Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Rodriguez is Michigan's new football coach! « Previous Next »
Archive through December 17, 2007Jonesy30 12-17-07  12:20 am
Archive through December 17, 2007El_jimbo30 12-17-07  1:32 pm
Archive through December 17, 2007Thejesus30 12-17-07  4:25 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 925
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why dont you guys meet down at Bookies and discuss this. Its starting to get old.

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You interview out of respect. Take a look at your inside guys first, then you go out.

Just by the way they were interviewed showed that they weren't serious candidates. They were interviewed quickly in the search yet with no forthcoming offer. Schiano, Rodriguez (and depending on who you believe, Miles) were all tendered offers soon after the interview. But not Debord or English

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4188
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Higgs, I kind of like your second paragraph. It is truly ironic. I'm looking at this from a cynical standpoint, but Mary Sue's rhetoric has shaped the campus climate to such an extent, and then, she gets involved in the coaching search, but apparently without any regard for "diversity." Her top choice, we are all told, was Ferentz. She put cronyism above anything high-minded.

And if you guys want to play this game: aren't Hispanics under-represented minorities???

Umstucoach

Post Number: 145
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Black Coaches Association doesn't consider Rodriguez a minority because they state he doesn't consider himself a minority.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3057
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Black Coaches Association doesn't consider Rodriguez a minority because they state he doesn't consider himself a minority."

Which is also completely irrelevant since the object is to hire the best person for the job, regardless of whether they're a minority or not a minority or don't consider themselves a minority or the Black Coaches Associates doesn't consider them a minority or...

anyway, the Affirmative Action advocates can all go to hell...a worthy candidate was given the job, and people of sound mind don't care that he's a minority...we just care that he's a proven winner

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2794
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I said El_Jimbo you all are transparent. You claim to have wanted a civil discussion yet you use terms like Dick Rod and dick(you seem to like that word) in an obvious attempt to demean......... a great example of your transparency.

As I said every damn one of you would have loved it had state hired Rodriguez. I like Dantonio. But to make the claim that Rodriguez is a ho hum hire is just a lie and has no credibility.

To respond to the basketball situation; yes I blame Goss. He should have instituted a national search.At the time M basketball could have maintained a level mcuh higher than it has now. But an established coach would have seen to that. My guess is Goss a loyal AD was thinking in 1970's terms and simply promoted an assistant. Either way us M basketball fans have been suffering a long time.........as I said I think Beiline is the right guy.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 261
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

But to make the claim that Rodriguez is a ho hum hire is just a lie and has no credibility.

Oh climb down off the high horse for a second will ya? At best he was the third choice...if you count interviews of English and DeBord, he was could have been 5th choice overall. Again, they had actually hired Schiano...he walked away! Had he not, there'd be no discussion of Rod. Is it that hard to see why there could be some "ho-hum" from the peanut gallery about his hiring?

UM people would have never let State live down a third choice hire after an embarrassing search. Especially with the rejection like Schiano’s. The clock was ticking, UM was looking more and more lost. Martin grabbed a guy in order to stop the hemorrhaging. For you to say otherwise is a lie.

Another question to ask is why the f' is UM in this situation in the first place? Why did Carr, if it was his intention all year, retire AFTER the last game, but BEFORE the bowls? Nice way to hamstring any search. How about announcing at the beginning of the year? how is that MORE of a distraction than this mess? It's not like Carr was going to be fired and he had to get out in front of it.

Citylover

Post Number: 2795
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who says he was third choice? You? What the hell do you know? Maybe they had five number one choices.........maybe they changed their thinking and expanded their parameters. Maybe he was the number one choice all along

The fact is you(and I) don't know. What I know is you are obviously envious that in the end Mich hired a coach with a great rep.

Not one media member local or national has said anything other then this being a great catch for Michigan.. I can see right thru you..........transparent.

Higgs1634

Post Number: 262
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, considering Miles was anointed as heir apparent, until LSU locked him up. Then, UM HIRED SCHIANO...the math isn’t that difficult. Miles signed at LSU, Schiano walked away. What choice do you say he is?

quote:

Not one media member local or national has said anything other then this being a great catch for Michigan.. I can see right thru you..........transparent.

L-bomb's column wasnt exactly a glowing endorsement, so the biggest M slappy in the press corps around here seems to think it's a ho hum hire. Or is he just being transparent?

Quite frankly, it's amazing you can see anything through those thick Maize and Blue glasses you have on.

(Message edited by higgs1634 on December 17, 2007)

Thejesus

Post Number: 3059
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^yeah this third choice nonsense is silly...if we'd known he was available three weeks ago, he'd have been the easy first choice, hands down...at least among the fans and alumni...

Miles would have been a close second but would be risky since he's still coasting on the recruiting and systems that were put in place by Saban...not like Rodriguez who turned his program into a winner

Higgs1634

Post Number: 263
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What changed in three weeks? Why was he any less available then?

Higgs1634

Post Number: 264
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Rodriguez who turned his program into a winner

And as soon as he turned his alma mater into a contender he bolts for a big paycheck and greener pastures.

No one at UM sees a problem with this?

Thejesus

Post Number: 3060
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he wasn't less available then, apparently...we just didn't know about it...

I'm not sure how closely you follow college football, but it's widely known that he signed a contract extension last year, is from the state of WV and went to school and played football at WV...

many of us figured him for a lifer...

Thejesus

Post Number: 3061
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"No one at UM sees a problem with this?"

nope. we're the beneficiaries of his decision, and we're far less likely to lose a coach to the NFL or another school like WVU or MSU is...you don't have to like that that's the way it is, but our coaches tend to stay until they retire (or do something stupid and get fired like Moeller)

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 992
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"At best he was the third choice..."

Why does that matter? Tressel was Ohio States 3rd choice. Pete Carroll wasn't SC's first choice. Do you think anyone a OSU is wishing that Glen Mason would have accepted the job?

They're schools that hire their first choice and that coach turns out to be a failure and is fired three to four years later. Who says that a colleges first of second choice is the best choice and somehow means that 3rd/4th choice is a lesser quality coach?

(Message edited by rjk on December 17, 2007)

Higgs1634

Post Number: 265
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Follow it enough to question the spin on this hire.

Quotes from after he signed the extension.

""Rodriguez decided he couldn’t walk away from his college alma mater, not even for a reported six-year, $12 million offer from Alabama.

“It’s all about the reasons for staying. West Virginia University and Morgantown and this place are the reasons that I am staying.”

http://www.timeswv.com/local/l ocal_story_343024225.html

"He said he will put down roots, plans on the Michigan being his last job and to retire with the Wolverines." - From Today's Freep.

When do you believe him? Didn't take much to sway him from a school he had such deep ties with and they were one win from being in the national title game.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4189
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes you have to make tough decisions. It's difficult, but unreasonable, for someone to leave their home city, even if it's a great city, to work somewhere else. Some people are flexible. Some people recognize great opportunities. Should we label them as blindly ambitious?

You can easily put this in everyday terms. Would you be pissed at someone from Detroit who could take the same job in either New York or Detroit and chose NY? People have their own internal preferences that just can't be assessed. I'm sure Rodriguez has a well-articulated justification for what he has done, and if it makes sense to him, why should we second-guess him?

It's hard to think he would bolt. Winning in the present day at the school with the winningest history in college football pretty much puts you on top of the football world. Michigan is as well-heeled as any other place, so if he's successful, that rules out the possibility of him being bought. If he leaves down the road to go back to his roots, I would totally understand it. You don't sign you're life over when you take a job, just like you don't have to be committed to living in one place your whole life (nor is it advisable).

In the course of events, I agree he was UM's third choice. The sequence of events speaks for itself. He's a top candidate, though, and it's funny how quickly peoples' views can change...we find out that he's bringing amazing recruits and will adapt his innovative offense to his new context. I think we'll find out that he is the best person UM could have gotten.

Let's just acknowledge the uniqueness of this situation, and the irony. The Michigan Man who was the first choice decided to stay in the place that he has come to love. An outsider was wooed instead, and he know appears poised to jump in feet-first and become a Michigan man.

Trying to argue for the idea that Michigan has failed just because it didn't get its first two choices is nonsensical, and this will bear itself out on the field with some astonishing results.

Rjk

Post Number: 993
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's had a strained relationship with the WV AD over funding for the football program, that's no secret. UM's football budget is twice that of WV's.

A person can love their spouse and end up hating them a year later and want a divorce. It certainly is possible that RR loved coaching at WV and wanted to finish out his career there, but irreconcilable difference between him and the administration made it impossible for him to stay in WV.

There's nothing hypocritical about his two statements. A lot can change over the course of a year.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 566
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why did Carr, if it was his intention all year, retire AFTER the last game, but BEFORE the bowls? Nice way to hamstring any search. How about announcing at the beginning of the year?

And how exactly would recruiting have gone in that scenario?

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 453
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citylover,

I never implied that Rodriguez was a ho hum coaching choice. His resume speaks for itself. However, anyone with ANY football knowledge will see that Michigan is taking a risk by bringing him in. He is the total opposite of EVERYTHING Michigan has publicly stood for in terms of its football program. He comes in with a different offense and defense that already have examples of failure in the Big Ten. He may very well have a fabulous career at Michigan. Chances are, that will be the case. However, only the most foolish will refuse to see that the potential to go the opposite way (ala Nebraska) doesn't exist.

Thejesus

Post Number: 3062
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When do you believe him? Didn't take much to sway him from a school he had such deep ties with and they were one win from being in the national title game."

Dude I just don't understand what your point is. You seem to be saying that football programs should only hire coaches that absolutely 100% won't leave. Sorry, but such a coach doesn't exist. You think Dantonio is going to be at State forvever? Fat chance. There's always a CHANCE a coach will leave. In Michigan's case, it's just far less of a chance than most programs. Most jobs in college football and stepping stones to a destination...Michigan, otoh, is one of the few destinations...

El_jimbo

Post Number: 454
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TJ,

In most cases, you are absolutely correct. A coach who gets hired at Michigan will want to STAY at Michigan. However, guys like Rodriguez and Saban will ALWAYS be chasing after the next big payday and the next opportunity to get a bigger contract. If he has success at Michigan, don't be surprised if he tries to work that into a bigger contract or go someplace that will pay him the bigger contract.

I honestly think you've let a snake into your midst. However, I give him 3-5 years tops at Michigan. Either he will fall flat on his face and get fired or he will leave for another position that will pay him more money.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4191
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, if you're winning and beloved at Michigan, where else would you want to be? And who will outbid Michigan if they want to keep him?

You have absolutely no evidence to demonstrate his alleged snakiness except your gut desire to rain on someone else's parade.

Thejesus

Post Number: 3067
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^yep...they just don't get it...and probably never will

Citylover

Post Number: 2796
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I give him 3-5 years tops at Michigan. Either he will fall flat on his face and get fired or he will leave for another position that will pay him more money" .............a quote from el_jimbo

Nope that doesn't sound bitter or look transparent at all jimbo. A well thought asssessment of um's new football coach.............forgive me, nothing personal but you gotta be quite simple minded to believe any one would buy this crap.

Thejesus

Post Number: 3070
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^it's not his fault...3-5 years is what MSU fans are accustomed to for a head coach's tenure

they either hire someone who is too good for their program who ends up leaving for greener pastures, or they hire someone who is not good enough who ends up getting fired

El_jimbo

Post Number: 455
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw,

No evidence? Just look back at how he handled the situation with Alabama last year. The way he used that offer to weasel more money out of West Virginia.

Look at what he said just a year ago. this is an excerpt from and MSNBC article from last year.

But he also had lifelong ties to West Virginia, growing up about 30 minutes from campus. Rodriguez said he plans “on being here a long time.”

“There weren’t many reasons not to go. It’s all about the reasons for staying,” Rodriguez said. “I’m biased, this is my school. I think it’s a great place to raise a family. We’ve always had a great athletic tradition.”

How does one go from that to leaving that very same school a year later and not be considered a snake? He said all the right things he needed to say in order to get his pay raise and then bolted anyway.

As far as who will outbid Michigan? Let's face it, Michigan has a history of underpaying its head coaches. As of January of this year, Lloyd Carr was making less money than 25 other college head coaches. In fact, Rich Rodriguez was making more money coaching at West Virginia than Carr was coaching at Michigan.

It is being reported that the average salary will be around $2.5 million a year in the new contract. that still doesn't put him into the top 5 salaries in college football. In fact, it isn't even the most in the Big Ten. Nick Saban, (remember that greedy bastard I was telling you about?) makes $4 million at Alabama. That is the highest salary in the country for college coaches. Kirk Ferentz is the highest paid coach in the Big Ten at $2.8 million a year.

Those are the teams, in college, that already "outbid" Michigan. On top of this, the NFL tends to pay their coaches even more than colleges do. There are PLENTY of potential candidates to outbid Michigan in the future.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4192
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan ain't Alabama.

Carr didn't demand such a salary; there was no threat of him leaving, so there was no reason to dump $ into him. He was very satisfied with what he got. Your comparison there on salaries is completely nonsensical, but what else is new?

Kenp

Post Number: 927
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I get a kick out of the MSU group always popping up when a UM issue is out there. Dont you guys have your own issues to talk about. Its an obsession I think.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 456
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citylover,

Simple minded? What is the average lifespan of coaches these days? 3-5 years tends to be the typical length of time most teams switchover coaches these day.

That is the reality of modern college football. Look how many storied and successful programs have gone through several coaching changes in the past decade or so. Ohio State, Alabama, LSU, Notre Dame, USC, Florida and Oklahoma are all on their 3rd coach in the past 15 years (average of a new head coach every 5 years).

Michigan has been the exception to the norm in that Rodriguez is only their 4th coaches in the last 38 year. However, along with the new schemes and play calling comes the new realities of how coaches view their current positions.

The age of "Michigan Men" and supreme loyalty to the university by the coaching staff is leaving Schembechler Hall along with Lloyd Carr. For better or for worse, Carr was that last connection to the days of Bo when loyalty to the university topped everything else. Now you, as Michigan fans, must prepare to face the modern reality of coaches who put themselves before the school they coach.

If you call it transparent I guess that is up to you, but this is REALITY. Eventually you are going to have to deal with it. Just don't say you haven't been warned.

Thejesus

Post Number: 3071
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^not that it really matters, but Rodriguez does have a Bo connection in having played for and succeeded Don Nehlen...

El_jimbo

Post Number: 457
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kenp,

Well if there were discussions of MSU topics on here we probably would. However, MSU stuff really isn't a "Detroit issue" (neither is UM stuff for that matter). However, as a general sports fan, I'm willing to talk just about any sports. Especially since a lot of the other threads on here don't particularly interest me that much at the moment.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 461
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, just to prove that it isn't just Spartans saying what I've been saying, here's a clip from today's ESPN Page two.

"Consider Rodriguez, the latest high-profile walkout. The Charleston, W.Va., Gazette reports that after Rodriguez decided to walk out on West Virginia, he spoke to his players for a mere 10 minutes -- no questions, please! -- before exiting through a side door and heading to the airport for a flight to Michigan. These are players to whom Rodriguez surely made elaborate promises during recruiting. In December 2006, when some recruits were hesitant to sign letters of intent with the Mountaineers owing to rumors that Rodriguez would leave, he reassured them by publicly declaring he would stay at West Virginia "for a very, very long time." The moment there was something in it for him -- a pay increase from $1.9 million at West Virginia to a reported $3 million annual salary at Michigan -- Rodriguez shafted his players. The Detroit Free Press asserts that even before Rodriguez announced he was leaving for Michigan, he called Terrelle Pryor, this fall's most sought-after high school player, and urged Pryor to enroll at Michigan rather than at West Virginia. Immediately after there was something in it for him, Rodriguez shafted his former employer.

And this is the coach Michigan wants! Someone whose word is not bond; someone who, if the Free Press account is accurate, actively tried to double-cross his previous school. Wolverines: If Rodriguez is a fiasco at Michigan, don't say you weren't warned. And the history of selfish coaches suggests that fiasco will come calling. Petrino, Saban, Price, Franchione, Fairbanks, Parcells -- which of these guys did really well after walking out on a commitment for self-serving reasons?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn /page2/story?page=easterbrook/ 071218&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2 pos1

Thejesus

Post Number: 3076
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Coaches should never change jobs. got it. thanks for chiming in. ::rolls eyes into back of head and gets excited about future of Michigan football::

Citylover

Post Number: 2797
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eljimbo the tenor of all your posts on this thread smack of resentment and envy. The fact is Michigan got about as good a coach as they could. And as I said before you and the other state fans would literally be drooling had rodriguez gone to state.

So far on this thread you are the only one that has consistently predicted the outcome of this hire. I won't make any predictions other then I think MSU might beat M next fall. As for how rodriguez will do no one knows.What is known is that he was one of the very best coaches M or any team could have gotten.

So when I call you et,al transparent it is because you where your feelings on your sleeve......you hate um..........so you attempt ridiculous tries at discrediting the coach m hired.

As for the michigan way it is and has been time for a change. Michigan hired the best guy the could for the job_time will tell how it all turns out.

Higgs1634

Post Number: 266
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

As for the michigan way it is and has been time for a change. Michigan hired the best guy the could for the job_time will tell how it all turns out.

From all the chest thumping out of Ann Arbor about the "Michigan Way" and what makes a "Michigan Man", pardon me for being just a little surprised and bemused at the hire. Especially now with all his nickel and dime b.s. attempts at getting out of the buy out clause. A Coach changing jobs is one thing, but do "Michigan Men" try to walk out on contractual obligations? Do "Michigan Men" call recruits to urge defection on the eve of their resignation?

ANY other school hires a guy who does this and you'd all be calling it shady and talking about how other schools have to do that to be successful, but Michigan doesn't. Hey, at least we won't have to hear that anymore.

I harbor no resentment or envy for UM. I did respect the program however. It was as close to a "model program" that there is. Now you've hired a mercenary and you're all ok with it. I find that amazing. I would think that the defenders of the "Michigan way" would have some problems with this guy and the way he was hired. I guess I would think you'd all be a little less breathlessly enthusiastic about abandoning the "Michigan Way" for another win or two a year ... guess not. Definitely an end of an era.

Thejesus

Post Number: 3085
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Man you have no idea what you're talking about, at all. Negotiating around a buyout clause is standard business practice.

Both sides usually fail to meet at least some of their obligations under the contract and the buyout clause gets adjusted to reflect this.

That's all that's happening here. Rodriguez's attorneys are basically saying, "Ok, we agreed to X and the contract says we are to be penalized $4m if we don't fulfill X, but you agreed to Y and failed to fulfill that obligation as well. Therefore, since a court of law would likely find that we are both in breach of the contract, let's negotiate and reach an agreement on a dollar amount that we both feel is fair."

If what Rodriguez is doing was really as dishonorable as you're trying so hard to make it sound and the University is completely in the right, then the school would just go to court and enforce the full amount of the buyout clause.

However, if they choose to settle for an amount that is lower than what is stated in the contract, it means that they acknowledge that a court of law would likely find that they failed to fulfill some of their obligations, in which case they are willing to accept a reduction in the amount stated to reflect their breach.

Rjk

Post Number: 994
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan tried to play nice when they attempted to hire Miles and they got played like a violin by LSU. In the process everyone goofed on them and called them inept. Lesson learned.
Drew Sharp has an excellent column about this in the Freep. The first line is, "Welcome to the 21st Century, Michigan."

RR a mercenary? Please.

Citylover

Post Number: 2798
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I harbor no resentment or envy for UM". ........Higgs1634

Of course you don't.............. as stated before you state fans would have drooled to have rodriguez

Higgs1634

Post Number: 267
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

RR a mercenary? Please.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens if Alabama comes calling again...or anyone who offers more money for that matter.

quote:

Of course you don't.............. as stated before you state fans would have drooled to have rodriguez

And as has been repeatedly stated, 5 years ago...sure. IF this is who they came up with instead of Dantonio? After being burned by JLS? Not so much. It's not like he wasn't any less available during the search for Dantonio. All it would have taken was a big pile of dough.

quote:

Drew Sharp has an excellent column about this in the Freep. The first line is, "Welcome to the 21st Century, Michigan."

You mean the one titled "To play ball, UM gives up its principles"?

The one where he goes on to say:
quote:

There's nothing honorable about snatching a coach away from his team amid bowl preparations. There's nothing admirable about Rodriguez reportedly notifying his former employers about his decision to leave via a written message delivered by a graduate assistant.

(Message edited by higgs1634 on December 19, 2007)

Citylover

Post Number: 2799
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry higgs but msu aint alabama.In short he (rodriguez) would not have left wv for msu

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 851
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New administration, same arrogant fans...

Citylover, he just may have left for MSU. UM people have been speaking so much about how poor his situation was there, and how much he wanted to get out of there if the situation was right. Contrary to the performance on the field, the coaching position at MSU is still a desired one. BCS Conference, new facilities, competitive pay. It's not a step down from the big east at all.

(Message edited by detroitstar on December 19, 2007)

Citylover

Post Number: 2800
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it(msu) is not a step up from the big east; um is.

Higgs1634

Post Number: 268
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City, apparently Greg Schiano didn't think so. :-)

Kenp

Post Number: 931
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Schiano will be Penn States coach some day, thats his dream job. He actually was coming to UM then changed his mind. There are rumors floating about that Paterno is retiring after the bowl game.
Dantonio came from a big east school, and MSU was an upgrade for sure.
However I dont think for a second RR would have gone to MSU if they wanted him.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 852
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MSU would never have been able to afford DickRod because we are stuck with a horrible buyout of the Cowboy. MSU learned it's lesson when they lost $aban to LSU, and you can be sure they will not make similar stupid financial coaching moves for as long as Simon is the president.

I think Rodriguez will be succesful at UM. I think he will struggle for a year or two max, but I see them competing for a title soon. I do think he will leave UM for a better job though. I will not be shocked when he goes to the Big 12, SEC, or NFL within 5 seasons.

Kenp

Post Number: 932
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DickRod?

Thejesus

Post Number: 3086
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I will not be shocked when he goes to the Big 12, SEC, or NFL within 5 seasons."

There aren't any jobs in college football worth leaving UM, and you can't run the spread option in the NFL because the linebackers are too fast...that why no one does it.

He'll either retire here or get fired if this spread option thing doesn't work out.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1804
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"There aren't any jobs in college football worth leaving UM"

Thats a Delusional Michigan fan comment if I have ever seen one. If any of the traditionally elite schools such as USC, LSU, or Ohio State has a opening and pays more then yes there is a great chance this coach or any coach will leave. Michigan ain't the destination many Michigan fans think it is.

Citylover

Post Number: 2801
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And mich is worth leaving any one of those football programs for_

The um of mich football program is a top ten always and usually a top five program. Why you all try to discredit the obvious is of no interest. It is amusing.But also kinda pathetic.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 853
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Top 5 or top 10 programs win more than .5 national championships in a 50 year window. Michigan is a top 10-15 program in the overall picture.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1805
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really? Then why couldn't you guys snag Miles or if you all are that awesome why didn't you offer a contract to Pete Carroll or some other coach at an elite program? After all its Michigan right "and mich is worth leaving any one of those football programs for"

Umstucoach

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Top 5 or top 10 programs win more than .5 national championships in a 50 year window. Michigan is a top 10-15 program in the overall picture."

Or they could have the most wins and highest winning percentage out of anybody in D1-A. That could be a criterion instead of a MNC, which is, in reality, mythical, until an actual playoff is instituted.

If USC, OSU and LSU are more elite...where where they 6-7 years ago. LSU is a top team now, but they had SEVEN losing seasons in the 90s. Pete Caroll's had a very nice run at USC, but before he got there the last time they had 10+ wins was in 1988. And I'm sure you're well aware of OSU prior to the Sweatervest.

But yeah, sure, there are 10-15 other schools that can boast this too:

The University of Michigan
Winningest school in college football history (868 wins).
.746 all-time winning percentage (highest in college football).
Highest all-time strength of schedule rating in college football.
11 National Championships: (1901, 1902, 1903, 1904, 1918, 1923, 1932, 1933, 1947, 1948, 1997)
42 conference championships (more than any school in any single conference).
114 winning seasons (most in college football).
25 undefeated seasons (more than any other Division 1-A school).
1 of only 3 schools with a winning record vs. every Division 1-A conference including independents.
56 game unbeaten streak (2nd longest in college football history).
40 straight years without a losing season (longest ongoing streak in the nation).
33 straight bowl appearances (longest ongoing streak in the nation).
#1 ranking all-time in composite final AP polls (1936-2006).
Winning record against all major rivals (OSU: 57-41-1, ND: 20-14-1, MSU: 67-28-5)
Longest ongoing streak in the nation without being shut-out (287 games).
Longest ongoing streak in the nation without a loss to a sub .500 team (last loss in 1996).
150 First Team All-Americans (18 two-time winners, 2 three-time winners).
32 College Football Hall of Famers.
3 Heisman Trophy Winners: (Tom Harmon 1940, Desmond Howard 1991, Charles Woodson 1997)
77 NFL Pro Bowl participants.
7 NFL Hall of Famers.
3 Super Bowl MVPs: (Desmond Howard 1997, Tom Brady 2002, 2004)
#1 in attendance every year but one since 1974 (208 straight games with over 100,000 in attendance).
Most televised school in college football history (381 televised games).
"The Victors" is the only fight song inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.
Best Fight Song: Michigan - Sports Illustrated
Best Helmet in Football: Michigan - ESPN's "End of Century" Special
Best Uniform in Sports: Michigan football - ESPN2's 64 Team Bracket Results
#1 Sports Rivalry: Michigan vs. Ohio State - ESPN's "Top 10 Greatest Sports Rivalries"

Citylover

Post Number: 2802
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would carroll leave? and btw he was not the 1st choice of usc........

You are the one that claimed those were programs worth leaving michigan for. Tell me the last time a M football coach left for a better job.

Jesus fucking christ are you all so self
delusional and dishonest with yourselves that you are literally incapable of admitting the obvious?

Um is an elite program.That is a fact. Miles has a buy out clause pertaining to um. If it had not been rodriguez it would have been another blue chip coach. The reputation, history and prestige of um make it one of the top and definitely the top vacant coach position this year.

It really is sad that you can not just acknowledge what everyone already knows.

Higgs1634

Post Number: 269
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Miles has a buy out clause pertaining to um.

Um... so WVU had no buy out clause on Rod? Pretty sure Miles' was way less that 4 mill.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1520
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I wonder why anyone would be stupid enough to leave U of M for Ohio State? If anyone did that, they would have a hard time coming back to Ann Arbor for the next Michigan/Ohio State game.

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nobody's as swell as his beautiful wife Rita. What a gem!

Thejesus

Post Number: 3092
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Then why couldn't you guys snag Miles or if you all are that awesome why didn't you offer a contract to Pete Carroll or some other coach at an elite program?"

Miles was never offered the job because word is that he humped Gary Moeller's wife back when he was an assistant at UM which is why the Carr camp does think too highly of him...he even said himself today during a press conference that the UM job was never offered to him

And USC is a destination in college football, not a stepping stone, same as Michigan...real college football fans know this

(Message edited by thejesus on December 19, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.