrise!

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 222
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad they don't get off at US 12 at Saline and go that route. Big bus on that windy two-laner! Hell yeah! That's the makings of a Wes Craven movie!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.