Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » New Color Footage of 1946 Detroit Golden Jubilee « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Polaar
Username: Polaar

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found this in some recently unearthed home movies shot by my grandfather, and posted it to youtube today. Some nice color scenes of mid-40s downtown Detroit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Yk0UU9T9pD0

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How cool is that? Color film, too! Loved the floats, thanks for posting that.

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Around the :15 mark there's something that looks like a photo someone was trying to identify a few weeks ago. I can't find the thread now, but I know someone suggested it was at the World's fair...Apparently not.

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 38
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found it, here's you're answer, Caquail.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/120788.html?1196338958

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2419
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good work, jeremy. That jumped out at me, too.

I was at that parade, but don't remember much about it. Guess I'd of been 10 at the time.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1479
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom was in the parade. There was a big cake set-up in Grand Circus and she danced on top of the cake with the other little girls from her ballet school.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4057
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Serendipity2!

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2452
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Golden Jubilee of what?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2645
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What else, but the Automobile!!

Last year the Detroit Public Library hosted an exhibit on this subject at the Skillman Branch downtown where their National Automotive History Collection is housed. Their website devoted to that exhibition is still accessible at: http://www.detroit.lib.mi.us/G oldenJubileeExhibit/GJ%20WEB/I _1946_Jubilee.htm

Here's the introduction:

"1946 was a year of tumult and excitement in the Motor City. The Allies had prevailed in World War II, in no small part due to the extraordinary efforts of Detroit's industries. The year also marked the 50th anniversary of the American automobile and the 150th anniversary of the raising of the flag over Wayne County. Detroit was booming and filled with justified pride. This enthusiasm culminated in the Automotive Golden Jubilee.

The Golden Jubilee was a salute to the city's wartime industry and its transformation to peacetime bounty and abundance. The Jubilee planners arose from the business community, especially the auto industry, and they planned the massive celebration in just two months. The Jubilee was full of flashy cars, futuristic technology, celebrities, and entertainment representing all of the city's ethnic groups.

The economy was in the midst of difficult adjustments from wartime production back to a peacetime consumer economy. Strikes were militant and rampant, especially in the heavy industries of the Midwest. Detroit's unresolved racial tensions and social growing pains seemed more profound than other cities in the industrial belt.

The Jubilee was to be a gala event on the scale of a world's fair, which would demonstrate to the entire world Detroit's civic unity and continued prosperity. This is the forgotten story of the awe-inspiring twelve-day spectacle which amplified Detroit's strengths and some of its weaknesses. ..."

Subsequent webpages include:

Introduction: The 1946 Automotive Golden Jubilee
Wartime Detroit: The Arsenal Of Democracy
Politics and Pressures: Racial Tensions & Post-War Strikes
Planning the Golden Jubilee
A Detroit First: Peacetime Atomic Power
The Motor City Cavalcade
The Automotive Pioneers
Detroit's Road to Unity

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2455
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would it have been too much to ask that the thread had included the word "Automotive" before the words Golden Jubilee?

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 99
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While searching YouTube, I found this color footage of Detroit, 1954.
There are three parts.
Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =QQxrhiraoUg&feature=related

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 514
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gingellgirl: In that video at about :53 there is a bar called the Brass Rail. I thought it looked familiar. The carvings were relocated and are now the front of Kruse & Muer in Rochester.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1948 advertisement:

Brass Rail

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1941
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GM sure had a large hand in the event--although the rotating tilt-top table with the car on top looks to be a Nash, at the beginning of the clip.
I noticed the Grinell bros. float with the dueling Hammond Organs!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.